TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Philadelphia Phillies

I haven't done one of these in a week, which is surprising since the Phillies were next on the list.

The Phillies finished above .500 for the second year in a row, the first time they have done that in twenty years. Yet, the season was a disappointment. The Phillies finished 10 games behind the Braves in the NL East, and six games behind the Astros in the Wild Card race. To me, it is clear what went wrong. Randy Wolf made 23 starts, Vicente Padilla made 20 starts, and Kevin Millwood made 25 starts. That is somewhere in the neighborhood of 28 starts missed by those three pitchers. Obviously the Phillies needed a replacement. Someone who, while not dominating, would at least pitch well enough to keep the Phillies competitive. A man who compiled a 17-4 record for the winningest team in American League History. The man, the myth, the legend....

Paul Fucking Abbott

If Ed Wade should ever come across this, I have a helpful hint. When the Tampa Bay Devil Rays have released a pitcher who compiled a 6.70 ERA along with 27 walks and 25 strikeouts in 47 innings, and a 2-5 record, that is a reasonable indicator that he SUCKS. Abbott made ten starts for the Phillies, compiling a 1-6 record along with 14 home runs, 31 walks, and 21 strikeouts in 49 innings. The Phillies went 3-7 when Abbott took the mound. Take away Abbott and replace him with someone who can pitch, and suddenly that six game deficit behind the Astros thins quickly.

The Phillies made few moves this season, but I honestly believe THIS TIME, they are the favorites to win the division. Quite simply, this is the deepest team by far in the division. The bullpen is clearly superior, they have options on the bench, and the lineup has no holes. The difference is in the rotation. The Phillies suffered injuries and underperformance at every turn last season. This year, I expect Randy Wolf to rebound, Brett Myers to improve, and Jon Lieber to at least throw strikes. With Vicente Padilla on the shelf, Gavin Floyd will get an opportunity to showcase his talent. The Phillies finished third in runs scored, so run production is not a problem. They finished thirteenth in runs allowed. A large portion of that was bad luck, and that should turn around.

The real question is Ed Wade. In the past, he has preferred to pick up middling veterans to fill holes instead of picking up talented players. Ryan Madson can pitch, and if the Phillies have rotation troubles, they can not let him sit in the bullpen again. If he is great in the bullpen, why move him? Because a 7th inning guy is not that important. More importantly, what is the good of an effective bullpen when Paul Abbott has imploded once again?

I hope Marlon Byrd comes back strong, and if he does, I think the Phillies can run away with this division.

Guest Smues
Wait a minute, Paul Abbott was 17-4? Or are you referring to someone else?

I'd guess he did this a long time ago and sucked more recently, and the Phillies picked him up thinking he could return to form.

He went 17-4 in 2001 for Seattle. He's been god awful ever since. As a Braves fan I'm sad the Phillies didn't keep Abbott.

Run away with the division? I can imagine a scenario in which they win it, but I don't think they are running away with anything.

The real question is Ed Wade. In the past, he has preferred to pick up middling veterans to fill holes instead of picking up talented players. Ryan Madson can pitch, and if the Phillies have rotation troubles, they can not let him sit in the bullpen again. If he is great in the bullpen, why move him? Because a 7th inning guy is not that important. More importantly, what is the good of an effective bullpen when Paul Abbott has imploded once again?

Oh don't worry about Fast Eddie, I'm sure he's got a few shitty relievers planned for the July trading deadline again...