TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Celtic Guardian

State senator wants boxing gloves on chickens

From AP:

OKLAHOMA CITY - A state senator has a plan for saving Oklahoma's gamefowl industry now that cockfighters are legally prohibited from pitting birds fitted with razor-like spurs.

State Sen. Frank Shurden, a longtime defender of cockfighting, is suggesting that roosters be given little boxing gloves so they can fight without bloodshed. The proposal is in a bill the Democrat has introduced for the legislative session that begins Feb. 7.

"Who's going to object to chickens fighting like humans do? Everybody wins," Sen. Frank Shurden said.

Oklahoma voters banned cockfighting in 2002. The practice is still legal in Louisiana and New Mexico.

More from AP via Yahoo here...

Guest eBayBrison

I heard this on the radio on my way to work this morning. This is truely dumb. Putting fucking boxing gloves on a little chicken so that they can beat the hell out of each other. Next thing you know, they'll have to wear a gel beak piece so that they can't peck at each other. This is truely ghey.

Brison

EDIT: I'm usually a democratic supporter, but this d00d is a total and utter ass, who gives democrates nationwide a bad name (it's not that hard, now isn't it ) :D

Guest Smues

Heard this on the Tony Kornheiser show this morning. Tony thought it was absolutely insane, and I agree. If this actually happens then the state of Oklahoma is fucked up.

Cockfighting is inhumane and wrong. Letting chickens kill each other for our entertainment is an obscenity and all the people involved with it should be castrated.

"Hello, McDonalds? I'd like a large order of McNuggets..."

Guest Agent of Oblivion

It's legal in Louisiana? Awesome. I'm going to Mardi Gras, too.

Actually, in some countries, they actually do put rubber gloves / coating on the chicken feet to prevent major chicken injuries and/or death so they can fight any day. This way the sport is kept humane to a degree.

Guest Vitamin X

Why don't we just start allowing full-on human fights to death? I know several people whose lives are as worthless as a chicken's.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Why don't we just start allowing full-on human fights to death? I know several people whose lives are as worthless as a chicken's.

If the participants are willing, and in a ring of some sort, I have no problem with this at all.