TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tbondrage99

Most overrated/underrated writers & artists

I can't find a good web page that outlines the Elementals but the book was like a mix of FF/Avengers West Coast/Supreme Squadron/Authority. Byrne and Mark Millar are Bill Willingham biters, except being fair to Millar, Big Bill didn't have two gay heroes fathering an adopted baby girl with super powers. But, mayhem was the call of order for the Elementals in their stories. The book had a strong team "we are family" unity vibe to it along with loads of violence and great, great story twists that actually made sense. Anyone of the team members looked like they could get snuffed out. Bill Willingham was not afraid to let his team getting the shit kicked out of them, most notably by Captain Cadaver in one of the most ruthless fights I've checked out in comics.

Next Men was really good in the beginning but the Elementals came before it and it could be argued that Byrne was just biting from Willingham's work. Big Bill gave up the rights to the book though when Comico went under and some new guy resurrected the company but never did anything with the rights (sorta like McFarlane and Miracleman). The last Elementals book was published in 1997 but it was the late 80's run that everyone here should seek out. You can probably find the books in the cheap bins today.

I really can't do the book justice with an explanation. I recommend you seek out the books or else find some web site that gives you some insight into the stories before you're able to read them.

Highly, highly recommended book to check out. I hope it makes TPB one day.

I wouldn't call Peter Milligan underrated. Milligan is insanely hit or miss. He's either writing off-beat, original gems like X-Statix or he's writting banal, cliche crap like anything involving Venom and Carnage.

Milligan's big problem is that his work on books are ultra-predictable in terms of the fact that they always start somewhat good but within a year minimum Milligan, either on purpose or out of sheer mental retardation, kills the most interesting characters in every book he writes so as to focus on the other characters who are boring as dirt at best or just plain horrible characters. He did it on Shade the Changing Man and he did it on X-Force/X-Statixs, which is one of the reasons why I had a cow when he took over adjectiveless since Milligan's taking over of the book means that Havok and Polaris (the two most interesting characters in Adjectiveless, despite their violation at the hands of Austen) are dead mutant walking.