TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Olympic Slam

The Republican Wish List

If I move to America, would I be entitled to special priveleges as a minority (Australian and 25% Jewish)?

Nah. The left doesn't like Jews enough to do it.

-=Mike

Oh the left likes Jews, they just don't need to exploit them for personal gain.

Ugh...this is getting old but I guess I'll keep going. I'm not even completely sold on AA but I'll keep going.

The system does not require a company to hire unqualified people to meet its goals. Also the goals are flexible, since they are derived from the (changing) number of qualified minority and female workers in the region. Also, if the company fails to meet its goal, the goal is simply re-established the next year -- and the next and the next, as long as the company fails to find qualified people. This is far different from a rigid quota system, in which a company must hire a certain percentage of minorities and women, or else be penalized by a judge.

Guest MikeSC
Ugh...this is getting old but I guess I'll keep going. I'm not even completely sold on AA but I'll keep going.

The system does not require a company to hire unqualified people to meet its goals. Also the goals are flexible, since they are derived from the (changing) number of qualified minority and female workers in the region. Also, if the company fails to meet its goal, the goal is simply re-established the next year -- and the next and the next, as long as the company fails to find qualified people. This is far different from a rigid quota system, in which a company must hire a certain percentage of minorities and women, or else be penalized by a judge.

They could simply say "Hire the most qualified person". If a company is racist, it'll be made public and the public outcry will force them to change their ways immediately.

Seems like a much better plan.

-=Mike

Can you quote or cite one of these studies?

A. R. Pratkanis & M. E. Turner, The proactive removal of discriminatory barriers: Affirmative action as effective help (1995). Manuscript submitted for publication. Reported in Faye Crosby, Audrey Murrell, John Dovidio, Rupert Nacoste, Anthony Pratkanis, Janet Helms, "Affirmative Action: Who Benefits?", a briefing paper of the American Psychological Association, Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues, Society for the Psychological Study of Ethnic Minority Issues.

A 1995 U.S. Department of Labor study found that whites filed only 3,000 reverse discrimination cases that year, and almost all of them were found to be without merit. Fewer than 100 cases actually involved reverse discrimination, and only in six cases could the claims be substantiated.

Source: R. Wilson, Affirmative Action: Yesterday, Today, and Beyond (Washington, DC: American Council on Education, May, 1995).

Guest MikeSC

A. R. Pratkanis & M. E. Turner, The proactive removal of discriminatory barriers: Affirmative action as effective help (1995). Manuscript submitted for publication. Reported in Faye Crosby, Audrey Murrell, John Dovidio, Rupert Nacoste, Anthony Pratkanis, Janet Helms, "Affirmative Action: Who Benefits?", a briefing paper of the American Psychological Association, Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues, Society for the Psychological Study of Ethnic Minority Issues.

A 1995 U.S. Department of Labor study found that whites filed only 3,000 reverse discrimination cases that year, and almost all of them were found to be without merit. Fewer than 100 cases actually involved reverse discrimination, and only in six cases could the claims be substantiated.

Source: R. Wilson, Affirmative Action: Yesterday, Today, and Beyond (Washington, DC: American Council on Education, May, 1995).

In all honesty, whites don't file those suits because we know they won't be taken seriously, no matter how legitimate the complaint. Why waste the effort?

-=Mike

If I move to America, would I be entitled to special priveleges as a minority (Australian and 25% Jewish)?

Aussies aren't a race, and Jews are just another group of white people as far as most Americans are concerned.

I wish some folks would get together, restore the economy to it's Clinton-era "glory" so can avoid 4 more years of how Bush is bed with big corporations.

Iraq. End it. Don't care how. Hand it to the U.N. and watch them screw it up worse, I guess.

Once we're down to the leftists whining about a president "raping the environment" and pretending as if they've personally dumped a million barrels of nuclear waste into our rivers and streams because they've slightly loosened pollution controls (and refuses to follow Kyoto, like every other industrialized nation is right now, you know), then we know everything's okay.

Ugh...this is getting old but I guess I'll keep going.  I'm not even completely sold on AA but I'll keep going.

They could simply say "Hire the most qualified person". If a company is racist, it'll be made public and the public outcry will force them to change their ways immediately.

-=Mike

Studies of hiring practices consistently show that when a black man and a white man or a white woman and a white man have essentially the same job qualifications and interview habits, the white man will be chosen over the competitor as much as 45% more often.

Guest MikeSC
Ugh...this is getting old but I guess I'll keep going.  I'm not even completely sold on AA but I'll keep going.

-=Mike

Studies of hiring practices consistently show that when a black man and a white man or a white woman and a white man have essentially the same job qualifications and interview habits, the white man will be chosen over the competitor as much as 45% more often.

And I'll say that it is bullshit.

-=Mike

...I do not believe that completely equal --- experience et al --- benefits whites 45% of the time, considering how fucking idiotic some of my black bosses were...

Guest MikeSC
Whatever.

You are an angry, angry man.

And anecdotes aren't going to convince anyone of anything.

You don't know me, so don't pretend to understand me.

And until I can read the study, it reeks of utter bullshit. Up there with the "100,000 Iraqis dead" study.

-=Mike

All I did was try to present some information and you called it "bullshit" and then went on a rant about your "fucking idiotic" black bosses.

Sounds like anger to me.

Guest MikeSC

All I did was try to present some information and you called it "bullshit" and then went on a rant about your "fucking idiotic" black bosses.

Sounds like anger to me.

No, it is referencing to your habit of posting utter bullshit and a mention that I've worked for plenty of inept black bosses.

