TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Toxxic

SWF News and Notes

SWF News and Notes from the Wrestling Panda newsletter, 12/29/04

The SWF’s 2004 has now closed out and a new World Champion is installed. Only a few months ago the words ‘new World Champion’ would have sent a groan of despair around any gathering of wrestling fans, as 2004 saw more of those than was really good for business or the image of the title. However, Toxxic’s surprisingly strong presence from Genesis V onwards means that not only does the big gold belt have a bit more respectability now, but a new champion is also something of a big deal again. What makes this even more notable is the fact that the new champion in question is Landon Maddix, who has skyrocketed in popularity since the summer when he was still very definitely a midcarder. With two young stars at the top right now it seems that the SWF may have uncovered a veritable goldmine in Maddix and Toxxic, a suspicion borne out by the excellent figures from Slay Ride which were approaching Genesis V in terms of buyrate with only half that landmark PPV’s publicity. The strong heel champion combined with a sympathetic and interesting babyface challenger in the hunt for the title apparently convinced many people that this was the PPV to buy for, a surprising trend given the normal nature of the Christmas show. The question now will be whether the SWF will push for an immediate rematch between the two to maximise their profits over a short-term or go for a longer burn on the whole issue; the forthcoming Rev-0 vs. Martial Law programme would indicate the latter, but it is difficult to see how the intense nature of Toxxic’s character could be maintained without the former.

Arguments are already starting amongst observers over the relative drawing power of Toxxic and Maddix and who was responsible for the Slay Ride buyrates; the figures would suggest that both men together were, since Maddix vs. Sacred did big numbers on free TV, as have Toxxic’s other title defences, even against such an unlikely opponent as Carnage. It seems that people want to see Maddix win but also want to see Toxxic lose no matter the opponent, a combination that could spell great things for the SWF’s bank balance.

The rumours appear to be true - Mak Francis is returning. As with all things in wrestling you should never believe it totally until you see it onscreen, but sources have confirmed that The Franchise has signed a contract and passed a medical. With the current dearth of established uppercard talent Francis could easily slot into a high midcard or main-event role, much like his rumoured opponent in his first feud, Sacred.

Mike Van Siclen, far from having left the SWF, is now apparently one of the company’s head writers. The acclaimed Cold Front Classic, a less invasive replacement of the Genesis Title Tournament, is reputed to be his brainchild and his influence backstage can be clearly seen with the decision that the first ever winner would go on to win the World Title. Fellow SWF veteran Tom Flesher is studying for his law degree, but is apparently acting as an ‘on-call’ consultant for SWF Creative.

Cyclone Comet and Bobby Riley are retiring as the SWF announce crew after well over year in their respective roles. While the comedy double-play between the duo was definitely entertaining SWF management appears to have decided that the cartoonish nature of their commentary had gone far enough. Their replacements have been confirmed as Longdogger Pete doing play-by-play with Suicide King on color, a role that should suit the Gambling Man down to the ground.

Sources close to Terrence Bailey say that now the big man no longer has to portray mental illness onscreen his own mental health is dramatically improved, although the likelihood of him making a return to such a high-pressure environment as the SWF is doubtful. Bailey certainly seems content living in his homeland of Australia, and is reputed to have started on his autobiography which is tentatively entitled ‘To Hell Machine And Back’.

Speaking of autobiographies, Tom Flesher’s self-written account of his childhood, adolescence and his amazing SWF career simply called ‘Superior’ is going on sale on 10th January. Early reviews report that while he occasionally slips into his ‘Superior One’ character (especially when discussing Danny Williams) the book as whole is extremely informative and readable.

It says 'programme', WC. As in, two stables squaring off against each other. As in, an angle of sorts. As in, something unrelated to titles.

Also as in, you're getting these tag belts over my fucking BODY, I beat you two once writing on my own, let's see what you can do now I've got a damn PARTNER.

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS-waitforit-MISSED!

You beat us in a multi-team situation; good luck trying to beat us in a straight-up tag... You also beat us on PPV, where my personal weaknesses as a writer are exposed; unless you plan on blowing off the C'Fuck, or avoiding our match until FtF, you're in trouble... :P

Nor was half the fed, Johnny. If the SWF was a real company then the 'big' news would be that they finally had a champion they'd trusted the belt to, and the major advancement of Maddix. Your comeback is of rather less note than WCs since you weren't gone for so long, but I probably should have mentioned him.

And WC - I don't see how being on PPV can really be a reason for losing. I mean, do you have a problem with holding together a match that's over 6k? It'd be kinda bizarre if you did. But no, I'm not planning on waiting til then to defend against you, it'll be whenever CC decides to book it.

And we'll still beat you, sunshine ;)

And WC - I don't see how being on PPV can really be a reason for losing. I mean, do you have a problem with holding together a match that's over 6k?

Actually, yeah, I do. My strength as a writer is being able to stuff a lot of spots into an economy of words; the more I have to write, the harder it is for me to sustain any kind of match quality. Hence the reason, as I've mentioned previously, that nearly half of my career losses have all come on PPV, and the reason why all of my legit PPV wins, except for one, have been tag team matches.

Guest The Satanic Angel
Piss off.

Don't move in on my territory there, buddy.

I thought that was the lawn ... ?