TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Olympic Slam

The Republican Wish List

What's my idea?

Please explain Gruder v. Bollinger to me.

I've basically just been throwing things out here.  Like I said, I'm not even completely sold on AA, either.

And I'm flattered that you called me Jesus.

Your justification of AA. Seriously, I thought you could at least understand that much. Bakke basically said that the entire "Priviledge" thing and social justice aspect of AA is not a proper justification for it. It's dead as an argument, so if you can't come up with a better argument, then you are basically up a creek without a paddle.

Grutter v. Bollinger (Or was it Grotz?) that basically struck down U of M's policy of AA on admissions based on the 'diversity' justification. It's basically the end of all you are talking about. Why the hell don't you know this shit?

And I can't undertand why you defend it so much when you aren't sold on it.

Guest Fire and Knives
2sf45a.jpg

Ladies and Gentlemen... The Republican Wish List.

Congratulations. People like you are the reason nobody ever wants to listen to me.

K.

Guest Olympic Slam
And lastly, Kahran Ramus pretty much killed any debate last time on the Kyoto Treaty. I think it was the fact that CO2 is a fairly shitty Greenhouse gas and that the entire treaty's main concern is that kinda weakens it. It's 'feel-good' legislation, I believe it was called.

It's 'feel-good' legislation, I believe it was called.

That sums up liberalism pretty nicely

Guest Public Account

The Republican Wish List?

A ban on homosexuality

No sex before 30

All them nasty colored folks sent back to Africa

Less free will

Replacing the Stars and Stripes with a swastika

Guest TJH
If I move to America, would I be entitled to special priveleges as a minority (Australian and 25% Jewish)?

Aussies aren't a race, and Jews are just another group of white people as far as most Americans are concerned.

Okay, so what if a Kenyan emigrates to America, or is a second generation African immigrant. Is he, as an African-American, entitled to special privelige despite the fact that none of his ancestors suffered repression, and the fact that he hasn't in his lifetime, as that is the seeming justication for the policy?

In the event that he is, are white South Africans and Zimbabweans allowed to benefit from affirmative action, as they are also African-Americans?

Guest MikeSC

A ban on homosexuality

No sex before 30

Less free will

Actually, we'd settle for deporting all of the blithering morons to Europe, so we can laugh at them from afar.

-=Mike

Why the hell don't you know this shit?

And I can't undertand why you defend it so much when you aren't sold on it.

I don't know this "shit" becuase I just never read much about the court cases--I've never been that interested in AA. If someone had been vociferously defending AA I probably would have attacked it--it's just a way for me to learn more about things. And it is working because I am learning more.

And one schmuck on a message board (me) putting forth an errant justification for AA does not make the whole system wrong.

The Michigan cases struck down my previous justification (AA as elimination of unfair benefits) but still ruled that that race can be one of many factors considered by colleges when selecting their students because it furthers "a compelling interest in obtaining the educational benefits that flow from a diverse student body". According to the SC, it promoted a "compelling state interest" in diversity at all levels of society--I guess that's the SC's justification of AA.

"A record number of "friend-of-court" briefs were filed in support of Michigan's affirmative action case by hundreds of organizations representing academia, business, labor unions, and the military, arguing the benefits of broad racial representation. As Sandra Day O’Connor wrote for the majority, "In order to cultivate a set of leaders with legitimacy in the eyes of the citizenry, it is necessary that the path to leadership be visibly open to talented and qualified individuals of every race and ethnicity."

Source: http://www.infoplease.com/spot/affirmative1.html

I would be open for convincing as to why AA is no longer needed. You stated that it was once necessary but is no longer, I think.

I wish for the Republicans to somehow force the Democrats to make some goddamn sense. Level-headed negotiation or crazy Jesus conservative warmonging fascist racist homophobic capitalist orgies would be both be acceptable, provided they force the left to actually be the left instead of the not right.

Also, Marney needs to get my new AIM.

And while we're on the subject of affirmative action: it sucks. Affirmative action is fundamentally racist in the assumption that white people are required to help black people. Black people don't need help. They need to be treated as 'people' as opposed to 'black people'. The correct solution to undoing America's racist history is trying to correct attitudes and behaviors in predominantly white suburbs where latent rascist ideas like affirmative action tend to gestate. Let's stop making ourselves feel better about slavery and actually start repairing the damage it's done, huh?

K.

How?

Guest Fire and Knives
...correct attitudes and behaviors in predominantly white suburbs where latent rascist ideas like affirmative action tend to gestate.

K.

Guest Fire and Knives
They need to be treated as 'people' as opposed to 'black people'.

Is this really so foreign a concept?

K.

I totally agree with this.

