TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

The MMA QUADRUPLE shot~!

Guest Salacious Crumb

He also about got decapitated on that kip-up. I wish someone would do that the next time Michaels does it in the WWF.

Guest Salacious Crumb

It looked a lot cooler this time since he ran across the ring with him. It seemed like he was giving Trigg a little payback for the cheap shot early in the fight.

Their first fight got played on FSN this week.

Guest Salacious Crumb

I was looking over some MMA boards and wow are MMA fans whiney bitches. You'd think Dana White killed their dog or something the way they act.

I really liked Ultimate Fighter and especially the Ultimate Finale (Bonnar vs Griffin rocked my world), so I ordered UFC 52 last night. And wow, what a great damn show. Some thoughts:

-St. Pierre vs Miller was crazy. St. Pierre is a violent unstoppable motherfucker, but Miller would not quit and kept trying to fight back. My favorite fight of the night. Super way to kick off the show.

-Hughes vs Trigg was really good too. Hughes just picking up Trigg and carrying him across the ring before slamming him down was the move of the night. So awesome and bad ass.

-Babalu is a kick ass name and an impressive fighter. I really liked his fight.

-Couture vs Liddell was awesome and surprising. I read everywhere that Couture was going to win in a squash and how great he was for never being knocked out, and then BAM! KNOCKED THE FUCK OUT. Wild. Liddell had a great response after knocking Couture down - a WTF look on his face before jumping on him.

-I loved that when the main event ended way before their time slot ran out, they put on fights from the undercard. WWE PPV's sometimes end around 8:15-8:30, over a half hour before their slot ends, and it is a waste of my money. UFC? No way. They put on extra fights to fill out the time. Kudos to them. (or I may be wrong and the post-main fights were happening anyways. Whatever way, they filled out the timeslot. Good for them.)

I am definitely ordering the next show and some DVD's from the UFC web site (I really want to see more St. Pierre as well as Couture/Liddell I). Congrats to the UFC for having such an awesome show.

I will not be watching the show live since I don't have PPV here at school.  :( Rest assured I'll watch the show hopefully tommorow, but until then, I probably won't step into this folder, to avoid results. Enjoy the show for those watching!

Predictions:

Couture, unanimous decision.

Hughes, 2nd round submission

Babalu, 1st round KO

Lindland, unanimous decision

St. Pierre, 1st round KO

Well luckily I was able to watch the show the next night. Pretty good with my predictions, nailing the Hughes win (EDIT: Again, it's real late and I just realised it was a first round submission, not a second) and of course one notable exception.

It's real late and I need to sleep (I'm probably ditching classes tommorow, thanks UFC!) so I'll keep my comments brief (EDIT: so much for that idea!) and maybe have more tommorow.

Liddell's knockout was stunning. I'm a little suspicious though that right before that, Randy got poked in the eye and looked like he couldn't see. He's a champ for wanting to continue though, not wanting the main event stopped like that, but I have a feeling he was only seeing out of one eye which led to the opening for Chuck's knockout. That said, congrats to Chuck because he deserves it, I really didn't want to see either guy lose honestly.

Hughes vs. Trigg was amaizng. I was rooting so hard for Trigg. Ever since Penn got stripped of his title and then watching St. Pierre come 1 second away from defeating him basically, combined with Trigg's charisma, I really didn't like Matt Hughes. My respect for him just grew about a billion percent. Matt Hughes is amazing. He gets kicked in the groin, looked for all the world to be TKOed, then choked out and not only does he get out of it, but does it with a ferocious slam and a choke of his own. Just an amazing performance.

St. Pierre is indeed awesome and he needs a rematch with Hughes right now. Miller looked like a crazy motherfucker. Dude always smiling and jumping around. First round especially was awesome, and you got to love St. Pierre pulling out the Wanderlei stomps (which I thought were illegal in UFC, but I guess not) and other fun stuff like the return of the spinning kick and and a back fist too.

