TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vitamin X

Dave Wannstedt resigns as Dolphins coach

Guest Vitamin X

Dolphins fans, rejoice.

I just saw breaking news from the local ABC affiliate here in Miami during Monday Night Football that Dave Wannstedt will be resigning as Dolphins head coach. I'll post a story when I see it.

Good riddance, I say. So who's a good replacement?

Well you knew this was coming but I can't help but feel sorry for the guy. Wannstedt is no great shakes, but how do you possibly overcome the whole Ricky Williams fiasco, the injury to David Boston, and a nonsensical signing of AJ Feeley?

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

The Dolphins problems are hardly Wannstedt's fault. But they had to make the move. it was essential.

Guest Vitamin X

Maybe they'll trade for Philip Rivers or Eli Manning.

Hell, someone needs em. They can pick between the Raiders and Dolphins, the Giants are playing great with Warner and Drew Brees again proved the Chargers organization morons for trying to startup another QB carousel. Imagine how scary that team could have been with Roy Williams or Larry Fitzgerald. Brees, Williams, and Tomlinson.

Guest Vitamin X

No, no, no. Brees is, I believe, 28 or so, and wouldn't be a good replacement for Favre, especially if he wants to play another couple years. I'm a firm believer in Craig Nall, and the Packers obviously are seeing something in JT O'Sullivan I definitely am not, but they've got a good fight between those two.

1) Brees is 25.

2) Nall hasn't shown me anything, he couldn't even get the #2 job from Petersen aside from injury.

3) The Packers will never be bad enough to get a high enough draft pick to get a great QB, at least as long as Favre's there, and once he's gone its too late.

Dolphins should sign Ricky Williams as their new head coach.

Practices would become pot-smoking parties. And if you didn't show up to the game on Sunday, that's okay. Everyone knew the team was going to lose anyways.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

Kurt Warner has looked quite average to mediocre lately. This was expected. Trading Eli would be a mistake. And I never thought Philip Rivers was that great, so maybe I'd keep drew brees over him.

Oh yeah, on Wannstadt...the Dolphins haven't had the offensive talent to compete since Marino retired. People just happen to be noticing it this year because they are so pathetic that they can't hide behind their defense for 9 wins or so.

Kurt Warner has looked quite average to mediocre lately. This was expected. Trading Eli would be a mistake. And I never thought Philip Rivers was that great, so maybe I'd keep drew brees over him.

I never thought that they should have drafted him over Roethlisberger.

Guest The Shadow Behind You

The Dolphins really need to grab a great RB off the Market...CoughEdgerinJamescough and get some good not too pricey QB with veteran skills and knows how to run a offense.

Jon Kitna is a FA after this season, Kitna proved last season with a good running game and good receivers, he can carry a team and he has remarkable leadership skills.

Maybe they'll trade for Philip Rivers or Eli Manning.

Hell, someone needs em. They can pick between the Raiders and Dolphins, the Giants are playing great with Warner and Drew Brees again proved the Chargers organization morons for trying to startup another QB carousel. Imagine how scary that team could have been with Roy Williams or Larry Fitzgerald. Brees, Williams, and Tomlinson.

Dude, you are INSANE if you think the Giants would trade Eli Manning. Kurt Warner is as short-term as short-term gets :bonk:

Chargers, in retrospect, made a mistake of sorts drafting Philip Rivers, but Brees had been very mediocre, and who knew it would light a fire under his ass? The guy is getting MVP TALK right now! I think that's mad premature, but you can't deny that he's harnassed his talent and become the player the Chargers hoped he would be when they drafted him. Rivers over Roethelsberger is a whole other issue and you'd think with the kind of scouting and personality testing that goes on in the NFL people could have pegged Ben as a winner, but to be fair, we don't know what Rivers can do yet. Based on San Diego's track record it wouldn't surpise me if he's the next Ryan Leaf, but you don't know til he gets the job.

I think San Diego would be smart to chalk up Rivers as a mistake before they have to pay for it, stick with Brees, they won't get equal pick value for Rivers but they should get a nice first rounder and some middle rounds picks for him.

Brees is having a career year this year, which is exactly why they should let him go and watch him tank on another team's roster.

As for Wannstedt, it's good to see him go, even though WAY too much of the blame for Miami's mediocrity gets directed at him. You do realize that this team has had Jay Fiedler at QB for five years now? On top of that, this is the first time in years that a Dolphins QB has had a decent target not named Chris Chambers.

