TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Steve J. Rogers

Yankee dynasty officially over

Creole

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

For the languages, see Creole language

The term Creole is used with different meanings in different contexts, which can generate confusion. Generally it refers to a people or a culture that is distinctive or local to a region, but with various additional shades of meaning.

Contents [showhide]

1 Latin American Creole

2 "Filipino" Creoles

3 New Orleans and Louisiana Creole

4 Alaska Creole

5 Portuguese Creole

6 Caribbean creole

7 References

[edit]

Latin American Creole

In most of Latin America Creole (Spanish, criollo, Portuguese, crioulo) generally refers to people of unmixed Spanish or Portuguese descent born in the New World. In Brazil, though, the word is a pejorative slang for a black individual.

Throughout the colonial history of Latin America, the Spanish caste system made distinction between criollos and the higher-ranking and governing peninsulares, despite both being of pure Spanish ancestry — the only distinction being that the latter were born on the Iberian Peninsula, hence the name.

This formed a discontented criollo underclass that, together with the support of the other decreasing-in-rank underclasses — mestizo, mulatto, amerindian, zambo and ultimately black slaves — impelled the Mexican War of Independence (1810–1821) and the South American Wars of Independence (1810–1825) against Spain, culminating in the establishment of republics throughout the former Spanish Empire.

In Brazil, a very different process occurred, independence largely being granted without war, and the relationship between unmixed Portuguese and mestiços kept peaceful. Unlike in Spanish America, a Brazilian monarchy directly connected to the Portuguese monarchy was established. Those unmixed Portuguese born in Portugal living in Brazil were deemed Galegos (in refference to the northern Portuguese origin of most, but also used on those born in south Portugal).

[edit]

"Filipino" Creoles

During the colonial era of the Philippines, the term "Filipino" served the same purpose as the term "Criollo" in Latin America, though there it implied the birth of the unmixed Spaniard was in the Philippines. "Insular" had a synonymous meaning with "Filipino", and also implied the birth of a Spaniard on the islands. Those Spaniards that were born in Europe were still denominated "Peninsulares".

The term "Filipino" was drastically changed during the Philippine Revolution when it was taken by nationalistic natives from the governing Spanish and Spanish-mestizo minority, and was transformed into a national designation to include the native majority as well.

Today, "Filipino" stands for the exact opposite of its colonial meaning, and is now used in reference for the population majority, the unmixed native Malays of the archipelago, while ironically it now somewhat excludes the 1% mixed Spanish-descended minority (Spanish-mestizos) who are seen, and often regard themselves, as foreigners.

The population of Spanish-mestizos (native Malay and Spanish or Mexican) in the Philippines has never accounted for more than 1% of the demographics of the Philippines. Meanwhile, numbers of creoles have always accounted for even fewer than the Spanish-mestizos, and today number only 17,000 (0.02%) amid a population of native Filipinos not far from 90 million.

[edit]

New Orleans and Louisiana Creole

In this context the word refers to people of any race or mixture thereof who are descended from settlers in Louisiana before it became part of the USA in 1803 with the Louisiana Purchase, or to the culture and cuisine typical of these people. Some writers from other parts of the USA have mistakenly assumed the term to refer only to people of mixed racial descent, but this is not the traditional Louisiana usage. In fact some locals, especially those of pure Spanish and French Creole descent, have often argued that the traditional usage excluded African lineage. However, Colonial era documents show that a broader usage of the term was already common by the late 18th century, with references to "free Creoles of Color" and even to slaves of pure African descent born in Louisiana as "Creole slaves". It is now accepted that Creole is a broad cultural group of people of all races who share a French or Spanish background. Louisianans who identify themselves as "Creole" are most commonly from historically Francophone communities with some ancestors who came to Louisiana either directly from France or via the French colonies in the Caribbean; those decended from the Acadians of French Canada are more likely to identify themselves as Cajun than Creole.

[edit]

Alaska Creole

People of mixed Native American (esp. Alaskan) and European (esp. Russian) ancestry. The intermingling of promyshleniki men and Aleut women in the late 18th century gave rise to a people who assumed a prominent position in the economy of fur trading in the northern Pacific.

