TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vanhalen

Iraq declares State Of Emergency

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3990141.stm

Iraq's government has declared a 60-day state of emergency in response to the escalation of violence by militants.

Official spokesman Thaer Naqib said the emergency would cover the whole of Iraq except Kurdish-run areas in the north.

He said the move came in response to mass killings and destruction of the country's infrastructure carried out by "criminals and terrorists".

He said the violence was part of a plot to derail the interim Iraq government's progress towards January's elections.

In the latest violence, Iraqi insurgents stormed a police station in the western province of al-Anbar, disarmed 21 officers and shot them dead.

Fighting at the Haditha police station, 200km (120 miles) west of Baghdad, lasted about 90 minutes, sources say, as the building was attacked with rocket-propelled grenades and mortars.

In other violence on Sunday:

Another six policemen were shot dead in a similar attack in the neighbouring town of Haqlaniya

Two British soldiers from the Black Watch battle group stationed at Camp Dogwood, 20 miles (32km) from Baghdad, were seriously injured in a suicide attack

Three Iraqi officials from Diyala province were killed on their way to the funeral of a colleague

One US soldier was killed and four others wounded in a car bomb attack in western Baghdad, the US military said

Another car bomb went off in Baghdad outside the house of Finance Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi. The minister was not at home at the time, but one of his guards was killed.

On Saturday, more than 30 people were killed in another rebel stronghold, Samarra, which US forces only recently declared they had regained control of.

Curfew

It is not clear at this stage what the state of emergency will mean in practice.

Interim Prime Minister Iyad Allawi is due to give full details on Monday.

STATE OF EMERGENCY

Prime Minister has power to:

Impose a curfew for a short, defined period in areas facing serious security threats

Restrict the freedom of movement, assembly and use of weapons by Iraqis or foreigners suspected of crimes

Cordon off and search an area if its inhabitants are suspected of possessing weapons

Freeze the assets of those accused of insurgency

Under the National Safety Law passed in July 

However, the BBC's Alastair Leithead in Baghdad says it could include a curfew and extra powers for the police and military.

The insurgents' offensive is seen as a response to a planned assault by US troops on their stronghold of Falluja.

American and Iraqi forces are continuing preparations for the attack, amid reports that more than 100 insurgents have volunteered to drive suicide car bombs into the advancing troops.

There has been artillery fire on positions inside the city, with American aircraft heard almost continuously overhead.

As well as the risk of suicide attacks, US commanders said they expected resistance to an offensive to include car bombs and even crude chemical weapons.

Mr Allawi still hopes to avoid a US-led attack on Falluja, but feels he cannot wait much longer, his spokesman said on Sunday.

"He still hopes that it may be possible to avoid a major military confrontation in Falluja and is now - together with his ministerial colleagues - engaged in a last-ditch effort to see if a peaceful solution can be found," Thaer Naqib was quoted as saying by Reuters news agency.

The BBC's Paul Wood, embedded with the US Marines, says they believe that Falluja will be their biggest engagement since Hue, the Vietnamese city they captured in 1968, losing 142 men and killing thousands of the enemy.

It is reported from inside Falluja that insurgents, tribal chiefs and Sunni Muslim clerics have invited the media to enter the city under their protection to witness any assault, which they described as a crusade against Islam.

Right now, the Saddam regime probably seems preferable because of the stability. In the long run, though, a non-authoritarian government would certainly be preferable to almost everyone in Iraq except for the elite few who benefited from Saddam's regime. Hopefully, this is what will take shape in Iraq. It may be a while, though.

Yeah, okay, whatever. From CNN.com, the "state of emergency is to prepare for massive BUTT-kicking in fallujah, which that article doesn's state

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/11/07/...main/index.html

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Iraqi interim Prime Minister Ayad Allawi declared a 60-day state of emergency Sunday, as preparations were under way for an all-out offensive on the insurgent stronghold of Falluja.

So its not as bad as it sounds peoples

Guest Anglesault
Yup. I wonder how many Iraqi's wish that Saddam was still around?

I would assume not too many.

Sure, all of them. Cause he was giving out chocolates and teddy bears. And those people in the mass graves were the ones violently allergic to chocolate. Sadaam felt horrible about it for months, he would just cry and cry and cry about it.

If only those big mean Americans hadn't come when he was grieving the death of that one puppy he gave to the little orphan boy down the street.

Most Iraqi people's lives are probably less stable right now than they were under Saddam's regime. That doesn't mean that his regime was good. Hopefully democracy will emerge and people's lives will end up being better than they were under Saddam.

Yeah, okay, whatever, the "state of emergency is to prepare for massive BUTT-kicking in fallujah, which that article doesn's state

Im going to remember that quote to see how it all pans out

Guest BDC

No one that has any respect for life., you fucking asshole.