Sure, Wannstedt's an idiot who works better as an assistant, but it's not like he was pissing away a Super Bowl dynasty or anything.

Guest Ether

With Walt Harris almost certain to be fired from Pitt at the end of the season, Wannstedt's name has been high up on the list on candidates for that job for quite some time.

Guest MikeSC
Dude, you are INSANE if you think the Giants would trade Eli Manning. Kurt Warner is as short-term as short-term gets :bonk:

Chargers, in retrospect, made a mistake of sorts drafting Philip Rivers, but Brees had been very mediocre, and who knew it would light a fire under his ass? The guy is getting MVP TALK right now! I think that's mad premature, but you can't deny that he's harnassed his talent and become the player the Chargers hoped he would be when they drafted him. Rivers over Roethelsberger is a whole other issue and you'd think with the kind of scouting and personality testing that goes on in the NFL people could have pegged Ben as a winner, but to be fair, we don't know what Rivers can do yet. Based on San Diego's track record it wouldn't surpise me if he's the next Ryan Leaf, but you don't know til he gets the job.

I think San Diego would be smart to chalk up Rivers as a mistake before they have to pay for it, stick with Brees, they won't get equal pick value for Rivers but they should get a nice first rounder and some middle rounds picks for him.

Actually, coming out of college, Brees was BETTER than when Rivers came out. Philip didn't exactly light it up at NCSU last year. Drafting him was idiotic as Brees had the talent if they would have spent some time developing it.

If anybody gives them higher than a 2d round pick, they should kiss their feet.

-=Mike

Guest MD2020
Dude, you are INSANE if you think the Giants would trade Eli Manning.  Kurt Warner is as short-term as short-term gets  :bonk:

Chargers, in retrospect, made a mistake of sorts drafting Philip Rivers, but Brees had been very mediocre, and who knew it would light a fire under his ass?  The guy is getting MVP TALK right now!  I think that's mad premature, but you can't deny that he's harnassed his talent and become the player the Chargers hoped he would be when they drafted him.  Rivers over Roethelsberger is a whole other issue and you'd think with the kind of scouting and personality testing that goes on in the NFL people could have pegged Ben as a winner, but to be fair, we don't know what Rivers can do yet.  Based on San Diego's track record it wouldn't surpise me if he's the next Ryan Leaf, but you don't know til he gets the job.

Actually, coming out of college, Brees was BETTER than when Rivers came out. Philip didn't exactly light it up at NCSU last year. Drafting him was idiotic as Brees had the talent if they would have spent some time developing it.

If anybody gives them higher than a 2d round pick, they should kiss their feet.

-=Mike

True, but the Dolphins just gave up a 2nd rounder for AJ Feeley. The Eagles got him in the fifth round.

Don't discount stupid trades in the NFL.

http://www.miamidolphins.com/pressbox/pres...?contentID=3569

"I decided to step aside to place the focus where it belongs – on the football team," Wannstedt said. "I believe this move is in the best interests of the team and gives the players the best opportunity to play as well as possible the remainder of the season. It was clear that all the conversation about my future was becoming a distraction to the team and interfering with their ability to prepare properly, and this decision should allow them to concentrate on what happens on the football field."

Best news I've heard all day.

The Dolphins really need to grab a great RB off the Market...CoughEdgerinJamescough and get some good not too pricey QB with veteran skills and knows how to run a offense.

Jon Kitna is a FA after this season, Kitna proved last season with a good running game and good receivers, he can carry a team and he has remarkable leadership skills.

What QB's are coming out in the draft this year? I'd take a look at the Leinart (sp?) kid from USC, as well as look at bringing in a vet like Kitna.

Guest Vitamin X
1) Brees is 25.

2) Nall hasn't shown me anything, he couldn't even get the #2 job from Petersen aside from injury.

3) The Packers will never be bad enough to get a high enough draft pick to get a great QB, at least as long as Favre's there, and once he's gone its too late.

Pederson only got the #2 job because he's a vet and a good buddy of Favre's, and thus he knows the system pretty well. Nall is largely unproven but from what I've seen of him, he's the most Favre-like player available to the Packers. He's mobile, smart, gutsy, and has a hell of an arm. Most people weren't watching by the time he came in the Titans game, but Nall led something like an 80-yard touchdown drive with only one incompletion and made a nice throw in the red zone for the TD towards the end of the game. Brees is smart and plays like it, but he's not as gifted athletically and he hasn't been in Green Bay's system as long as Nall has- besides I'd like to see Drew make a name for himself on the team he was drafted on. Same with Nall.