TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Precious Roy

Kobe on PTI

wow.......didn't see that coming

I kind of feel bad for the guy, I don't like him, but I feel empathy. He looked so uncomfortable, was so evasive, so depressed, but you could tell he wanted people to read between the lines of his rhetoric, like he just wanted to open up and admit what a cunt he's been, repent for his sins, but because of his status he can't, and as much of a dick as he's been that's gotta be a really tough thing to reconcile.

What I gathered from it is he knows he overreacted about the Malone/Vanessa shit, knows he looks like the bad guy in the situation, knows he was a dick to Shaq and Phil, knows he's incredibly selfish, but he's almost in denial about all of it, trying to convince himself that the results and perception aren't equal to his own processes. He wouldn't admit to running them out of town of course, but what he doesn't say tells the whole story, the way he frames his words. It's the classic political trick of admission of guilt through delivery and body language, pauses, sighs, while stating nothing verbally that can be pinned on him.

The one thing he did admit to, not saying it explicitly of course, was that he wanted to take on the challenge of winning in LA without Shaq, which of course was selfish, but it's like he's trying to convince himself that he was justified, that he has a god given right to be in his position, no matter who he hurts on the way, even though he knows what he did was unfair to them.

Still a cunt, but a complex cunt, and I feel bad for the fact that he's such a cunt and there seems like there's nothing he can do about, even when he knows he's a cunt.

ton of credit to Tony and Mike though, they asked him the tough questions and they pressed him as much as they could. That had to be a tough interview to conduct.

Guest pinnacleofallthingsmanly

It looked to me like he was feeling sorry for himself and wanting to be looked at as a victim. I would give him more respect if he just came out and owned up for stuff.

Bullshit that he said:

He's unfairly blamed for Shaq and Phil Jackson leaving. He was entertaining the idea of a sign and trade with the Bulls and he really wanted to be a Clipper. Yet he always wanted to be a Laker. He needs to make up his mind and stop the double talk. I would have asked him why did he want to leave the Lakers?

He just wants to win championships and he doesn't need to be the man in LA, he just wants to take on different challenges. NO, he wants to lead the team in scoring and assists while his team wins.

Kobe it's not everybody else, it's you.

Stephn A Smith just interviewed him too. I wasnt paying attention to what was said though. The only thing I did pick up was Smith asking him if he wouldve rather stayed with Shaq and won many more titles or go on his own and win 1 or possibly none to which he said stay with shaq. Kobe said it wasnt his decision whether to play with Oneal though

Guest bigm350
Stephn A Smith just interviewed him too. I wasnt paying attention to what was said though. The only thing I did pick up was Smith asking him if he wouldve rather stayed with Shaq and won many more titles or go on his own and win 1 or possibly none to which he said stay with shaq. Kobe said it wasnt his decision whether to play with Oneal though

That's what Kobe says, but you know damn well both Shaq and Jackson couldn't stand to be around the guy.

Well, Kobe works harder on his game than any other player, and Shaq's a lazy fat-ass. It was obvious for a long time that their partnership wouldn't last. Phil aligned himself with Shaq quite a while ago.

If you followed the Lakers closely, you would know that Shaq wouldn't put up with public criticism of any kind. Jackson hardly ever got on O'Neal's case during games, timeouts, etc. When he did, that kind of public display humiliated Shaq and he literally wouldn't put effort into his play. Kobe would certainly make defensive remarks in response to criticisms by Phil of his play, but he hardly ever let them negatively affect his play.

I believe Kobe felt singled-out by Jackson but, for the most part, held his tongue. Why? The Lakers were winning. After 3 rings, they got swept by the Spurs. Sometimes I wonder if the rape allegations are what stopped the shit from hitting the fan that summer. But the team lasted into this past season. For as good as Shaq & Kobe were, to finish 4th in the conference was mediocre at best. The Lakers then got bitched by Detroit.

The "offensive-road-through-Shaq" was failing fast, but Jackson 1) wasn't about to cross O'Neal and 2) didn't want to stay with the team anyway (which he admitted in public). Shaq would only play for Jackson, probably because that would guarantee him being the focus of the offense. Kobe had legit gripes with the system no longer working. And the clincher... Jerry Buss (who hates slow, half-court offenses, but hates losing more) had legit gripes too.

The writing was all over the wall. Buss knew 100% that Jackson's leaving would make Shaq want out. He couldn't afford to lose all 3 with the Clippers courting Kobe. Phil & Shaq couldn't stand Kobe because he was correctly picked by the boss as the key to the franchise.

They didn't finish 4th in the conference. They won the conference. Everyone knows that getting the best seed in the regular season doesn't mean a damn thing to teams that have been there before. They beat both the Spurs and T-Wolves in the playoffs, and still had a better year than every team except for the Pistons.

