TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DCMaximo

UK Celebrity Wrestling

Stars grapple with celeb wrestling

By Stephanie Condron

19 January 2005

It is the sort of exposure that low-ranking celebrities would fight tooth and nail for.

And thanks to ITV, that is exactly what they will be doing.

The network's latest offering for Saturday night's family primetime slot is Celebrity Wrestling, a show in which women will grapple with each other to be crowned Queen of the Ring.

Former tennis star Annabel Croft, former Big Brother winner Kate Lawler and Page Three model Leilani Dowding are among those who have signed up.

Others include Liberty X singer Michelle Heaton, TV presenter Jenny Powell and model Victoria Silvstedt.

Princess Diana's former lover James Hewitt, Jeff Brazier, the ex-boyfriend of Big Brother contestant Jade Goody, showjumper Oliver Skeete, BBC children's TV presenter Mark Speight, athlete Iwan Thomas and actor Marc Bannerman, who played Gianni Di Marco in EastEnders, will battle it out to become King of the Ring.

Both men and women will be coached by professional wrestlers from the U.S. circuit. Some bouts will be fought in a steel cage and others will feature an 8ft drop from a podium.

The 12 celebrities will be split into two teams, the Crusaders and the Warriors.

Last night critics rounded on ITV's latest offering, pointing out that the BBC's surprise Saturday night hit Strictly Come Dancing - with its mix of competition and glamour - showed family audiences are starved of wholesome entertainment.

John Beyer, director of Mediawatch UK, said seeing Kate Lawler wrestle with a Page Three model was 'certainly not glamorous'.

'I guess it could be pretty undignified seeing women wrestling with each other,' he said.

'What we have is prime time on the main terrestrial channel received in every home and I think that ITV should be expending a bit more investment in producing top flight programming.

'Strictly Come Dancing was popular and I agree it was because of the glamour.

'Celebrity Wrestling could be entertaining but quite frankly I think viewers are tired of getting celebrities fooling around. Viewers on ITV deserve better.'

An ITV spokesman said: 'This is wrestling as it's never been seen before with the celebrities being taught real skills to win real bouts.

'The celebrities are not just competing for fun. There are points and pride at stake and ultimately there can be only one king and queen of the ring.'

The show, which will be shown in the spring, will be hosted by Kate Thornton, who presented The X Factor. Wrestler Rowdy Roddy Piper will co-host.

Last night the British Wrestling Association, the body which oversees the amateur sport in the UK, voiced concerns about the show.

A spokesman said it feared children could be hurt by copying the celebrity fights.

source:www.thisislondon.com

For once in my life, I am stunned at the concept for a reality TV programme. This may be the lowest moment of Piper's career, but at the same time, there's no way I'm missing this.