Petey Williams defeated Rory Fox

Semifinals

Puma beat JJ Perez

Petey Williams beat Alex Shelley

Finals

Petey Williams defeated Puma to win the 2005 ECWA Super 8

---------

not the entire show, and not in detail, but these are the nuts and bolts

I think this is the first time I've read results from outside of TNA where Williams actually won a match. Seems like he constantly jobs in Ontario, especially in Scott D'Amore's Border City Wrestling out of Windsor.

Awesome news. Petey Williams has been the EWR champion since February, so he's been pretty successful outside of TNA I'd say.

Oh and cheap plug for our next show:

Pride%20War.jpg

Guest Sturgis

The attendence was about 350-400.

Scott D'Amore, Low-Ki, & Gary Micheal Capetta(a very cool guy to meet) were also in attendence.

I think this is the first time I've read results from outside of TNA where Williams actually won a match.

He was IWA Mid-South champion for about five minutes, but other than that nothing else comes to mind.

Looks like a decent tournament on paper, even if they did go with the most obvious winners in each round.

Guest DeputyHawk

Also, what's the point of having Petey win? He's already one of the most established indy guys out there, irrespective of the Super 8. Putting Puma or JJ Perez over would have made much more sense in the context of what the tournament's supposed to be about, and would have opened lots of doors for either one of them. Not as bad as having Daniels win it a second time last year, but still.

Guest OSIcon

Daniels winning it last year actually made sense.

It was reported going into last year's Super 8, that Daniels was put in the tournament because he is the one non-ECWA regular that the regular ECWA fans request the most. In 2003, they put London over, even though the regulars didn't get behind him much at all. It seemed that Daniels winning in 2004 was more to please their regular audiance more than anything. It also probably helped create a "anybody can win" atmosphere.

People seem to be under a false assumption that the Super 8 is all about putting over a complete unknown. I think it just seems like they did that in the past because indy wrestlers were a lot less well known. If you look at the past winners though, the first two years had ECWA regulars winning. From that point on, it was always one of the more popular indy wrestlers at the time that won (Steve Bradley, Daniels, Low Ki, Donovan Morgan, Paul London).