TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Precious Roy

2005 Fantasy Baseball Sleepers

I always do a February fantasy baseball draft for fun, and well, it's today and I haven't really prepared for it. Anyone got some hot sleeper picks for me?

And related, what are y'alls projections for Beltre?

ZiPS (same system used at Transaction Oracle at BTF) has Beltre at .292/.346/.528 with 37 homers.

Players that I would consider sleepers...David Wright, Josh Beckett, Carl Crawford (he'll still go high, but he could be undervalued if he develops some power), Kaz Matsui (was heating up in July before injuries derailed him)...those are some just off the top of my head.

Sadly, I don't think Wright qualifies as a sleeper at this point, he's rated a top 50 hitter by most everyone. Swisher I might take a look at late, as I need to field 5 starting OF. Kent is a possible 2B or MI pick for my team, depending on where I can get him. Pettite and Miller scare me, and I'll likely stay away.

League is point-style

Single 1 Point

Double 2 Points

Triple 3 Points

Home Run 4 Points

Run Batted In 1 Point

Run Scored 1 Point

Walk 1 Point

Stolen Base 2 Points

Win 10 Points

Save 10 Points

Loss -5 Points

1 Inning* 1 Point

Strike Out 1 Point

Earned Run -1 Point

I've got the #4 pick. Expecting A-rod, Pujols and Beltran to be off the board, but if not I will take one of those three. I'm debating between Vlad Guerrero and Bobby Abreu. Based on last years stats Abreu was worth 742 points, outstanding in every category except triples. Vlad was worth 698 points. Those two likely beat away anyone else on the board at that point, the Heltons, Tejadas, Bonds and Mannys. I'm leaning towards Abreu, but it's a tough call.

My other consideration is Randy Johnson. My rough estimate for RJ is that he's worth at least 600 pts, but unlikely to reach 700. Pitchers who accumulate that many points are rare which has me tempted to take him at 4, though by the time pick #17 rolls around I expect/hope at least one of Schmidt, Pedro and Prior to be left.

Decisions....

n/m, didn't see A-Rod was off at 3.

As far as Vladdy vs. Abreu, I think both could maintain the levels of performance that they set last year, even with Abreu recently jumping to the wrong side of 30. I'd take Abreu.

Guest Failed Mascot

Wade Miller is most likely going to be on the DL until the All Star Break.

Is there going to be a TSM league where OBP is stressed and not BA? If so then I'm in, if not I'll give away all my sleepers.

Wade Miller is most likely going to be on the DL until the All Star Break.

Is there going to be a TSM league where OBP is stressed and not BA? If so then I'm in, if not I'll give away all my sleepers.

The TSM MLB Keeper(don't think there's any open spots though) and Dr. Tom's TSM leagues will both be OBP based.

Well, I had my draft, and.....it was interesting. Good closers are worth a ton in this league, and a CRAZY run on closers started early on. Like, Gagne, Lidge and Rivera were gone before my 2nd pick. I decided not to disrupt my pre-existing strategy, so I got assed out in the relief category, but since it's points it's not a huge deal, and with the turnover rate on many teams I expect I can pick up a reliable closer or two as the season goes on.

Anyway, here's my team, let me know what y'all think. I was extremely surprised to get Randy Johnson with the 17th pick, but that's what closer runs will do. I think Thome was a steal where I got him, it was either him or Adam Dunn there, but I'm not a fan of Dunn, or that Cincy team. Wilkerson was earlier than I wanted him, I fucked up and ran out of time and he was top on my queue. Not a huge deal because I would have taken him in the next few rounds, and I think he'll be great this year, but it kind of messed up my strategy. Frank Thomas was a HUGE mistake as I didn't realize he was out til June, but I was due for at least one boneheaded move anyway. Valverde was a panic pick when I couldn't decide on anyone but knew I wanted a reliever.

Round 1: OF Bob Abreu

Round 2: P Randy Johnson

Round 3: OF Gary Sheffield

Round 4: SS Nomar Garciaparra

Round 5: 1B Jim Thome

Round 6: P Roger Clemens

Round 7: C Ivan Rodriguez

Round 8: P Roy Halladay

Round 9: 1B Brad Wilkerson

Round 10: P Josh Beckett

Round 11: 3B Chipper Jones

Round 12: OF Aaron Rowand

Round 13: SS Orlando Cabrera

Round 14: P C.C. Sabathia

Round 15: DH Frank Thomas

Round 16: P Jeremy Affeldt

Round 17: OF Trot Nixon

Round 18: SS Bobby Crosby

Round 19: 2B Luis Castillo

Round 20: P Jose Valverde

Round 21: 3B Dallas McPherson

Round 22: 1B Adam LaRoche

Round 23: C Johnny Estrada

Round 24: P Tsao Chin-Hui

Round 25: P Scot Shields

Round 26: OF Jason Lane

Round 27: P Juan Rincon

Round 28: P Dan Haren

I don't think I have a winning roster at the moment, my pitching needs work, but I like my basic foundation.

Guest Failed Mascot

I would PM Precious Roy some sleepers that may not have been picked up in his league but he's a dirty Yankees fan.

What is that a 4 team league or something? Or is everyone else in the league retarded?

Abreu 1st round? Never seen THAT before.

Nice team

Guest Failed Mascot

I got Adam Dunn in round 8 or 11 last year...something like that. Michael Young was a late round pick as well.

I would have beaten MiB had my pitching not tanked and gotten injured or a couple of the other people in our league were active so I could have replaced the pitching. Although the 3 team deal that myself, MiB, and Tim Moysey put together was cool.

What is that a 4 team league or something? Or is everyone else in the league retarded?

Abreu 1st round? Never seen THAT before.

Nice team

10 team, points league. The ENTIRE league sans myself went nuts on an early closer run (saves are worth 10 pts), leaving some easy pickings at other positions.

I'm impressed. Roy Halladay's a potential top tier starter. Chipper Jones is a steal at round 11. Dallas McPherson will top 30 home runs if he gets enough at bats. Thomas is terrific if healthy. C.C. Sabathia is on the rise. Danny Haren is a terrific final pick. Chin-Hui Tsao is in line to become the Rockies' closer, and he could be as good as any second tier closer you'll find.