[edit]

Portuguese Creole

People of mixed Portuguese and native ancestry that Portuguese had contact since the 15th century, and who spoke a Portuguese Creole language.

Mixed Portuguese and African ancestry.

Guinea-Bissau Creole (Crioulo)

Ziguinchor Creole (Fijus di Terra, Fijus di Fidalgu, Portuguis)

Capeverdian Creole (Crioulo)

São Tomean Creole (Crioulo, Forro)

Mixed Portuguese and Asian ancestry.

Chinese Creole (Filhos di Macau, Macanese)

Malay Creole (Portuguese-Malay, Gente Kristang)

Indian Creole (Portuguese-Indian)

Sri Lanka Creole (Portuguese Bhurger)

People of mixed Portuguese and Native ancestry that the Portuguese had contact with since the 15th century but who didn't speak a Portuguese creole are known as mulatos, mestiços, caboclos and pardos.

Angolan mulato or mestiço

Mozambican mulato or mestiço

Brazilian mulato, mestiço, caboclo or pardo

See also: Portuguese Creole

[edit]

Caribbean creole

In the Caribbean region the term creole is used to describe anyone, regardless of race or ethnicity, that was born and raised in the region. It also refers to the syncretism of the various cultures (African, French, British and Spanish among others) which influenced the area. This is also referred to as the creolization of society "due to its ability to suggest some of the complex sociocultural issues also involved in the process".(Manuel,p14) Linguistically speaking,it denotes the evolution of the blending of two or more languages to form a distinct new language that becomes the primary language of future generations.

thx Wikipedia

This is true. It refers to one of the mixed ancestries of the Caribbean. I can never keep mulatto, mestizo, and creole straight. But Creole is the Frenchest of the three.

So then why the big freak out?

I mean it's no wonder why the Mariners and Rangers got better after he left!

Yeah, the Mariners acquired Bret Boone and Ichiro Suzuki, and the Rangers managed to pull together a decent bullpen. It's no secret that Rodriguez performs voodoo curses in order to doom his own team's bullpens.

Damn straight he does. Latino my ass. The dude's from Haiti or Creole. He's just got lighter skin.

Creole is a language, not a place, you dumbshit.

Freak out why don't you b/c I'm not up on my voodoo geography. That's the problem with this forum. People's blood boil over stupid shit.

What do you expect? You just made up a country out of thin air!

The way you write, I swear you must be from either be from Texas or Redneck.

Well I am from Oklahoma dipshit. Just a bunch of Texas Jr. Rednecks here.

That was some fascinating info on creoles. I too have often wondered about the term since sometimes it means mixed or black, yet I've also seen it used in other ways (such as the Elvis movie King Creole, or John James Audubon having a Creole wife) that implied someone that was French from Louisiana.

Anyway, I think since A-Rod is from somewhere like Miami he's probably Cuban. And I can't see why it's a shock that the Mariners and Rangers got better without him....they used the money that he would have gotten to get players in other areas.

Something is definately up with Rivera and his outings against Boston. I really don't have an explanation, but jeez, it's nothing major to get worked up about. Overall, he is still one of the top closers in the league.

Well I am from Oklahoma dipshit. Just a bunch of Texas Jr. Rednecks here.

I figured you probably wouldn't get it.

We haven't won a world series in FIVE years.

violin.gif

I know man shit, I was about to say the same thing. I guess expectations are raised when you have such an obvious handicap on the rest of the league though.

:rolleyes:

My POINT was that saying the dynasty is over NOW is retarded, because it's been over for several years. We haven't won shit since 2000, the dynasty was 96-2000, and it ended in 2001.

But go ahead and pretend I was whining, make me out to be a spoiled Yankees fan so you can feel better about your shitty teams, ya jackasses :boxing:

Yeah, because it's SO much fun watching the Yankees buy insane ammounts of high priced talent, have NO farm system, and no team chemistry. And hearing every single non-Yankee fan in the world bitch about my team, that's the bomb. I live for that shit :rolleyes:

If I was a frontrunner you'd see a Sox flag down there, and forget about the F'n Knicks. I've explained the hows and whys of my fandom a half dozen times here already, if it matters that much to you go dig up the posts.

