TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Red Baron

KaZaA Lite no more?

Lately the past few days, I've had a hard time finding simple songs or even more recent songs on the file network. I've even typed up Metallica, and can only get 12 files.

I've found it useless for a couple years now. all of a sudden the song selection got shittier and shittier. plus all the corrupt songs.

I suggest limewire...pretty much like kazaa in it's hay day.

I haven't had any problems with it lately. Anyway, Lite is still out there in some form. Not the original version, of course, since they were sued by Kazaa and development had to stop, but the Kazaa Lite Resurrection variation is around and is probably the best option. The problem with any of the Lite programs is finding a legit link since there are so many scam sites with the Lite name attached to it, and of course just how bad FastTrack has gotten.

That said, though, there are much better options these days. Download Soulseek, Shareaza, or LimeWire (which I'm not a fan of, but others like it). Hell, you don't even need LimeWire since Shareaza can connect to their network.

I can't speak for Ares since I've never used it, but now that you mention it, I think I'll give it a go. All I know is that Shareaza is the shit. It connects to eDonkey's network, Gnutella (which serves LimeWire, Bearshare and a few others), its own Gnutella 2, and is capable enough as a BitTorrent client. That and Soulseek are my dreaded 1-2 combo, with WinMX and KL Resurrection as my current backups.

Guest T®ITEC

WinMX isn't too bad if you can find a good connection, but the selection... well, you could certainly do better.

I stopped using Kazaa about 3 years ago. TOO MANY corrupt songs, and I didn't bother using it for anything else. I went to Shareaza, stopped using that, I couldn't download ANYTHING with WinMX. I have Limewire Pro, and it has worked WONDERS for me.

Ares is the only program to work at my school because we have a stupid ass firewall.

But at home, I use Limewire with no problems.

Anyone get spyware with Limewire??? I got some recently for the first time in many months. I think it could be from limewire.

LimeWire used to be bundled with whatever-ware, but that was years ago. It's supposed to be clean now. You sure it's not from something else?

Anyway, I'd like LimeWire more if it weren't written in that awful Java shit. I find it way too slow, bloated and unnecessarily 'pretty.' It just comes across as a resource hog.

After giving the Ares Lite version a go, it's merely okay. Sometimes actually connecting and getting a download started seems 50/50. Less chances of rotten files due to the smaller, more intimate network, but of course, less files period. You can't have multiple searches going on and overall there's not much that warrants keeping it around with still better options out there.

Well I'm not sure that it came from LimeWire, but it just appeared when my girl left the limewire running in the system tray for a few hours. Usually I get a song and close it right away, so thats why i think it came from the limewire.

Why the hell are people still using the Kazaa/Morpheus/FastTrak networks.

It's been as dead as Napster 1 for ages now.

Uh - right now Kazaa Lite Resurrection has over 3 million users on my node and they're sharing 668,117,458 files.

I wouldn't consider that "dead".

About 2 years ago K++ was said to be "shut down" for legal reasons, when in fact the developers were just forced not to make any new versions of the program.

So other developers kept updating the program and started releasing it as "Kazaa Lite Resurrection".

The network never went anywhere.

The network never went anywhere, but it's bloated with RIAA IP loggers and computers uploading false files. Even connecting to the wrong person in a big batch while downloading can mess up your file. And since most the general idiot population does this and doesn't listen to the massive collection of music they're downloading, many of them are sharing bad files and don't know it.

It's just all fucked up beyond belief.