I felt really bad for Patrick Cote. I don't know if I just have an affection for him after seeing him live as a total underdog thrown into a main event with Tito and coming inches away from knocking him out, but I really want to see him suceed. His strikes look deadly and I don't know how Doerkson survived that. Hopefully Predator is brought back.

Lindland fight was boringest of the night as expected. Hughes at 185 vs. Lindland? Whaah? Or Jeremy Horn back in UFC. Which is more likely?

Babalu with a nice armbar, him and Chuck in a rematch for the title?

I like Salaverry, he's got excellent submission skills. Rogan's right, Middleweight is STACKED. I was going to say give Salaverry the Franklin/Tanner winner, but I guess Lindland would be next in line.

Sp UFC 53 as was previously leaked is Arlovski/Eilers and Tanner/Franklin. I really like the latter match and hope it's the main event. I guess if Mir's not ready yet, there's not much else they could do, so hopefully it's an entertaining squash or a shocking upset. Hopefully they stack the undercard with some good fights. Hope to score comps again! fingers crossed!

Overall an excellent show. New UFC fans are sure getting a treat with the Ultimate Fighter finale and then this show. But the best might be yet to come, as next week is the Pride Middleweight Tournament opening round. I encourage all you new MMA fans who can spend the PPV bucks to give Pride a try. It's a little bit of a different style, but this is an excellent show to start on as every match looks stacked with some of the best fighters in the world. I'll be at home next weekend and will order it live. :)

I just watched St. Pierre/Miller again and it was even BETTER than I remembered, LOL. It was like a Fedor/Nog match, cept quicker!

Honestly, April isn't even over and there's like 5 FOTYC already.

Bonnar/Griffin

Fedor/Noguiera

St. Pierre/Miller

Hughes/Trigg

Uno/Hansen

And that doesn't even count the Ultimate Fighter fights (Sanchez/Koscheck!) or some of the PRIDE fights that I haven't gotten around to watching.

And we will certainly get something out of the next PRIDE Tournament show.

RUMORED UFC 53 card from MMA Weekly. Take it with a grain of salt, but I've bolded quite the interesting match.

UFC 53 - JUNE 4th- Atlantic City, New Jersey

- Evan Tanner vs Rich Franklin - UFC TITLE FIGHT

- Matt Serra vs Karo Parisyan

- Nick Diaz vs Pancrase opponent

- Andrei Arlovski vs Justin Eilers

- Charles "Chainsaw" McCarthy vs David Terrell

- Stephan Bonner vs Sam Hoger

- Tim Sylvia vs Minotauro Nogueira

Guest Salacious Crumb

I made the mistake of wandering into the Sherdog forums shortly after UFC 52. I won't be doing that again. Looks like this is the only place with reasonable MMA fans.

Trigg is already running his mouth and making excuses for his loss. What an ass. Maybe he'll reinvent himself again so he can get beat by the exact same moves by Hughes.

Guest Brian
I made the mistake of wandering into the Sherdog forums shortly after UFC 52. I won't be doing that again. Looks like this is the only place with reasonable MMA fans.

Trigg is already running his mouth and making excuses for his loss. What an ass. Maybe he'll reinvent himself again so he can get beat by the exact same moves by Hughes.

I actually tried to shuffle through all seven pages of arguing over the best light-heavies. My head hurt. And I only made it half way through page 2.

Guest Brian

Did anyone see this:

Sean O’Haire is no stranger to the world of entertainment. He is a seasoned veteran of the professional wrestling world. As a former WWE and WCW Tag Team Champion, O’Haire has wowed audiences with his remarkable agility for a man of his size as well as his charisma. At 6 foot 6, and 270 pounds, and with these attributes, it is no wonder Sean O’Haire is a rising star in the world of kickboxing.

