TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

Coaches/Managers

What's your overall opinion of how the media treats coaches.

Personally. I think it's hugely onsided in favor of coaches. A team stinks the coach isn't playing, but when the team is playing well. What a great coaching job so and so has done.

Than we the hypocriscy of the media in reguards to coaching chances. Anytime a coach gets fired, it's an outrage. Willingham gets fired, it's horrible. When a coach bails on a team in the middle of a contract. We get the tired can you blame him line. If they where brutally honest and said it is about the school and more importantly the money.

Please don't take this as criticisim of every coach. If I think a coach is doing a good job, or is a good coach in general I'll say it.

Than we the hypocriscy of the media in reguards to coaching chances. Anytime a coach gets fired, it's an outrage. Willingham gets fired, it's horrible.

I think that one had more to do with racial issues/double standards than coaching. Some in the media simply just want to see a black head coach succeed.

Uh-oh, hope I don't have to resign now... :ph34r:

Guest pinnacleofallthingsmanly

Willingham being fired was bullshit though. He didn't do that terrible of a job and he didn't get to fulfill his contract.

Guest Salacious Crumb
Willingham being fired was bullshit though. He didn't do that terrible of a job and he didn't get to fulfill his contract.

Let's not get into this again please.

I agree and disagree. There's a definate shitlist with the media. Just look at how much they demonize Bob Knight despite the fact that he actually graduates his players and they tend to be model citizens afterwards. But they can't take a little sarcasm in press conferences so they shit on the guy nonstop.

But there are guys that get needlessly praised like Coach K. You stick him at some mid-major and he'll do nowhere near the job he did at Duke. Joe Pa is another one as he's tanking Penn State's program but the media is just waiting for him to get fired so they can start another massive outrage campaign.

Bob Knight is a jerk.

Joe Paterno is a hard one. It's obvious that he needs to retitre, but how can you fire the man? He's a legend.

Guest Salacious Crumb

So what if he's a jerk. Players want to play under him and he actually gets them to finish college before they move on.

I think the media is pretty fair about covering coaches. They'll usually call out the guys who are doing a shitty job -- guys like Mike Martz, Bob Brenly, Tim Floyd, etc. usually get blasted in the media for doing a bad job in whatever their current position happened to be.

But he hits players and doesn't know how to act like a man his age. He didn't get in trouble at Indiana for no reason. Nobody ever said he was a bad coach, just a jerk.

More and more, I think the media's opinion of managers and coaches hinges on how many interviews they give, and how much access the coach gives to his players. The media just cares about how easy the coach makes their jobs.

Guest Failed Mascot

Where are all the Asian coaches?

Baseball seems to have the biggest group of minorities when it comes to coaching. That's the one outstanding thing about the sport today. They look at baseball people and not race.

Baseball seems to have the biggest group of minorities when it comes to coaching. That's the one outstanding thing about the sport today. They look at baseball people and not race.

But one of the downfalls is that they look at baseball people and not statistics.

Had to get a sabermetrics line in there somewhere

Guest Vitamin X

Unlike in football where organizations are being FORCED to look at black head coaches before interviewing anyone else to make things equal, which in reality makes it even worse.