-=Mike

Referencing to my habit? Learn some grammar there, big guy.

I might not like everything you post, but I don't call it "bullshit".

From this point on, I'm not going to attack you personally anymore.

Flame me as you will.

Guest MikeSC
Referencing to my habit? Learn some grammer there, big guy.

Hint: Your problems go WAY beyond grammatical issues.

I might not like everything you post, but I don't call it "bullshit".

From this point on, I'm not going to attack you personally anymore. 

Flame me as you will.

Funny, because I didn't even initiate the flaming.

-=Mike

A MikeSC--seriously--what have I posted that was such bullshit. I really try not to post misleading things or things that I think are inaccurate. I thought you and I had a pretty good discussion in the "Iraqi Elections" thread.

I posted the one partisan thing from the Nation about the Republican senators.

Please don't hold the stupid shit I posted on election night against me. I was drunk and depressed =)

Guest Olympic Slam
Once we're down to the leftists whining about a president "raping the environment" and pretending as if they've personally dumped a million barrels of nuclear waste into our rivers and streams because they've slightly loosened pollution controls (and refuses to follow Kyoto, like every other industrialized nation is right now, you know), then we know everything's okay.

This reminds me of something I want on the wish-list:

- Bush should not sign the Kyoto treaty

Guest TheLastBoyscout
B00007KQA3.01._PE25_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I thought it was this.

Nah, 1984 feels dated with it's "IngSoc" compared to the "up to the minute-ness" of THM's religous fascist regime.

Aussies aren't a race, and Jews are just another group of white people as far as most Americans are concerned.

I wish some folks would get together, restore the economy to it's Clinton-era "glory" so can avoid 4 more years of how Bush is bed with big corporations.

Iraq. End it. Don't care how. Hand it to the U.N. and watch them screw it up worse, I guess.

As of November 2004, 127 countries have ratified the protocol, including Canada, People's Republic of China, India, Japan, New Zealand, Russia and the twenty-five countries of the European Union, as well as Romania and Bulgaria.

Fourteen other countries have signed the protocol but not ratified it. Of those six are Annex I countries:

Australia (not intending to ratify)

Croatia

Liechtenstein

Monaco

Switzerland -- Switzerland passed the CO2 law on October 8, 1999 which should allow it to achieve its target of 8% below 1990 levels by 2010. The Kyoto Protocol has been ratified by the Senate but not yet by the House of Representatives. [5] (http://www.admin.ch/uvek/doku/presse/1999/d/99100802.htm) [6] (http://www.ieta.org/Library_Links/IETAEnvNews/Dec13_Swiss.htm)

United States -- The US, the largest emitter of greenhouse gases, does not intend to ratify the protocol. (See below)

Some countries that have signed but not yet ratified are: Egypt, Indonesia, Kazakhstan, Philippines, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, and the Solomon Islands.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyoto_Treaty#Support_for_Kyoto

Guest Fire and Knives

I like how we pick fights over statistics and ignore the idea of treating 'black people' like 'people'.

On behalf of the actual left, I am disowning the lot of you.

K.

The world's second-largest emitter of greenhouse gases is China. Yet, China was entirely exempted from the requirements of the Kyoto Protocol. This is a challenge that requires a 100 percent effort; ours, and the rest of the world's. America's unwillingness to embrace a flawed treaty should not be read by our friends and allies as any abdication of responsibility. To the contrary, my administration is committed to a leadership role on the issue of climate change. Our approach must be consistent with the long-term goal of stabilizing greenhouse gas concentrations in the atmosphere.

Maybe we'd have ratified your stupid treaty if we weren't getting shafted by it.

The world's second-largest emitter of greenhouse gases is China. Yet, China was entirely exempted from the requirements of the Kyoto Protocol. This is a challenge that requires a 100 percent effort; ours, and the rest of the world's. America's unwillingness to embrace a flawed treaty should not be read by our friends and allies as any abdication of responsibility. To the contrary, my administration is committed to a leadership role on the issue of climate change. Our approach must be consistent with the long-term goal of stabilizing greenhouse gas concentrations in the atmosphere.

Maybe we'd have ratified your stupid treaty if we weren't getting shafted by it.

"China emits 2,893 million metric tons of CO2 per year (2.3 tons per capita). This compares to 5,410 million from the USA (20.1 tons per capita), and 3,171 million from the EU (8.5 tons per capita). China has since ratified the Kyoto Protocol, and is expected to become an Annex I country within the next decade. The US Natural Resources Defense Council, stated in June 2001 that: "By switching from coal to cleaner energy sources, initiating energy efficiency programs, and restructuring its economy, China has reduced its carbon dioxide emissions 17 percent since 1997"

2sf45a.jpg

Ladies and Gentlemen... The Republican Wish List.

Aww... BoyScout returns. What happened to the end of the Republicans, dude?

Um... Gruder v. Bollinger? That's the only one that really matters, bud, considering it basically kills off your idea.

*Shrugs*

I love how you bring up all these statistics and reasons and ALL of them are basically invalidated by SCOTUS cases. Jesus, you just don't seem to get it, do you?

And lastly, Kahran Ramus pretty much killed any debate last time on the Kyoto Treaty. I think it was the fact that CO2 is a fairly shitty Greenhouse gas and that the entire treaty's main concern is that kinda weakens it. It's 'feel-good' legislation, I believe it was called.

What's my idea?

Please explain Gruder v. Bollinger to me.

I've basically just been throwing things out here. Like I said, I'm not even completely sold on AA, either.

And I'm flattered that you called me Jesus.