April 30, 2005 will mark a very important date in the life of Sean O’Haire, as well as the kickboxing world. The Battle at Bellagio IV, presented by K-1 USA takes place in Las Vegas, and this could be the day O’Haire dominates the competition to become the Battle at Bellagio Tournament Champion. Doing so would establish O’Haire as one of the top fighters in the world. However, this will not be an easy task, as Battle at Bellagio III champion, and fellow Valor fighter, Mighty Mou returns to defend his title. “I don’t expect this to be easy, I don’t want it to be easy. My whole life, I have thrived on competition, and this is no different. I want everyone else to be at their best, so I know I am the best when I beat them.”

O’Haire, although new to competing in the MMA and kickboxing, has been training in martial arts for over 22 years! He has trained himself in several fighting styles such as Muay Thai, Kung Fu, Seshifen-ki Karate, and submission grappling. O’Haire has used these impressive tools to obliterate Shungo Oyama at Rumble on The Rock in Hawaii (2004) in 31 seconds with a KO. Sean also submitted Tony Roberts in only 1:11 at Venom Fighting in Long Beach (2004).

O’Haire understands the level of competition for this event as well. “Gary Goodridge will be a tough fight, I know that going in. I have studied him and am ready to have a great fight. When I advance, I have a very tough draw, and anyone would be foolish not to see this. Carter Williams and Michael McDonald are two of the best at kickboxing, and are legitimate threats to win the Battle at Bellagio IV.”

“As a representative of Valor fighting, I will give it everything I have. We have such a strong fan base, and I will not let them down, nor will I let myself down. With a very tough draw it will not be easy, but that is just a testament to the great fighters in this tournament. There is such talent here, that is why I love competing for K-1, they bring the best to the table.” O’Haire is definitely focused on the task at hand. His training has gone very well. “Things are going better than expected. I feel great, and on April 30, 2005, at the K-1 Battle at Bellagio IV, I will enter at 100% and leave the New Battle at Bellagio Champion.”

Well, judging by O’Haire’s feelings about April 30, 2005, it will make for an interesting night. One thing is for sure, Sean will make an impact in less than 30 days, at K-1’s Battle at Bellagio IV, live in Las Vegas, and available on Pay-Per-View. Stay tuned to www.valorfighting.com for more stories leading up to the big show, including stories on Mark Selbee and Mighty Mou.

A lil somethin something from the Yahoo main page...

Monday April 18, 2005 1:00PM PT

Ultimate Fighting

Bubbling up from the underground, Ultimate Fighting is pummeling the buzz with its brand of mixed martial arts competition. With boxing on the wane and the BUTT of jokes (who is the heavyweight champ right now, anyway?), UFC has stepped in to fill the void for fans of mano a mano ring action.

This weekend, the UFC took over the MGM Grand in Las Vegas for UFC 52 and with a huge pay-per-view audience and a packed house, buzz emerged victorious. Searches on "Ultimate Fighting Championship" doubled Sunday, delivering a roundhouse kick to the buzz and knocking the circuit into our top 30 searches overall. Mainstream sports media neglected UFC, so fans flocked to the Net for news and information on what's poppin' in the octagon.

Hot on the heels of the buzz success of reality TV show The Ultimate Fighter, the UFC seems primed to continue its crossover into the mainstream. The Las Vegas card accounted for some of Sunday's largest search spikes including...

UFC 52 Results (+600%)

UFC Results (+569%)

Chuck Liddell (+361%)

Randy Couture (+274%)

UFC 52 (+186%)

Tapout (+138%)

Ultimate Fighting (+134%)

UFC.com (+132%)

Mixed Martial Arts (+122%)

While the circuit is still trying to shake the unsavory stigma attached from its early days of "no rules," the UFC has become proven search slugger and looks primed to keep the buzz in submission for quite some time.

Here's the official line up and order for the next PRIDE show.

