TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

OaO Oklahoma Football Thread

I don't think I'd put Michigan that high on the all time list...they don't really have all that many nat. titles. They're kinda like the Kansas of football in that regard, heh. Sure in basketball Kansas has all sorts of wins all time, but can you seriously put them up with Kentucky, UCLA, Indiana, UNC, and Duke when they only have 2 titles? I'm hazy on the exact # of titles Michigan has but I recall in 97 when they won it they said it was their first in about 50 years.

Dama, look. They don't like giving two Heismans to someone and they don't like giving it to a freshman...thus White and Peterson will kinda cancel each other out. It'll go to Matt Leinart or something.

I don't think I'd put Michigan that high on the all time list...they don't really have all that many nat. titles. They're kinda like the Kansas of football in that regard, heh. Sure in basketball Kansas has all sorts of wins all time, but can you seriously put them up with Kentucky, UCLA, Indiana, UNC, and Duke when they only have 2 titles? I'm hazy on the exact # of titles Michigan has but I recall in 97 when they won it they said it was their first in about 50 years.

Dama, look. They don't like giving two Heismans to someone and they don't like giving it to a freshman...thus White and Peterson will kinda cancel each other out. It'll go to Matt Leinart or something.

I thought Michigan football had the same number of titles as OU. 7.

Anyways yeah they don't like giving it to someone twice but really.....who else? Smith is the only one in the Top 5 that should get it.

You know the Final 5 is down to Smith, Bush, White, Leinhart, and Peterson.

If Utah loses to BYU(unlikely) or Smith doesn't turn in a record performance he'll be out of the running.

I mean Ivan Maisel may have been joking but what he was saying really does reflect how the voters are thinking. They still don't trust Utah or it's players and he said "If Smith so much as trips walking off the field against BYU then I'm giving it to White."

And that is probably the general feeling.

Leinhart doesn't deserve it at this point and I think the voters are realizing that with White being the overwhelming favorite in every Heisman poll.

Well we don't choke as much as the A's and we have more prominence in college football than the Cardinals do in baseball......what about the Dodgers or Red Sox of FB?

Notre Dame had better start winning again b/c I don't think the Yankees ever sucked as long as ND has.

Also what all did Barry do wrong when he was the coach? I know he used ineligible players but what else did he do to get us slapped with probation?

Oh and another funny thing is that he's a legend around here in Norman. People respect what he did on the field but as a person I don't think I've met a person that liked Barry. They all say he's an egomanical jackass and isn't very pleasurable to be around. That and he pisses a lot of white athletes off b/c he believed that black athletes were superior in every way(whether that's true or not is another debate) and if at all possible tried not to recruit white boys.

Well we don't choke as much as the A's and we have more prominence in college football than the Cardinals do in baseball......what about the Dodgers or Red Sox of FB?

Notre Dame had better start winning again b/c I don't think the Yankees ever sucked as long as ND has.

Umm... Cardinals are among the most storied teams in baseball history. Their rivalry with the Cubs are among the best. How can you say OU is more storied compared to the Cardinals? *Remembers the bias* Ahh don't answer that question.

Dama, as a Cards fan I will just laugh at the comparison, OU would love to be the St. Louis Cardinals of college football.

My guess is that this year's Heisman winner gets the lowest number of 1st place votes.

Well I wasn't aware of how storied the Cards are. New fan here. I didn't even know there were baseball teams outside of Boston and New York until this past year. Let's cut some slack!(don't take my words literally on the not knowing like some of you like to do)

Anyways fine Sass I'll take that comparison. Seems how they are one of the more storied college FB teams and have plenty of accolades to back it up.

Depending on who you talk to Michigan has anywhere from 12 to 6 national titles. And you have to put them higher than OU as far as being one of programs you identify college football with.

