TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Steve J. Rogers

Markish impressions you had as a youth

Guest cheercomp
Jobbers...or "wimpy guys" as i called them, didn't get paid if they lost

I called them the same things. Me and my pop would laugh at the wimpy guys getting beaten in rapid fashion....but marvel at 1-2-3 kid beating razor, b/c wimps didnt ever ever beat superstars.

When I started watching wrestling in 1999 I truly believed that wrestlers, except for a few, didn't know about each other. WCW didn't know about WWF and vice versa. I think this all came about because of the unsaid rule of not mentioning the other promotion at all. However, that quickly went away after a few months of research and visiting some messageboards.

We used to think that NWA and others were like the "minor leagues" and WWF was the big league. My dad used to call NWA "generic" wrestling. There'd be like less than 1,000 people in the crowd.

Guest Stunt Granny

I used to think Wrestlemania was a 1 hour saturday morning show hosted by Todd Pettingil.

Jobbers...or "wimpy guys" as i called them, didn't get paid if they lost

I called them the same things. Me and my pop would laugh at the wimpy guys getting beaten in rapid fashion....but marvel at 1-2-3 kid beating razor, b/c wimps didnt ever ever beat superstars.

My buddy and I called them the "wimpy dudes" and figured they got paid more than the Superstars since who would agree to lose every friggin week for little money?

My friends and I called jobbers "loser guys". One of my brother's friends was obsessed with jobbers (or "loser guys" if you will), he just didn't understand why they kept getting matches when they never won.

I also thought the NWA was "minor league" wrestling, since they weren't on national TV like the WWF. In fact since we didn't have TBS, I thought the AWA was higher up on the totem pole, since at least they had the ESPN deal.

I thought Liz cheated on Savage with Ric Flair (c'mon, the evidence was all there!).

I thought retirement matches were totally legit.

I was sold on the 'parts unknown' thing as well. Some wrestlers were too evil and mysterious for anybody to know where they came from.

Okay, I'll cop to it.

For a very long time, when I was much younger but still far too old for it to be acceptable, I believed that wrestling was entirely real. It was more fun that way, and while people told me it was fake, I wanted it to be real because it was much cooler that way. Even after I finally talked myself into accepting it when I was around 9, I bought the occasional locker room story from the Apter Mags... for example, when the Olympics started allowing professionals, they talked hypothetically about Bret Hart entering for Canada and I was just thrilled at how cool that would be.

I also collected autographs and would write asking for signed photos all the time when I was 10 or 11, but only WCW guys ever responded. The notable exception was a handwritten letter, ostensibly from Gorilla Monsoon (the interim president at the time), apologizing for his wrestlers not answering me. It might still be in one of my boxes of stuff in my parents' attic. It was sloppily written in blue marker, which in retrospect was a fabulous way of selling it as being from Monsoon.