*Kevin Randleman vs. Kazuhiro Nakamura

*Dean Lister vs. Ricardo Arona

*Igor Vovchanchyn vs. Yuki Kondo

*Vitor Belfort vs. Alistair Overeem

*Dan Henderson vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira

*Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Yoon Dong Sik

*Quinton Jackson vs. Mauricio Shogun Rua

*Wanderlei Silva vs. Hidehiko Yoshida

Gaddamn if that isn't one of the best on-paper cards I have ever seen that I am not even remotely hyped for.

How much do Pride shows run?

30 Bucks, which is now $5 less then UFC. I would def. say give them a shot. When I was first getting into MMA a couple years ago I ordered both a UFC show and a Pride show that were a week a part to get a taste for both. This, as mentioned is just an excellent lineup and while it might not have the hype and glitz of UFC, this is probably the most talent laden tournament in MMA history.

Guest Salacious Crumb

When's the second round of the GP going to be on PPV? I already got UFC so I can't really justify another $30 on MMA.

Maybe some Pride DVDs if you guys can recommend 1 or 2.

This is tough to pick, but I'll try.

*Kevin Randleman vs. Kazuhiro Nakamura

Randleman by TKO. Yes, god help me, I'm picking Randleman to win a fight he should win.

*Dean Lister vs. Ricardo Arona

Arona by decision. This could be really close, Lister looked skilled at Bushido 6.

*Igor Vovchanchyn vs. Yuki Kondo

Igor by brutal KO.

*Vitor Belfort vs. Alistair Overeem

Overheem by decision.

*Dan Henderson vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira

Nogueira in split, close, hotly debated deicsion.

*Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Yoon Dong Sik

Sik's the only one I'm not familiar with. Sakuraba by submission then pulls out with injury?

*Quinton Jackson vs. Mauricio Shogun Rua

Hopefully Jackson by domimant KO and none of that sluggish crap again.

*Wanderlei Silva vs. Hidehiko Yoshida

Delicious KO. Hopefully by foot stompage again.

When's the second round of the GP going to be on PPV?  I already got UFC so I can't really justify another $30 on MMA.

Maybe some Pride DVDs if you guys can recommend 1 or 2.

Pride runs every 2 months like UFC (not counting their smaller Bushido shows which are only neccesarry for MMA hardcores). So the 2nd round would be in June and the semis and final in August.

As for Pride DVDs. Try Suncoast video which usually has some (for 10 bucks no less). If you can find them try Return of the Warriors (PRIDE 10), Cold Fury (PRIDE 12), Collision Course (PRIDE 13) and Championship Chaos (PRIDE 17). But really you shouldn't go wrong with any of them (Im sure the more knowledgeable will correct me on that statement!)

If PRIDE didn't just finish a heavyweight tournament last year, and then have a middleweight tournament a year before that, and maybe if they had a hot fighter involved (like Rampage was in 2003) where there was an anticipated fight, I'd be hyped for it. I want to see the show, but I won't feel like death when I am not buying it.

Guest Salacious Crumb

I had heard that this event was bombing pretty hard at the box office in Japan.

Guest Brian

PRIDE 10 is definately a great show.

I'm considering getting this but I can't decide where I need funds to go.

I had heard that this event was bombing pretty hard at the box office in Japan.

Because there's no freakshow crap like Ogawa vs. Giant Silva vs. Akebono 3 way matches. Put that on the card and it would sell out. ;)

PRIDE 10 is definately a great show.

I'm considering getting this but I can't decide where I need funds to go.

I'm not trying to pressure you but GET THIS SHOW!

I mean it's got Silva, Rampage, Sakuraba, Hendo, Belfort, Vovchanchyn, Kondo, Arona, Randleman, and it's probably the best collection of LHW's on any card EVER.

Probably the highest ratio of greatness to crap on any card EVER.

Probably the greatest tournament EVER.

Probably the highest percentage of top talent on any card EVER.

But no, I'm not pressuring you at all ;)