TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

Name the most average band you've ever heard

I think that Prince is the very definition of a totally NOT average artist. Every single thing about him is above average.

As for Interpol, I'm still not sold. I'll pick up the new album.

Anyway... another one is Jay-Z. I don't know. I get into most other rap just fine post-too-cool-for-pop-and-rap-phase, but him I cannot get myself excited about. At all. Of course, I'm judging off of two albums, but still. They were both pretty hyped up for me, and then I just found myself thinking "...bleh" throughout the whole thing. Some highlights, nothing too offensive, but still, isn't that the very definition of "average"?

I'll name one current pop act and one "classic" that'll surely get me hate:

Pop act: Vanessa Carlton. She makes even Norah Jones sound exciting because at least Norah Jones changes pitch from time to time.

Classic: The Rolling Stones. I've heard nearly all the big ones and I don't get why all the popularity exists. Only last month did I discover a song of theirs I really liked.

Classic: The Rolling Stones. I've heard nearly all the big ones and I don't get why all the popularity exists. Only last month did I discover a song of theirs I really liked.

eh...i can kinda see where it's coming from, as there's a lot of posing done by them & some of their stuff comes across as them trying to be exactly what a "great rock band" should be and ends up being bland (like "salt of the earth" being their obligatory touching epic number on 'beggars banquet', or "you can't always get what you want" on 'let it bleed').  but more often than not they hit their mark, and when they did hit it they WERE exactly what a great rock band should be ("satisfaction," "bitch," etc).

For what it's worth, I still really like "Salt of the Earth," though its placement at the end of the album is pretty uninteresting.

I like the Stones, but it's worth remembering they only had a modicum of talent between them (though they did use it quite well) and percussion overdubs and guest appearances etc have been central to their classic albums.

The Inspiral Carpets. Hey, I'll dance to 'Saturn 5' but really...

A girl tried playing the new Morrissey cd for me, and she turned it off after the first track made me laugh hysterically. Is that guy serious?

Is the first track the "Estonians call Americans fat pigs" song? I forgot the name. That song is shitty. "Irish Blood English Heart" is cool though, I can't imagine how great it would be with some good Marr jangling rather than the shitty punk rock music behind it.

It's called "America is Not the World" and it pretty much confirms every charge of pomposity and accusation of self-parody ever lobbed at Morrissey. There's only two good songs on the most recent album; neither are very essential.

"Irish Blood, English Heart" is one of the two good songs on it, incidentally.

Czech, have you checked out Your Arsenal? Easily Moz's best solo album—I like it more than I do a couple of the Smiths' proper albums, even. It's the most "rock" thing he's done; "IBEH" wouldn't have sounded out of place on it, even if it would've been that album's worst song.

Alright, I'm going to swipe away the Stones as my classic rock entry and replace it with Queen. Looking through the Stones' library I can see enough songs that stand out in my mind and "Gimme Shelter" is good enough that it gives me goosebumps at a one part.

Queen, on the other hand.. I love the catchy ditties, like We Will Rock You or Crazy Little Thing Called Love. We Are The Champions is good but is a little niche to being played only at the end of sports games. But other than those, I can't really say anything that good. I never "got" Bohemian Rhapsody, and the rest of it is... Not so good.