They need to be treated as 'people' as opposed to 'black people'.

But I don't think black people are clamoring for an end to AA. I certainly can't speak for them, though.

A ban on homosexuality

No sex before 30

Less free will

Actually, we'd settle for deporting all of the blithering morons to Europe, so we can laugh at them from afar.

-=Mike

The fact that there are so many people like him, Mike, makes me question Darwin's whole theory about how natural selection is meant to weed out the weak

A ban on homosexuality

No sex before 30

Less free will

-=Mike

The fact that there are so many people like him, Mike, makes me question Darwin's whole theory about how natural selection is meant to weed out the weak

Actually, that's not what natural selection is all about. Biological "fitness" is not the same thing as "strength."

From what I understand, a lot of racists and other great folks lobbied Darwin to use the term "survival of the fittest" so that they could apply it in a social context--to further their racist goals.

A ban on homosexuality

No sex before 30

Less free will

-=Mike

I'm not sure if you guys noticed, but "Public Account" seems to be pretty much a trolling gimmick poster, so he may have just said that to get a response out of you.

Ramsus wasn't right last time, and he's not right now.

CO2 IS a greenhoue gas. If we continue to turn rocks into gases, at this rate, World temperature averages will rise.

How it will fit in the geocyclic temperature cycle remains to be seen. At least where i am, we are in a "colder" cycle at the moment, with colder winters than in previous years.

But once done, can't be undone. Global warming won't be an issue, but decades from now. Republicans always think small, like this years earnings, and Democrats might be bothered to ponder where all that carbon dioxide is going.

And lastly, Kahran Ramus pretty much killed any debate last time on the Kyoto Treaty. I think it was the fact that CO2 is a fairly shitty Greenhouse gas and that the entire treaty's main concern is that kinda weakens it. It's 'feel-good' legislation, I believe it was called.

I was just responding to an assertion that most industrialized countries haven't ratified the treaty.

The US, Australia, and Switzerland are the only ones on the list of non-ratifiers that I saw. Unless you count Indonesia--semi-industrialized I guess.

I was just responding to an assertion that most industrialized countries haven't ratified the treaty.

The US, Australia, and Switzerland are the only ones on the list of non-ratifiers that I saw. Unless you count Indonesia--semi-industrialized I guess.

I thought Russia didn't either. I'm not sure, but I remember them at least turning it down right after Bush did.

Guest MikeSC

A ban on homosexuality

No sex before 30

Less free will

-=Mike

Seeing as most of the men haven't had their testicles descend yet, I think it's natural selection in full effect.

Ramsus wasn't right last time, and he's not right now.

CO2 IS a greenhoue gas. If we continue to turn rocks into gases, at this rate, World temperature averages will rise.

How it will fit in the geocyclic temperature cycle remains to be seen. At least where i am, we are in a "colder" cycle at the moment, with colder winters than in previous years.

But once done, can't be undone. Global warming won't be an issue, but decades from now. Republicans always think small, like this years earnings, and Democrats might be bothered to ponder where all that carbon dioxide is going.

Personally, I think spending untold billions on a theory with precious little actual evidence behind it is silly.

I thought Russia didn't either. I'm not sure, but I remember them at least turning it down right after Bush did.

They ratified it to get in good with the EU. Pretty pathetic, if you ask me. Sacrificing one's sovreignty for one's neighbors is the worst idea one can make.

-=Mike

Personally, I think spending untold billions on a theory with precious little actual evidence behind it is silly.

"Scientists know for certain that human activities are changing the composition of Earth's atmosphere. Increasing levels of greenhouse gases, like carbon dioxide (CO2 ), in the atmosphere since pre-industrial times have been well documented. There is no doubt this atmospheric buildup of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases is largely the result of human activities.

It's well accepted by scientists that greenhouse gases trap heat in the Earth's atmosphere and tend to warm the planet. By increasing the levels of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, human activities are strengthening Earth's natural greenhouse effect. The key greenhouse gases emitted by human activities remain in the atmosphere for periods ranging from decades to centuries.

...the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) stated there was a "discernible" human influence on climate; and that the observed warming trend is "unlikely to be entirely natural in origin." In the most recent Third Assessment Report (2001), IPCC wrote "There is new and stronger evidence that most of the warming observed over the last 50 years is attributable to human activities."

The IPCC states that even the low end of this warming projection "would probably be greater than any seen in the last 10,000 years, but the actual annual to decadal changes would include considerable natural variability."

Source: United States EPA

Guest Steel_Fury

My conservative wish list.

1) Replace income tax with a retail level consumption tax.

2) Serious tort reform.

3) A process to remove pork from bills.

4) Liberals getting a clue.