TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Shanghai Kid

Converting AVI/MPEG to DVD

In a semi-related topic, is there a program that can take the sound from a movei file (asf, avi, mpg, mpeg) and convert it to mp3?

Are there any good programs for doing that in reverse? Converting DVD to .avi? They don't have to be free.

Win Avi Converter

Although, there is this program called Ashampoo shrink and burn 2 that does that plus you can pick what size you want the output to be. I use it to put movies on my cellphone.

Any good compression software? Right now, I've been trying to puzzle through InterVideo WinDVD Creator, and it not only leaves files way too big (I can't do anything with a 4GB .avi), but it cut off a good two minutes of the file I was trying to convert.

In a semi-related topic, is there a program that can take the sound from a movei file (asf, avi, mpg, mpeg) and convert it to mp3?

I'm pretty sure window's movie maker can do that. When you burn with NERO it says that you can put a movie in there and it will just take the sound. I've never tried it though.

Are there any good programs for doing that in reverse? Converting DVD to .avi? They don't have to be free.

Jobber's method:

Download a program called GordianKnot (do a Google, it's hosted on SourceForge.) Get the "rip pack." It includes a program called DVD Decrypter.

Open DVD Decrypter.

Use IFO mode, select the file with the long running time and the chapters you want to rip (if you'll do TV shows, which is why I say this, in the case of a movie, it's likely all tracks.)

Rip those chapters to any special folder for them.

Download a program called DGIndex (or it might be included, I forgot)

Use that program to open the first available file listed in that folder the rest (if any) should appear in a dialog box. Push OK.

If the video is film, look for a video option called Force FILM and use that. If it's interlaced video (TV), don't check that

In Audio, check Demux All Tracks.

In File, save project, call it something like index. It'll save a big AC3 audio file

Open BeSweetGUI, another app that comes with GordianKnot.

For input, select your AC3 file. For output, set an MP3. In the profile box to the right, chose MP3 for AVI.

If your AC3's title has something like "DELAY 6ms" then you'll have to check the Delay box and enter that in too. Delays could be positive or negative numbers, but if it's 0ms then no need to worry.

Click AC3 to MP3 and let it convert.

Open GordianKnot. Open that Index file you made earlier with it. A window will open previewing your video, back on the main window, select your MP3 in the audio box, select Divx or XVid in the upper right and then set a target file size below it. Of course, the bigger the file, the better looking the video. I use 170MB target for 20 minute programs, myself. Remember this final file size will include the size of your audio file.

Under the Resolution tab, you can resize your video or eliminate any black bars if you want.

Back on the window with the video preview, choose save & encode. You'll get an options window. if you chose to resize your box, use Neutral Bicubic for the resize option in the upper right corner. Below that is deinterlace. If your video is interlaced (again, TV source) then I like to use TomsMoComp.

Save, give it a name, then sit back as it uses VirtualDubMod a few times to do two passes then attatch the audio file.

Look for a program called Nandub. You can open up a video file and then from File, choose Save WAV. From there, you can use whatever program you like to convert the gigantic WAV to a smaller MP3.