Guest MikeSC

That is your mistake.

You assume he gives a damn about the lives of people of a darker skin tone than he.

-=Mike

Guest Salacious Crumb

That is your mistake.

You assume he gives a damn about the lives of people of a darker skin tone than he.

-=Mike

I think he's proven he doesn't give a damn about the lives of anyone but his own by some of his other posts on this board.

Guest BDC

Forgive me for being a bit hardbitten, but my girlfriend's brother is there NOW. I have nothing but contempt for people the field idiotic opinions such as this.

Guest Salacious Crumb

I agree, I've had about 6 friends that have been or are there currently. I seriously consider punching people like INXS in the face when they spout this garbage.

Guest INXS

Woah, check your manners pal.

You seem to have a distorted view of Saddam's Iraq.

Guest INXS

That is your mistake.

-=Mike

So, you're branding me a racist or something? If I didn't CARE about the people of Iraq I wouldn't be so concerned about the civilian deaths over there. You're ignorance is astounding.

Guest INXS
I agree, I've had about 6 friends that have been or are there currently. I seriously consider punching people like INXS in the face when they spout this garbage.

Whether you or anyone else has friends/relatives over there it doesn't really come in to this; I fully support American and British troops, it's not their fault that they have been sent to fight a war for oil. Of course we aren't deliberately killing civilians and wrecking Iraqi's infastructure but it IS happenning. Now, saying that, I think my question was valid; I am willing to bet that a fair number of Iraqi's prefered life under Saddam (unless they were Iraqi Kurds).

I believe there was a poll from ABC that sais 70% of Iraqis felt they were in better shape now then before Saddam.

I expect that one to go over your head.

And if we were fighting for a while- wouldn't gas prices not be so high?

Guest INXS

I'll accept that poll Bob. I wasn't saying that any specific amount of Iraqi's prefer life under Saddam, I was merely asking the question, with the country going to hell in a handbasket.

True Cheesala, Saddam's Iraq did have rape rooms. Infact they are still there, under the name Abu Gharib, with a bit of murder and torture thrown in for good measure courtesy of the US Military ;p

Well the point is to make any wondering about whether or not anyone misses Saddam as moot. For certain Iraqis, its just Monday today. No different from any other. But hey they must be guilty of something. Right?

I believe there was a poll from ABC that sais 70% of Iraqis felt they were in better shape now then before Saddam.

How could they have possibly gotten a random sample for that poll? Did they go into Fallujah and Sadr City?

Guest BDC

Woah, check your manners pal.

You seem to have a distorted view of Saddam's Iraq.

I have a distorted view? I have a distorted view?

You uptight, self-righteous PRICK. How DARE you belittle anything our services are doing. I don't give a damn what Michael Moore told you, let's get a few things straight:

Overall, in Iraq, things are BETTER now. People learn just enough english to thank American soldiers for coming. Fallujah? There aren't civilians left, they've run the hell out of there, so basically what's left there is pure evil.

I swear, people like you make me so damn sick.

How could they have possibly gotten a random sample for that poll? Did they go into Fallujah and Sadr City?

I don't remember- I don't think they polled the prisoners in Abu Gahrib either

Guest MikeSC
So, you're branding me a racist or something?

I wasn't exactly being subtle about it.

If I didn't CARE about the people of Iraq I wouldn't be so concerned about the civilian deaths over there. You're ignorance is astounding.

No, you want them to live under a tyrant who killed untold hundreds of thousands randomly.

True Cheesala, Saddam's Iraq did have rape rooms. Infact they are still there, under the name Abu Gharib, with a bit of murder and torture thrown in for good measure courtesy of the US Military ;p

We all KNOW you're an idiot. Your attempts to further prove it, while admirable, are not needed.

-=Mike

Guest SP-1
I agree, I've had about 6 friends that have been or are there currently.  I seriously consider punching people like INXS in the face when they spout this garbage.

Whether you or anyone else has friends/relatives over there it doesn't really come in to this; I fully support American and British troops, it's not their fault that they have been sent to fight a war for oil. Of course we aren't deliberately killing civilians and wrecking Iraqi's infastructure but it IS happenning. Now, saying that, I think my question was valid; I am willing to bet that a fair number of Iraqi's prefered life under Saddam (unless they were Iraqi Kurds).

Cuz . . . MAN, those gas prices have come DOWN since the War ended.

Guest MikeSC
I agree, I've had about 6 friends that have been or are there currently.  I seriously consider punching people like INXS in the face when they spout this garbage.

Cuz . . . MAN, those gas prices have come DOWN since the War ended.

It's INXS. Reality isn't going to slow him down.

-=Mike