Yes but if any man can do it IMO it's Stoops. The guy is an amazing coach and I think he could pull off a couple more National titles. Hell he won 1 his second year. Was in a position to win one last year but had an injured QB and he's in a position to win one this season!

why do you keep bringing up the injured qb thing as far as last year goes. Thats like saying well yeah Michigan would have won in all in 2001 if Drew Henson wouldn't have went to the Yankees or Miami would have won in 2002 if Dorsey wouldn't have been knocked out the game and not been 100% in overtime. He should not have been in that game last season no matter the circumstances, and in 2000, let's be honest he didn't play Miami or Washignton who were both better than Florida State that year. Stoops has had two seasons, 2000 and this year, for now where he has had the team in position to play for the national title

I bring it up for when people say that he doesn't deserve the Heisman b/c of his performance. Well there's a reason he performed like that. If he was 100% healthy and performing like that then yeah no Heisman. But he was injured to hell so you can't hold it against him.

And lucky he didn't play Miami or Washington? So now are you saying he didn't deserve that National Title? I tell you people will find anyway to undermine OU's success. They were the only undefeated team. They deserved it and they got it.

Well we're in a pickle today. If we blow Baylor out people are going to say "So what?" or "How dare they pick on that poor team and run up the score!" if we don't people will say "What's the problem? You can't blow out Baylor?"

Stoops decision appears to be to run the football all day.

And it looks like Stoops has decided to be a sportsman today. He has Baylor down 35-0 with like 6 minutes left and he calls off the dogs and sends in the B-team offense.

I bring it up for when people say that he doesn't deserve the Heisman b/c of his performance. Well there's a reason he performed like that. If he was 100% healthy and performing like that then yeah no Heisman. But he was injured to hell so you can't hold it against him.

And lucky he didn't play Miami or Washington? So now are you saying he didn't deserve that National Title? I tell you people will find anyway to undermine OU's success. They were the only undefeated team. They deserved it and they got it.

If I talk about Jason White not playing well in big games, I'm not talking about last year against Kansas State or LSU. I'm talking about this year against Texas. Look at these numbers:

14-26 for 113 yards with 0 TDs and 2 INTs.

Really, why should Cedric Benson be punished for a bad game against OU when Jason White had an even worse one on the same field. The only difference between the two was that White had Adrian Peterson to carry him while Benson had Vince Young who's about as likely to step up in a big game as Ashlee Simpson is to give a great live performance.

No, I'm saying if they would have played either one of those teams they would have gotten their doors blown off.

If I talk about Jason White not playing well in big games, I'm not talking about last year against Kansas State or LSU. I'm talking about this year against Texas. Look at these numbers:

Really, why should Cedric Benson be punished for a bad game against OU when Jason White had an even worse one on the same field. The only difference between the two was that White had Adrian Peterson to carry him while Benson had Vince Young who's about as likely to step up in a big game as Ashlee Simpson is to give a great live performance.

Yet White pretty much kept them alive in the OSU game and WON the Texas A&M game......hmmm.........that's why he deserves it. Every other game he's been ON and he won OU's toughest game pretty much by throwing 5 TD's. And the A&M game was a day where AD had a bad day but White was there.

Fact is that White deserves it out of the Top 4 if Smith is left out b/c his stats this year are amazing and he's just been better than Leinhart, Bush, and Peterson.

No, I'm saying if they would have played either one of those teams they would have gotten their doors blown off.

You don't know that for sure. They were the only undefeated team and the Big XII was by no means down that year.

They deserved it and you can't really say they'd lose to those teams b/c it didn't happen. Everyone though FSU was going to blow them away and they kicked the shit out of them. Same could happend against the other two teams. We don't know so you're saying it like it's a fact. Not a fact.

Everyone likes to diminish any accomplishment OU makes......

If I am not mistaken Kansas is where Naismith coached... you know the guy who invented the game. They have so much history and tradition and hell its one of the 5 or 6 schools I would send my son to if I had one and he could hit the open three. Besides, Duke has what three titles, and Carolina has what two or three same for Indiana. And what schools in football are honestly more prestigious than Michigan other than arguably USC, Notre Dame, Alabama, and OU

Yet White pretty much kept them alive in the OSU game and WON the Texas A&M game......hmmm.........that's why he deserves it. Every other game he's been ON and he won OU's toughest game pretty much by throwing 5 TD's. And the A&M game was a day where AD had a bad day but White was there.

