TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cbacon

The return of Dr. Who

I just read about this and i'm pretty interested to see how it turns out. When I was a kid living in England I loved the show (particulary when Sylvested McCoy and Tom Baker where at the helm).

I bought a few of the DVD's recently which took me on a nostalgia trip. That said, the new series looks sorta interesting. I can't view any of the videos on the official site cause I despise RealPlayer so I was wondering if some of the Brits on this board could give a rundown of how it looks. The show airs here in Canada on April 5 on CBC.

Guest Desperate Housewife

It certainly wasn't the best thing ever, but it was pretty decent entertainement.

Eccelston is a fine choice of Doctor

Guest ally mccoist

Watched the first episode tonight and I wasn't very impressed. Maybe its because i'm not a kid anymore or whatever but I thought it was a bit shite, really. Eccleston as the Doctor has promise though, and Piper is fit, but I dunno, the whole thing was a bit cheese. The bit with the Doctor grappling a manequins arm was just too silly. Hopefullly it gets better, but I probably won't be arsed to watch it.

The problem was that, for all the hype about the BBC spending a fortune on special effects, it still looked shit. Outside of Christopher Eccleston, the acting was appalling and it reminded me more of the kind of mild drama I used to watch when younger (example for my fellow Brits being the Demon Headmaster) than quality primetime viewing.

Guest DVD Spree

I love the way everyone was hyping it as "Yeah, but it's not camp and chessy like the old Doctor Who, and now the special effects are awesome!" when the special effects looked like they were thrown together on a PC and the pilot featured evil mannequins and a fucking dustbin that eats people and makes them shiny.

Yup, and they can fly now so no more shitty stair "jokes" about em.

I liked it. The special effects were never going to be great so it never really bothered me particularly. The thing you've got to remember is they're showing it at 7pm on a Saturday evening, so they're aiming it as a family show. Therefore you're going to get silly moments like mannequin arms coming alive, for the kids.

Ecclestone was great as the Doctor and Piper was good enough. It all does the job very nicely. Though the burping dustbin was rancidly rubbish and the incidental music sucks.

I wonder what you'll make of the farting aliens later on in the series?

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Fuck a Flying Dalek. Really old episodes of Dr. Who used to be on PBS when I was a kid. They rolled around and shot darts and beams, from what I recall.