TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Enigma

No Way Out Main Event to Feature New Gimmick Match

A barbed wire cage match is apparently coming to World Wrestling Entertainment in 2005, according to promotional material released by PPV distributor In Demand for the 2/20/05 No Way Out PPV in Pittsburgh, PA.

The blurb reads as follows:

Conflict has a new battleground in the first ever barbed wire steel cage match. There's no place to run. There's no way out. SmackDown presents WWE’s No Way Out, Sunday, February 20th, live at 8pmET/5pmPT on Events iN DEMAND pay-per-view.

This would be the first time there is an advertised barbed wire match of any kind in WWE history, although Mick Foley and Terry Funk pitched doing a no ropes exploding barbed wire match at Wrestlemania 14, via satellite from Funk's Double Cross Ranch in Amarillo, Texas. The idea was later tossed out when WWF hired Mike Tyson to appear in the main event of the PPV. Foley would eventually use a barbed wire bat in several matches during feuds with Triple H and Randy Orton.

What makes this most interesting is the location of the PPV in the State of Pennsylvania as the State Athletic Commission there had banned the use of barbed wire (as well as light tubes) for professional wrestling events during the latter end of 2002 during the Philadelphia independent wars, feeling things were getting too violent and were going to become a health hazard for both the wrestlers and the fans. The decision was made following a no ropes barbed wire I Quit match promoted by Combat Zone Wrestling at the ECW Arena featuring John Zandig vs. The Wifebeater in November 2002.

It will be interesting to see if WWE is forced to adhere to the same series of rules that independent wrestling promotions are all made to work under within the confines of the State of Pennsylvania.

credit: Mike Johnson/PWInsider

Note from S_D: According to Meltzer, it's scheduled to be JBL vs. Big Show in this match, and it was suggested by Paul Heyman before he got removed from the creative team.

Aw yes, the old "Use an insane gimmick to mask the fact both guys suck horribly in the ring" trick.

Otherwise known as the classic WWE main event.

Guest The Shadow Behind You

It's better then the barbed wire rope gimmick.

A barbed wire cage is less contrived. Question, will it be *ALL* Barbed wire or just Barbed Wire covering the cage?

Uncensored 99 rings a bell.

Wasn't that a Steel Cage/First Blood/Barbed Wire Top/Retirement match?

Guest BDC
It's better then the barbed wire rope gimmick.

A barbed wire cage is less contrived. Question, will it be *ALL* Barbed wire or just Barbed Wire covering the cage?

I get the idea that they're going to put it mostly around the top to keep the guys from getting out.

ummm...TBS did kinda destroy his cabient on Thursday and indicating he wanted the belt.

So it's being built now for the Rumble non finish where then Mr. Biased Long decides to keep The Corporation out of the ring by having a steel cage and just to ensure no one gets in...there will be barbed wire attached.

I knew there weren't going to waste the stipulation at the Rumble with a SD PPV the following month.

ummm...TBS did kinda destroy his cabient on Thursday and indicating he wanted the belt.

I think she meant there are no feuds worthy of having that gimmick match.

Uncensored 99 rings a bell.

Wasn't that a Steel Cage/First Blood/Barbed Wire Top/Retirement match?

Yes, but the stipulations for this match are too extreme to talk about here on the pre-show, so you'll have to order Uncencored 99 to find out all the details! Oh, and pinfalls don't count (except the winning fall apparently) and it's first blood too, except when someone bleeds it can be ignored. Oh and the participants MUST do a double turn even if the fans aren't behind it.

Boy that was a screwed up match from every angle...

I thought they covered it up by saying you could win by pinfall or submission after you made your opponent bleed? :huh:

I thought they covered it up by saying you could win by pinfall or submission after you made your opponent bleed?

Nope, the whole point of it was a first blood match. I saw that match and I was pist off when Flair started bleeding and the bell never rang.

It will be interesting to see if WWE is forced to adhere to the same series of rules that independent wrestling promotions are all made to work under within the confines of the State of Pennsylvania.

If Johnson hasn't worked out the answer to that one by now, then he needs to change jobs.

The saddest thing is that JBL has been the longest reigning champion this year, even though he's not a draw, 90% of the fans think of him as a joke and the HTM gimmick only works in the midcard where Crapshaw belongs.

Guest Duncan Eternia
What makes this most interesting is the location of the PPV in the State of Pennsylvania as the State Athletic Commission there had banned the use of barbed wire (as well as light tubes) for professional wrestling events during the latter end of 2002 during the Philadelphia independent wars, feeling things were getting too violent and were going to become a health hazard for both the wrestlers and the fans. The decision was made following a no ropes barbed wire I Quit match promoted by Combat Zone Wrestling at the ECW Arena featuring John Zandig vs. The Wifebeater in November 2002.

Note from S_D: According to Meltzer, it's scheduled to be JBL vs. Big Show in this match, and it was suggested by Paul Heyman before he got removed from the creative team.

Didn't WWE break an athletic commission rule when they did Vince vs. Steph on PPV. I think that was in Maryland and they just got a fine over it. So if they did go ahead and used the barbed wire, it wouldn't surprise me.

Didn't WWE break an athletic commission rule when they did Vince vs. Steph on PPV. I think that was in Maryland and they just got a fine over it. So if they did go ahead and used the barbed wire, it wouldn't surprise me.

They were told if they ran Vince v Steph they'd get a fine. WWE's response was, "So who do we make the check out to ?"