Fact is that White deserves it out of the Top 4 if Smith is left out b/c his stats this year are amazing and he's just been better than Leinhart, Bush, and Peterson.

You could say pretty much the same thing for Cedric Benson. He ran for five TDs in the huge comeback against OSU, ran for 188 yards running and catching a touchdown in the late comeback against Arkansas, and hasn't had a game below 144 yards all year except for the OU/Texas game.

Just when I thought I was finished they pull me back in......

Anyways I agree on Benson. I don't understand why the guy doesn't get more Heisman hype. Brotha' has one bad game a season against a team that it's hard to have a great game against and people discount him.

Everyone seems to put it on him to win the Red River Shooutout when we know that OU is going to stack the box and make sure Benson does shit. So then it falls on the shoulders of the QB at Texas and when you can't throw the football then you're going to have trouble.

People shouldn't put it on Benson to beat OU.

Benson has definitely moved right back into the mix of Heisman contenders. Right now it might be down to him, White, and Smith. Reasons:

1. USC is throwing their Heisman push behind Leinhart, which is a mistake because Reggie Bush has been their best player this year, and Leinhart's numbers are not as good as White's and Smith's. Bush could be a challenger but if his own school is not supporting his candidacy he's not going to win it. So I don't think either guy will win.

2. White and Smith both have unspectacular games. White was solid but did nothing special, while Smith had a poor game (probably his worst of the season) with a large number of media and fans watching. So neither guy really gained any separation from the other, while Benson had another good game.

3. Peterson's TD numbers are not all that high, plus being a freshman will unfairly hurt him in the voting. Plus White is likely to get the push for OU.

You don't know that for sure. They were the only undefeated team and the Big XII was by no means down that year.

They deserved it and you can't really say they'd lose to those teams b/c it didn't happen. Everyone though FSU was going to blow them away and they kicked the shit out of them. Same could happend against the other two teams. We don't know so you're saying it like it's a fact. Not a fact.

Everyone likes to diminish any accomplishment OU makes......

I think that is more of a commentary of why there needs to be a playoff in college football, but Oklahoma did what they had to do and deserve that national title.

A guy was just in my store that's from San Diego. He said he's live in Oklahoma for 2 years now and he said that he was just shocked at how into college fb we are.

I've heard this from other people that come from areas with large market pro teams they just can't believe that we can get into it this much.

He was like "I mean you have all these rivlaries and you even have OU and OSU stores! I mean there weren't any SDSU stores where I lived!"

Does anyone else live in a market where people are this into college fb?

A guy was just in my store that's from San Diego. He said he's live in Oklahoma for 2 years now and he said that he was just shocked at how into college fb we are.

I've heard this from other people that come from areas with large market pro teams they just can't believe that we can get into it this much.

He was like "I mean you have all these rivlaries and you even have OU and OSU stores! I mean there weren't any SDSU stores where I lived!"

Does anyone else live in a market where people are this into college fb?

I live in Eugene, Oregon.

Hell I grew up in a football mad town where we put out two national title winning coaches from the same graduating class and then I move out to Ann Arbor for school and this place is just football mad. You can't go anywhere in the city without seeing something about the football team or the University. The entire state of Michigan is pretty hardcore about football all the way from the great high school ball played here to the DII powerhouses to Michigan and Michigan State

Actually, Missoula's really into football. It's only I-AA, but they always lead the country in attendance and everybody follows the football team.

There's only 100,000 people in the whole county, and there are no other real cities for 60 or 70 miles, but they can still sell out a 24,000 seat stadium with only a small student presence.

They actually have a lot of conference games where their traveling contingent represents half the fans in attendance at the stadium.

Well, I bought some OU barbque sauce at the grocery store yesterday. I wonder if other schools have that much mass marketing going on.

Was it made by a fat man in a black Stetson?

Jim Ross was on the radio before the Nebraska game. His prediction suprisingly wasn't OU 246 Nebraska -24.

It was like 42-13.