TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

The OFFICIAL All-Time Draft Thread

I don't think you can make a bad pick in the first round of this draft?

Well a few people here actually chose a player who plays a position worse than a player not chosen (see: Randy Johnson, no offense to Harley).

If you mean Hornsby, I realize he's not #1 defensively, but few second basemen are better hitters and that's generally what I was looking for. In the 1920s, during his prime, he was the National League's answer to Babe Ruth.

No, I was mainly referring to Harley, scolding him on taking Randy over Nolan Ryan.

Sorry, didn't realize I'm up already, but since I'm unprepared for this pick...

Nolan Ryan

So...is this his official pick? Am I up now?

I don't think you can make a bad pick in the first round of this draft?

Well a few people here actually chose a player who plays a position worse than a player not chosen (see: Randy Johnson, no offense to Harley).

If you mean Hornsby, I realize he's not #1 defensively, but few second basemen are better hitters and that's generally what I was looking for. In the 1920s, during his prime, he was the National League's answer to Babe Ruth.

No, I was mainly referring to Harley, scolding him on taking Randy over Nolan Ryan.

Why is Ryan a better pick than Johnson?

Nolan Ryan

You are up?

Ryan, while fabulous, had a poor walk rate (4.67 for his career), which was my main reasoning on taking RJ. Ryan also had a career 9.55 K/9 and had only eight seasons with a sub 3.00 ERA in 27 major league seasons! RJ has done that eight times in ten fewer seasons.

Slapnuts is up, followed by IK Cool Jew.

Nolan Ryan

You are up?

I don't know, am I? :huh:

This is really confusing.

Ryan, while fabulous, had a poor walk rate (4.67 for his career), which was my main reasoning on taking RJ. Ryan also had a career 9.55 K/9 and had only eight seasons with a sub 3.00 ERA in 27 major league seasons! RJ has done that eight times in ten fewer seasons.

Ok, it sounds like you know your stuff. I just thought that those career record number of strikeouts would come in handy.

Nolan Ryan

You are up?

I don't know, am I? :huh:

This is really confusing.

That question mark was a mistake. Your turn to pick.

Ok, it sounds like you know your stuff. I just thought that those career record number of strikeouts would come in handy.

Didn't mean to come off as defensive though if Johnson had 10 more seasons, I'm sure he could pad his K totals and get over 6,000 :lol:

Guest Brian

I had Aaron ranked number 5 overall on my SABR list, so you got a steal there.

You guys should note who's next when you pick, makes it flow easier

IK Cool Jew is on the clock, followed by myself. His ass BETTER make a pick tonight because I won't be online again til tommorow evening and I don't want to make y'all wait a whole day

Guest Brian

Why don't you just pm al your picks, Roy. You get two in a row, so submit three names just in case one gets swooped up.

As for Nolan Ryan vs. Randy Johnson, Johnson is a better pitcher and it is not even close. Ryan in my opinion is probably one of the most overrated players in baseball history. His adjusted ERA+ is not even within the top 100 pitchers in baseball history. He never won a Cy Young award, and as Harley noted, he walked a tremendous number of hitters.

By comparison, Johnson won five Cy Young awards to Nolan's zero. Johnson's adjusted ERA+ is eighth all-time. Johnson's K rate is the best all-time, and despite Ryan having played 27 seasons, Johnson has appeared in more All-Star games (10 to 8).

Yeah, I was debating on picking Ryan, but I saw that he only reached 20 wins TWICE in his career. He reached 300 because he pitched for so goddamn long.

Not that I have anything to add, but I wish there was a que or something we could use so we didn't have to be around when it's our turn. We're waiting on IK, and Roy has PMed his 2 requested picks, and then Im next, I feel like if I go to sleep before IK posts I hold everyone up until tommorow afternoon. Wish there was some system where we could rank our players and automatically have our next pick come up, but I guess that's not really possible. This draft is going to take a LONG time to finish....

I'm on the verge of sending my picks to Al, but I have a quick question: You said you'd pick a season of stats that's representative of the players career, but will this be weighted down for players that say, held on a year or two too long and brought down their career averages? I have a couple players in mind, now and for later rounds, who might suffer from this....

Al, just letting you know you mixed up JHawks pick and my pick in the picks thread. I have Mays, he has Johnson. Don't know if it was a big deal or not, but I guess i'm over analyzing everything thats happening between picks.

As for Nolan Ryan vs. Randy Johnson, Johnson is a better pitcher and it is not even close.  Ryan in my opinion is probably one of the most overrated players in baseball history.  His adjusted ERA+ is not even within the top 100 pitchers in baseball history.  He never won a Cy Young award, and as Harley noted, he walked a tremendous number of hitters.

By comparison, Johnson won five Cy Young awards to Nolan's zero.  Johnson's adjusted ERA+ is eighth all-time.  Johnson's K rate is the best all-time, and despite Ryan having played 27 seasons, Johnson has appeared in more All-Star games (10 to 8).

On a side note, as an impartial oberver, I could name ten pitchers currently not taken that I would pick over Nolan Ryan. In fact, there's one pitcher I can't believe hasn't been selected yet.

Well, we'll see. I might be up later then I thought since I just discovered I have a good bit of work I have to do that I forgot about (only when I want to go to sleep early, of course). So I'll be up for a while yet, but if he still hasn't posted yet, I'll PM a short list of picks.