TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewTS

Guitar Hero.

Link: http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/puzzle/guitarh...ew_6126444.html

Guitar Hero E3 2005 Hands-On Impressions

After hearing murmurs on message boards about a unique new music game from Harmonix--the developer responsible for Frequency and its sequel Amplitude, as well the highly successful Karaoke Revolution series--being shown at E3 2005, we ventured down into the depths of Kentia Hall. There, in a small meeting room near the back of the hall, we found ourselves in the close company of Harmonix and RedOctane reps, who were there to show off Guitar Hero and a new guitar-shaped PS2 controller, respectively. Though both products were still far from being finished, the promise for something special--and extremely rocking--was quite apparent.

At first sight of a music game that uses a special guitar controller, our brains made a mad dash toward fond memories of Konami's highly enjoyable Guitar Freaks series, of which Guitar Hero is quite obviously a derivative. The Harmonix reps were quick to acknowledge the similarities, but it was just as apparent to us that this title is unique in several significant ways--not the least of which is the fact that, unlike Guitar Freaks, Guitar Hero will be getting a proper US release.

Currently, the game uses an interface that appears to be stitched together from pieces of both Amplitude and Karaoke Revolution. You're shown what buttons to press--and when--by a scrolling bar at the bottom of the screen, while the upper half of the screen is dominated by your avatar rocking hard in front of screaming fans. The main game interface isn't much to look at right now, though we definitely liked the whole high school doodle look of the game's front end, complete with small jabs at the PMRC. From the look of it, if Guitar Hero could wear a jean jacket, it would.

As is the case with most rhythm games, Guitar Hero is more concerned with being heard than seen. The E3 demo that Harmonix cooked up featured only six tracks, but they were all real keepers. At the top of the list was Boston's "More Than a Feeling," followed by Jimi Hendrix's "Spanish Castle Magic," Megadeth's "Symphony of Destruction," ZZ Top's "Sharp-Dressed Man," Red Hot Chili Peppers' "Higher Ground," and The Donnas' "Set It Off." Though none of these songs were performed by the original artists, the sound-a-like hired guns that Harmonix brought in were doing a commendable job of nailing the overall production sound of the original songs. It was just a taste of the roughly 30 songs that Harmonix is promising for the retail version of the game, and we definitely found the overall tone it set to be quite agreeable--and, of course, extremely rocking. The final playlist isn't set, but we're keeping our fingers crossed for plenty of Journey, Foreigner, Styx, and perhaps a song or two featuring the fiery fretwork of a certain Sir Edward Van Halen.

RedOctane had a working prototype of the guitar controller it is building especially for Guitar Hero on hand, and already it seemed responsive and quite sturdy, though from the chipped paint and the missing features, we could tell it still had a ways to go before it would be ready for store shelves. Like the Guitar Freaks controllers, buttons on the neck of the guitar correspond to onscreen cues that are triggered by moving a wide, flat level, located where you would normally be strumming. But rather than having just three buttons on the neck, RedOctane's guitar controller has five buttons, which allows for more complex patterns and takes the game's challenge level through the roof. We found the easy setting to be manageable, but once we had to start using our pinky finger to hold down buttons in the medium difficulty setting, we were dead in the water. When we did find our groove, though, the game gave a strong feeling of actually playing guitar--much closer to the real thing than any of the Guitar Freaks games--and the desire to put our foot up on a stage monitor and just rock out was tangible. The game was challenging, but it was a challenge that we're definitely looking forward to taking on again.

Aside from what we were actually shown of the game, it sounds like RedOctane and Harmonix both have some heady plans for Guitar Hero. More music is being secured, as well as other relevant licenses. RedOctane is working on adding a working whammy bar to the controller, and in an even bolder move, a mercury sensor that would add some crazy reverb effects when you moved the guitar around, encouraging some rock-god stage antics.

After our half hour visit with RedOctane and Harmonix, we came away feeling like Guitar Hero is going to rock, hard. We're eager to see what other songs will be included in the final product, and if RedOctane is able to deliver some of the headier features it is working on. GameSpot will most definitely have more on this totally sweet rhythm game.

By Ryan Davis, GameSpot  POSTED: 05/24/05 06:14 PM

Renegade mentioned his doubts about the controller, saying that the previous controllers RedOctane made weren't very good, but apparently they're making a new and improved one just for the game, so we shall see.

Surprised it took so long for a game like this to be in the works for the States. This appeals to appeal the US market more than prancing around like a fruit on a DDR pad. :headbang:

I'd been waiting for Konami to stop wussing out and give me a domestic GuitarFreaks release, so Harmonix's version of the game has perked my ears.

A guitar freaks game with an all english song list will be awesome. I need something to play since Konami refused to release anything past 4th mix.

Also yeah the RedOctane Guitar freaks controllers are total ass, but seing as they are going to be making the official guitar for this game it might be playable.

I know many don't like buying on eBay, so if that isn't your thing just ignore this. If you do take the eBay dive like me, read on.

Here is a great deal for Guitar Hero w/controller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/GUITAR-HERO-W-GUITAR-P...itemZ8236932989

Use the following code to get 10% off (when paying using PayPal, you'll see options where you can put in the code):

C1-Holiday2005

The code works on all eBay purchases by the way.

The final total total ends up being $66.84, and there are only two still up for grabs. I bought one, and two other people jumped on it really quick. I just thought I'd share it with you guys really quick.

If you guys haven't heard the songs yet, go here:

http://www.guitarherogame.com/music.asp

Most of them sound really good, and I'm sure once you start playing the game you are so into it that even the ones you don't think sound that great are perfectly fine.

And here is a trailer for it, and it shows people actually playing the game:

http://www.guitarherogame.com/trailer.asp

I played my friend copy and it's really fun.