Guest thetrendsetter

To call the 2002-05 yankees part of the 96-2001 (I consider 2001 part of the dynasty... if not for the most dominant 1-2 pitching combo in history, they would have won the seires) dynasty is along the same lines as calling the 91-05 braves a dynasty...

they made the playoffs 4 consecutive years, which is a feat in baseball... but neither are dynasties, just great teams over a peroid of time...

Yankees 1996-2001 <-- Dynasty

Yankees 2002 -present <--- Really Good Team

Must everyone forget that had Rodriguez NOT booted that ground ball, there probably would have been a double play and the game would've been over? Worst case scenario he would have gotten the force at home and there would be 2 outs with the Yankees still leading by 1.

Rivera loaded the bases, but he got the strikeout and the grounder that he needed to get himself out of it. The defensive lapse cost him. So I wouldn't count him out just yet. He will still save 50+ this year.

Anyway, I think since A-Rod is from somewhere like Miami he's probably Cuban. And I can't see why it's a shock that the Mariners and Rangers got better without him....they used the money that he would have gotten to get players in other areas.

Rodriguez was born in New York City.

To call the 2002-05 yankees part of the 96-2001 (I consider 2001 part of the dynasty... if not for the most dominant 1-2 pitching combo in history, they would have won the seires) dynasty is along the same lines as calling the 91-05 braves a dynasty...

they made the playoffs 4 consecutive years, which is a feat in baseball... but neither are dynasties, just great teams over a peroid of time...

Yankees 1996-2001 <-- Dynasty

Yankees 2002 -present <--- Really Good Team

Two reasons I consider this Yankee team part of the dynasty. One, Bernie Williams, Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera are still around and kicking. Second, and more importantly, the 2002-04 Yankees have won 100+ games three years in a row. They are the only Yankee squad to accomplish this, and only four other teams in MLB history have done it.

Connecticut is the pinstripe-headed bastard stepchild of New England. I mean, it's full of transplanted New Yorkers AND they actually care about college basketball over there. Aliens.

Second, and more importantly, the 2002-04 Yankees have won 100+ games three years in a row. They are the only Yankee squad to accomplish this, and only four other teams in MLB history have done it.

But, none of those teams have won the World Series. Don't you have to have at least 1 championship, to be considered a dynasty, or in this case of continuation of one?

Second, and more importantly, the 2002-04 Yankees have won 100+ games three years in a row. They are the only Yankee squad to accomplish this, and only four other teams in MLB history have done it.

But, none of those teams have won the World Series. Don't you have to have at least 1 championship, to be considered a dynasty, or in this case of continuation of one?

I don't think you have to win the series to be considered a dynasty. I think in a few years, with a little hindsight, the Braves winning 13 straight pennants will be considered a dynasty.

Yeah, I kind of agree on the division titles. The Yankees and Braves may not domnate MLB, but those division titles are pretty impressive. In fact, when you play a 162-game season, and seven game series in the playoffs, you could make an argument that winning the AL East or the NL East/West is actually more difficult than winning the Series.

Note: NL West is included, because the Braves have been winning division titles so long that some of the titles in the current streak were actually won when the Braves played in the NL West.

Isnt Alex Puerto rican?

anyhow, yea alex made the big mistake in that game. Mo again seems not to be ready to play (this seems to happen to him alot at thr start of the season) I wouldn't have put him in there against Boston again, but thats what you usually have to do after a bad game (though in game 2 of the series he just gave up one gopher ball and a base hit as opposed to game 2s mess) You can't really make a big deal out of the first week of the season, but there are some real concerns. Mo seemed to be intimidated, and that's something he has never been. Of course since the sox and yanks have played an ungodly amount of games versus one another in the past 3 years, you might expect something like this. And actually the yanks had no business winning a game where they only got 3 hits. The "old" yanks would have won games like that probably. And using the "D" word is always dumb. I'd like to wait and see before I make bold predicitions of hope and despair.

Hey whatever I'm a Yankee for life. No matter what bad or good happens.

I would never boo my own team, but I can understand if they were doing that, considering the huge chunks of money these guys get paid and the high ticket prices.

and hey at the least, even without a championship in 5 years, at least they're still in the hunt every year. Beats the mid80s-early 90s when they sucked (which is ironically enough when I became a fan as a kid)

It's all in fun though, the feud continues.