TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Styles

The Bank Shot with Bill Banks(some news and notes)

The Bank Shot: TNA News and Views

On Tuesday afternoon, a contingent of TNA staff and wrestlers returned to Nashville after attending services for Chris Candido in New Jersey. Everyone I’ve spoken with who attended said it was a touching tribute.

TNA President Dixie Carter presented Candido’s family with one of the NWA World Tag Team Title belts during the Tuesday service, which was draped across the casket in honor of Chris.

On a personal note, I was extremely touched by Impact this past week, which featured Candido assisting The Naturals over AMW in the main event. You can’t help but feel that something else was at work with the way Impact ended. I can’t explain it better than that. A lot of others I’ve spoken to feel the same way.

The wrestling world has taken this loss particularly hard, as Candido touched a lot of people over his career. If you’d like information on how you can donate to a scholarship set up in Candido’s name at his high school, PLEASE CLICK HERE: http://www.tnawrestling.com/news/2005/4/29/newscandido.html

Despite the sadness over the lose of Candido, TNA did receive some good news on Monday night as we learned AJ Styles and his wife gave birth to a healthy baby boy, their first. Everyone at TNA would like to congratulate “The Phenomenal One” on becoming a daddy.

Speaking of AJ, look for a special video package featuring The Phenomenal One that will air on Impact the week of the Hard Justice Pay-Per-View. TNA’s creative video madman David Sahadi spent a day with Styles in the Chattanooga mountains, filming various scenes with AJ training for his upcoming NWA World Heavyweight Title match at Hard Justice against Jeff Jarrett. The AJ video package will also feature comments on Styles from the likes of Jerry Lynn, Jimmy Hart, Terry Taylor, Mike Tenay and others.

TNA also announced last week the signing of former UFC champion Tito Oritz, who will serve as special referee for the Jarrett vs. Styles bout at the Pay-Per-View. TNA cameras traveled to Los Angeles to film an interview with Ortiz about his upcoming job at Hard Justice. I got an opportunity to watch the raw footage of Ortiz that Jeremy Borash brought back, and I will say it’s obvious Ortiz is a big fan of wrestling and has been following it for some time. In the upcoming interview, set to air on Impact the week of Hard Justice, Ortiz talks about Hard Justice, Styles, Jarrett, as well as comments on the UFC.

Don’t forget to catch Jeff Jarrett, AJ Styles and Abyss this Thursday night on the WB’s “Blue Collar TV”. Part 1 of the 2-part skit aired last week, with cameos by TNA announcers Don West and Jeremy Borash. This week’s episode will be highlighted by the arrival of Jarrett, Styles and Abyss.

This Friday on Impact, we’ll be a little more than a week away from the Sunday, May 15 “Hard Justice”. On Impact, you’ll see Shocker take on Sonjay Dutt, Abyss vs. Cassidy Reilly, Konnan vs. The Outlaw and Michael Shane vs. Chris Sabin. In addition, there will be a one-on-one sitdown interview with Jeff Jarrett and AJ Styles conducted by “The Professor” Mike Tenay.

TNA continues to roll out new DVD titles, with the Raven and Final Resolution DVDs recently debuting on the website. Destination X and The Best of Jeff Hardy are up next, and should be available for order by early June. After overcoming some early obstacles with our ShopTNA.com store, we’re happy to now guarantee that all in-stock orders will ship within three business days!

Last week in Orlando, I had the opportunity to preview some of the future TNA talent who are training with Scott D’Amore at his wrestling school in Canada. Kudos to D’Amore, who has done an outstanding job teaching these prospects. We’ll be posting more information on the TNA trainees as they continue their learning process in the hopes of one day making it to TNA television.

If you check out the online Impact area, take a moment to vote in the current poll which asks “If TNA were to introduce a new title, it should be…” Thus far, voting has been almost neck-and-neck between a Hardcore or Television Title.

Representatives from the French sports network RDS were in attendance at the Impact tapings in Orlando last week. The relationship between RDS and TNA has resulted in major success and continues to grow on a weekly basis. RDS representatives taped over a dozen interviews with TNA superstars that will air over the coming weeks on the network during Impact.

Last but certainly not least, plans for our big three-year Slammiversary Pay-Per-View are coming together, with some major announcements on the horizon in the coming weeks. Artwork for the big anniversary Pay-Per-View event is being finalized, which we hope to debut on the website next week sometime. We’ll also be announcing upcoming names and dates for future TNA Pay-Per-Views in the next few weeks.

That’s it for this week’s TNA news and notes – enjoy Impact on Friday on Fox Sports Net!

Bill Banks

Thats pretty classy of TNA in regards to Chris Candido's funeral.

If TNA is going to introduce a new singles title, why not sort of a North American title? It would be something for the non-X-Division midcarders to fight for.

anyone know the time slot for BCTV? if get off work at 7pm central.

anyone know the time slot for BCTV? if get off work at 7pm central.

8pm ET. It's 30 minutes head to head with Smackdown. The wrestling wars are back~! ;)

If TNA is going to introduce a new singles title, why not sort of a North American title? It would be something for the non-X-Division midcarders to fight for.

Because North American Title sounds gay.

National Title or National Champion.

of course TV title is an option.

If TNA is going to introduce a new singles title, why not sort of a North American title?  It would be something for the non-X-Division midcarders to fight for.

The NWA North American Title is held by JT Wolfen and defended almost exclusively in Wolfen's home territory of Hawa'ii.

If TNA is going to introduce a new singles title, why not sort of a North American title?  It would be something for the non-X-Division midcarders to fight for.

The NWA North American Title is held by JT Wolfen and defended almost exclusively in Wolfen's home territory of Hawa'ii.

And I bet Wolfen has loved cock since picking up the title.

If you check out the online Impact area, take a moment to vote in the current poll which asks “If TNA were to introduce a new title, it should be…” Thus far, voting has been almost neck-and-neck between a Hardcore or Television Title.

I hope this means that they are seriously considering adding a mid-card title. They've needed one for awhile, but they need it now more than ever that there's the group of guys getting feed to Jarrett and everybody else. They could have a tournament on Impact with the finals on the PPV.

Why are people wanting a hardcore title. i don't get it.

Why are people wanting a hardcore title. i don't get it.

I don't get it either. There aren't enough guys in TNA who would be viable contenders for it. Maybe in 2003 when they had the Extreme Revolution going, but now, I think they'd be much better served with a Television or North American title.

Am I the only one who remembers that awful never ending Hardcore Cup tournament they did in 03? Uggg, we don't need that again...

Am I the only one who remembers that awful never ending Hardcore Cup tournament they did in 03? Uggg, we don't need that again...

the hard 10? with the points system.

very gay.

They would benefit most from a normal midcard title. I don't like any of the choices. TV title is the best. I think they should call it the National title. One step below the world title.

Oh god! I forgot about the point distribution rules, I had washed it's awfulness from my memory...

Oh god! I forgot about the point distribution rules, I had washed it's awfulness from my memory...

one of the worst ideas in wrestling ever.