Playing Konami's Guitar Freaks for ages now, I can beat most of the normal songs and some of the hard songs with little trouble. But, man, that fifth button kicks my ass, especially trying to hit the fifth button and immediately going to a chord involving the first button.

We set up a demo up in the store and I must admit it's a really fun game. It kills time and most of the songs actually sound true to the real thing. I say its a must try game.

Well, one of the videos on IGN shows two guys giving a run at "Iron Man". I don't know if I like that much aerobic exercise in my video games. I might crash through the ceiling to the first floor with all the jumping I'm liable to do with some of the songs.

The song list seems pretty good, but man some of those songs look brutal unless you've got nerves of steel and te dexterity of a magician. "Thunderkiss 65" "Ace of Spades" the beginning to "Bark at the Moon" all seem pretty brutal. Probably going to be one of those games I watch friends play and are thankful no one watches me embarrass myself at it.

I figured I was the only on here interested in this game. I love music and music games, and I play the guitar, so naturally this is something I want. I'm just not sure I want to pay $70 for it.

You can pick this up at Best Buy (I believe it is) for around $55 right now, so if you are interested in this at all, run out and pick it up. I finally got mine in the mail the other day, and I am loving it. This is easily my favorite game of the year, in terms of playability, and in my top three of games overall.

This is a must own for all PS2 music lovers.

Every place but Best Buy sells this for $79.99. :( It's been sold out everywhere for a long while, though, so I am biting the bullet and am about to head to Gamestop after the football game (they actually have it) and pay $85 or so for a copy.

You can buy this at Target for $59.99, so keep that in mind (and go buy it damnit). My cousin picked it up at the Anderson, SC store Friday night.

NOTE:

The game was not over with the other PS2 stuff, or with any of the other video game stuff either for that matter. All six were on a shelf, two rows of three. They were on the other side of a shelf that had the Atari systems on it, in the same section with the CD players and all of that.

If you don't see this game right with the video games, then keep looking around the electronics department. We almost left before we found them.

Matt, I tried to PM you, but it says that either your box is full or you have PMs turned off.

Guest Evolution

Got this at Target for the aforementioned price, and am hitting a roadblock in the fifth venue (with "No One Knows", among others). I'm just going to have to master the hammer-on and pull-off techniques if I'm going to conquer those songs, me thinks. Fourth venue was hard enough.

It's not even on Target's website, nor did my Target even carry the game, period, so it appears to be a very "YMMV" (your mileage may vary) deal.

I have only played 4 songs so far since my fiancee has been here since early afternoon, but I seriously love this game more than I ever thought possible.

Oh, and thanks to you DH, but yes, my box was full. I wouldn't have been able to get it at my Target anyway, as I said.

Guest Coffey

It's fun but Bark at the Moon is freakin' impossible. Hell, it's really hard even on medium.

I have no musical talent but the lack of 360 releases since launch is REEEEEEEALLY pushing me towards getting this. Any more impressions from anyone? I'm a guitar newbie but I'm assuming "easy" difficulty would make the game somewhat more playable until I get accustomed to the controller.

Guest Evolution

If you play even a couple of songs on medium, easy will be too easy for you. You don't really come close to getting the experience on easy, as playing the three fret buttons just makes it incredibly easy. I would just play on medium and roll with the punches if things get a little hard on you.

Advice: Go through the advanced tutorial about hammer-ons and pull-offs a few times. They're pretty much necessary for alot of the songs above normal unless you've got a really quick strumming hand. Once you get the hang of it though, it helps alot.

I quickly went through the basic tutorial before jumping into Easy mode, but I didn't know about hammer-ons and pull-offs. That's cool that they're included.

As a guitarist, I appreciate this game's little nuances... but my favorite has nothing to do with me being a musician. Did anyone notice that, in a lovely nod to Spinal Tap, the numbers on the amps shown go to 11? Fucking awesome.

Yes, you must appreciate the Spinal Tap nod.

I'm starting to get annoyed that my guitarist keeps doing the "smash the guitar into the ground" routine at the end of Killer Queen and seemingly nothing else. It's such an awkward way to end the song.

This game is a game that anyone can pick up and play. Every person I have shown this game loves it, or has bought it.

Right now, I am trying to master hard, as medium has gotten TOO EASY now. I have beat maybe one or two songs on Expert. Man, hammers on and stuff like that and strumming with BOTH sides is gonna be needed, and mastered before you can jump onto Hard Mode.

Guest Evolution

So my roommate is not only a rising independent wrestling star, but apparently pretty fluent in Guitar Hero. He's holding his own in Hard mode, while I stumble through it. He's having trouble with tricky solo tracks, though.

Guest Evolution

Beat the game on medium today, Bark at the Moon was a bitch because I misused my star power towards the second solo, but I got it on the second go around with my meter in the red. The whole last level is lots of fun, even though I'm not a big fan of "Cowboys From Hell".

Really digging the Graveyard BBQ song, I can see why they won the contest.

While tooling around the gamefaqs message board for Guitar Hero, found a guy who seems to be pretty good at it (heavy sarcasm included). Here's a link to his "Bark At the Moon" on Hard difficulty, but it has links to some of his other performances.

Beat bark at the moon on hard today. I was on the LAST MEASURE of Cowboys From Hell, which is monstrous on hard.

My friend in LA has beaten every song (not the bonus ones) on extreme. He says Frankenstein was the toughest for him. I love Frankenstein.

I'll say that in some ways, Frequency is a much harder game than this. It's a lot more stringent though.

Nope, no Malmsteen in this one.

Frankenstein and the SRV songs on extreme are the toughest I've tried to play (on free play.) In career mode I'm on the 3rd tier of extreme songs.