TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Spaceman Spiff

The Complete Calvin & Hobbes

This might be a stupid question ... but how long has C&H been back? I don't normally read the comics, but I was at my family's house on Sunday and while fishing for the sports section I ran across the comics. And right there, center of the front page, was a C&H. The date that was written into a panel was that day's date ... so, are they just re-running old comics (that correspond to the month & day) or is Watterson writing new ones?

no, they're old, I recognize some of them, I think it's because of the 10th anniversary of it's end

plus it's probably to remind people that the book is coming out.

Also, FYI for anyone on here, at buy.com when you add in a 10% off coupon, it comes to $76 shipped. Much better than the $100 at Amazon.

Cool, thanks, guys.

Any word on how long they're going to be re-running them? I'm presuming that if it is just an anniversary thing they'll only run for a finite amount of time ...

UComics is your hookup

FYI for the anal retentive C&H fans, "The Complete Calvin and Hobbes" is not fucking complete!

Cut and pasted from http://www.newsfromme.com/archives/2005_09_22.html#010350

ch.gif

The just-now-being-released Complete Calvin and Hobbes has at least one strip that has been altered for republication. The last two panels of the 11/25/88 strip read as above in the original appearance and in subsequent reprints. Now, the balloons read...

CALVIN: Hmph! I'll bet a good mother would've bought me a comic book and made me feel better instead of shunning me like you.

MOM: Kid, anyone but a good mother would've left you to the wolves long ago.

CALVIN: Yeah, right. Let's see your training certificate.

As Laura notes, this was presumably done because the original was deemed offensive to adopted kids (and their adopters) and must have been done with the approval of Bill Watterson, who drew the strip and fiercely protected it. Personally, I have no problem with him doing this. It's his strip and his decision and I only note it here for the record, and to wonder if this is the only alteration.