As for the interview, I thought it was really, really good. They managed to ask all the tough questions without turning Kobe against them, and got a lot more answers than somebody might think they would. I actually believe Kobe that he didn't run off Phil, because he actually went to Jerry West and said that if Kobe was returning, he wasn't.

I kind of do feel for Kobe, because those bullshit rape allegations kind of sent him into a downward spiral that he hasn't really recovered from yet. However, he certainly was in the wrong in the way he dealt with both Shaq and Karl Malone. I can see why he's not very trusting right now, but in this situation, the worst thing he could do was overreact to Karl Malone doing a little bit of harmless flirting with his wife.

Guest Vitamin X

Holy fuck, yet another Kobe thread. He's like the HHH of the Sports folder.

Anyways, everything I was going to say, Spicy already did for me, and spot on as well. Although one thing I'll have to disagree with is that Shaq is a lazy fatass. He is, only when he's not motivated. Look at him with the Heat this year. He's playing team ball, he's in shape, and although he's still slow and plodding up the court (which is hilarious when watching the Heat on TV, since all the other guys on the team run quick to the other side and Shaq gets there like 5 minutes later) he's contributing in a way that no other Eastern Conference team has been able to compete with. Whether that's a byproduct of him playing in the smaller East, or because of him motivated to show what he can do with Kobe and Jackson, that's another debate... Although he doesn't seem to be doing too well against the West. Hopefully that continues on Dec. 25th.

Guest Vitamin X

Oh, and-

They didn't finish 4th in the conference. They won the conference.

*BUZZ* Wrong. Minnesota had the best record in the conference, and both San Antonio and Sacramento had better records than the Lakers, who did indeed finish fourth. Well, I'm not sure if it was Sac-town that had the better record or if it was another team, but I believe those were it.

Wow, Kobe almost went to the bulls? Geez, just imagine all the ridiculous Jordan comparisons that almost could have been. I probably would have considered not watching the NBA.

Guest Vitamin X
The Los Angeles Lakers are the 2004 Western Conference Champions, not the T-Wolves.

I meant to say they had the best record.

Guest Mindless_Aggression

Kobe saying he didn't know how to get in touch with Shaq and Jon Sanders replying with a smirk and a laughing shrug is a shining moment of it all for me.

Guest The Shadow Behind You

Didn't Stephen A. Smith reply to that comment to Kobe

"I have his number. You want it? I'll give it to you at the break"

Guest Vitamin X

It's too bad Kobe's trying to save face, really. There's no use in doing so, he's pretty much universally loathed by every person who's not a Laker fan.

Not like the media's helping any, though.

Guest Vitamin X

I was actually saying the complete opposite, but whatever floats your boat. Unless you were being sarcastic, that is, which is probably the case.

Oh, and-

*BUZZ* Wrong. Minnesota had the best record in the conference, and both San Antonio and Sacramento had better records than the Lakers, who did indeed finish fourth. Well, I'm not sure if it was Sac-town that had the better record or if it was another team, but I believe those were it.

They didn't finish 4th in the conference. They won the conference. Everyone knows that getting the best seed in the regular season doesn't mean a damn thing to teams that have been there before. They beat both the Spurs and T-Wolves in the playoffs, and still had a better year than every team except for the Pistons.

I know it's hard, but try actually reading more than two sentences next time. Not only did I acknowledge their seed, I also went on to explain that it was completely insignificant.

Correct. The media does not help people loathe Kobe. It's not needed.

No. The media's first concern is if a player talks to them. Shaq does, Kobe for the most part doesn't. Don't think they some moral high-ground and don't like Kobe because he committed adultry.

Guest Vitamin X
Oh, and-

I know it's hard, but try actually reading more than two sentences next time. Not only did I acknowledge their seed, I also went on to explain that it was completely insignificant.

Hey smartass, no you didn't acknowledge their seed, because you still stated they won the conference, which had nothing to do with where they finished in terms of seeding for the playoffs. And you can't really say they had a better year than everyone except the Pistons, because although the Lakers made it to the Finals, I'd still say Minnesota and Indiana both had better seasons (they were the ones who finished 1st in their respective conferences) but lost out in the playoffs. Hell, you could say San Antonio and maybe even Sacramento did as well, considering not only did both of those teams finish with a better record (again, correct me if I'm wrong about Sacramento but I know I'm right about SA) but San Antonio had them almost on the verge of elimination and had been dominating the series until a couple close games in LA and then the infamous 0.4 shot in Game 5. Had that shot not gone in, we might have seen a completely different Finals from the West, and maybe a different champion as well.

Although one thing I'll have to disagree with is that Shaq is a lazy fatass. He is, only when he's not motivated.

Oh yeah, I agree with you.

No doubt the Kobe situation lit a fire under O'Neal this season. But I think Shaq's lazy overall despite what he's currently showing us.