TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
franchise632

A-Rod HR Pace

A Rod hit his record tying 389th homer last night which ties him with Ken Griffey Jr for the most homers by a player before 30. He has 53 games game before his birthday and is on pace to hit 412 before his 30th. Just amazing.

Aside from a major injury I have no doubt that A Rod will play til he is 40. That would almost make him a lock to break the all time record. It is pretty safe to say that it would be record over taken by someone who is legit unlike Balco Barry.

I think it is pretty safe to call A Rod the greatest player in todays game. As well as the greatest player of all time under 30 years old. I wanted to hate him after leaving my beloved Mariners after watching him break in with the club. Retrospectivly I can't blame him for taking the huge contract. I am proud to have seen him come up and while I hate the Yankees I am behind A Rod.

Discuss

I guess it isnt that I dont think Barry is legit, but it wouldnt be shrouded in controversey if A Rod were to break it. No matter what you are on it still takes tremedous skill to hit the ball out fo the ball park. I think it will be great for baseball for ARod to hit 50+ homers this year.

Anything before the steroid policy was in effect should be legit, and until he fails a test then Barry's should be legit.

The problem I have is that Selig has gone on record saying that even if a player is found to be taking steroids, that any records he sets will stay.

Aside from a major injury I have no doubt that A Rod will play til he is 40.

I'm sure people thought that Jim Brown or Barry Sanders would play football forever. Or that Bjorn Borg would play tennis forever. Or that Brock Lesnar would wrestle forever.

I think that an athlete is one bad experience away from retirement ... something like the Kobe-scandal or a big fight with a teammate/coach/ownership or just something that makes them say, "fuck it, I have more than enough money in the bank, I'm done with this bullshit."

Having said that, though, I wouldn't be surprised to see ARod play for a long ass time and join the upper echelon of career home runs ... 755? Maybe, maybe not. But 600+, yeah, most likely.

I still consider Barry's HR's legit.
But a lot of people don't ... baseball will need to pick a side of the argument and stick with it. And whichever one they choose will piss half the people off.

Anything before the steroid policy was in effect should be legit, and until he fails a test then Barry's should be legit. 

You don't really think that he's dumb enough to fail a test NOW do you? Seriously he's had plenty of time to heal his knee while his body rids itself of the steroids that he was on. Flaxseed oil indeed.

On a list of players that I would be willing to bet on whos name would not come up on a list of those who tested postive for juice ARod would be right at the top of the list. He has gradually gotten bigger as one is apt to do with hard work and getting older. He didnt just show up one day with an extra 20 or 30 lbs of extra muscle after an off season *cough* bret boone *boone*

If ARods name came up as a positive test it would pretty much be the biggest suprise ever to me. Then again they usually are.

You don't really think that he's dumb enough to fail a test NOW do you? Seriously he's had plenty of time to heal his knee while his body rids itself of the steroids that he was on. Flaxseed oil indeed.

No I don't. When he comes back and isn't as big, or doesn't crush the ball; it's because he couldn't work out while injured, being off the juice has nothing to do with it. ;)

He is Bonds though, he thinks he mr. baseball and could still be taking them figuring that he won't be tested or will be protected by the comish's office yet again.

Guest Brian
On a list of players that I would be willing to bet on whos name would not come up on a list of those who tested postive for juice ARod would be right at the top of the list. He has gradually gotten bigger as one is apt to do with hard work and getting older. He didnt just show up one day with an extra 20 or 30 lbs of extra muscle after an off season *cough* bret boone *boone*

If ARods name came up as a positive test it would pretty much be the biggest suprise ever to me. Then again they usually are.

They'd never sacrifice a big name star.

And you have to remember that steroid have far greaters effects than just putting on pounds of muscle.

A Rod hit his record tying 389th homer last night which ties him with Ken Griffey Jr for the most homers by a player before 30. He has 53 games game before his birthday and is on pace to hit 412 before his 30th. Just amazing.

Aside from a major injury I have no doubt that A Rod will play til he is 40. That would almost make him a lock to break the all time record. It is pretty safe to say that it would be record over taken by someone who is legit unlike Balco Barry.

I think it is pretty safe to call A Rod the greatest player in todays game. As well as the greatest player of all time under 30 years old. I wanted to hate him after leaving my beloved Mariners after watching him break in with the club. Retrospectivly I can't blame him for taking the huge contract. I am proud to have seen him come up and while I hate the Yankees I am behind A Rod.

Discuss

First off, you can never assume a player will last until the age of 40. A-Rod is likely to age well, but you never know. Heck, look at Junior Griffey. Or even Barry Bonds. Mark McGwire. Juan Gonzalez. In my short time, I have seen about a dozen players who were bound to challenge baseball's sacred records, but fell short. A-Rod has 398 home runs right now at the age of 29. That is incredibly impressive. He still has 357 home runs to go. Think about that for a moment. That is eight years of hitting 45 home runs a season every single year. The aging monster will start to challenge A-Rod in about two years. At that point, he begins a slow fight with father time to challenge Hank Aaron.

This is not to downplay Rodriguez. I have been one of his biggest supporter's on this board, and he has the best shot of any player to break Aaron's record, including Bonds. But that record is impressive for a reason.

I couldnt agree with you more Al. However I feel with the way he plays and the way he is built and the highly level that he takes care of himself that, as I said, unless he gets a career shortening injury and his desire to play stays high then he is the one most likely to challenge the record. That is the thing that has really slowed the players that you listed. Junior was on pace to challenge the record but has just had bad break after bad break.

That's what makes Aaron's record so intriguing. He never really had that many jaw dropping seasons, he was just steady and consistent.

Bear in mind with Ruth though that he spent his early career as a pitcher, though back in the old days maybe guys could pitch and also played a field position between starts.