TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewTS

Guitar Hero.

I haven't failed a song yet but I can rarely get over 3 stars on medium. It's killing me. When I have to get my fingers going really fast then I just get lost and they end up in the wrong place. And for some reason I cannot go from blue to red at all. I always end up pushing down yellow after blue.

I fear Hard because I know I can't do a hammer on or pull off to save my life.

Guest Evolution

All you need is fast hands to get past Hard. Expert is where hammer-ons and pull-offs become a necessary lesson to learn.

Let me reiterate: Hammer-ons are easy, pull-offs are less easy, but still OK.

It's the rapid single notes that kill me.

I think strumming up and down will help with those fast single notes.

Practice, practice, practice. Its the only way you can master the techniques. Its what practice mode is for.

My problem is, just like with the real instrument, I am too much of a perfectionist and I get frustrated quickly.

Alternate picking is necessary to get past Medium level. Each progressive level focuses on a particular technique.

I just realized we're all fucked. They announced Van Halen for the next Guitar Hero.

We're getting the 6 minute "Eruption" a track I would be hard pressed to play on the piano. And I'm a skilled pianist, capable of playing an almost note perfect "Flight of the Bumblebee", and the 12 variations.

"12 Variations" I can play note-perfect off of my piano teacher's notes. This includes such gems as (Pointing to a passage "Bitch") and (pointing to another "almost impossible). This is the voted-best blues pianist in Washington State.

They're putting in "Eruption", we're all going to die.

(Note: This seems like I'm reporting they're putting in "Eruption". They haven't even alluded to anouncing it, but having never heard it, I think they might put it in.)

With the announcement of Van Halen, who knows what other good tracks are gonna be in the game.

I am trying to think of other songs that are Fret burners, like Cowboys from Hell, which I manage to NEVER get past about 6 seconds in....

Thank God. The Kink's version is better.

And 'You really got Me' follows Eruption, does it not? I for sure thought they would have eruption. Anyone who has played Harmonix games knows they're bastards.

That would be a hidden/bonus track at best. There is no way that those who are not completely devoted to mastering the game could tackle Eruption. How in the hell are you going to emulate the tapping sections?

No way, says I.

I saw that game for the first time two weeks ago at my town's EB. I was always interested in it but it costed way too much on ebay. So, despite the hefty price tag, I decided to buy it.

I haven't had this fun playing a video game with friends since Goldeneye, that game is so awesome. It's hard to get used to it in the beginning though, especially alterning notes with your ring and pinky finger. I'm playing on medium and have unlocked the third set of songs. I tried to play on hard right at the beginning but it kicked my ass way too hard. I'll play it when I will have mastered medium difficulty.

A question : is there any keytars that you can buy in this game ? I bought the double-necked guitar for my character, but a keytar would be so much cooler.

Officially confirmed songs for GH2

Arterial Black - Drist (original track [bonus song])

John The Fisherman - Primus (original track)

Psychobilly Freakout - The Reverend Horton Heat

Strutter - KISS

War Pigs - Black Sabbath

Who Was in My Room Last Night - The Butthole Surfers

You Really Got Me - The Kinks, as performed by Van Halen

YYZ - Rush

There's already some video footage for these songs floating around, though whoever they had playing them were pretty bad

Looks good so far. Hopefully they stick in some more metal this time, but I'd also like to see some more blues and acoustical stuff too. Also, no more shit like Incubus or The Donnas.

Oh yeah, I still want them to stick in something like "Cliffs of Dover". While not on "Eruption" level of insanity, it would still be a scary song for the game.

Yeah I watched the videos on IGN and one of the players was OK but the other one was really bad.

The original at Best Buy was down to $70 and I almost broke down and got it. If I had a job I would've. Maybe next week.

Any idea what the sequel will do as far as the guitar controller? Same one? Better one? Game sold by itself?

I've actually yet to pick this game up yet, and I'm filled with shame. However, there's something undeniably awesome about, how after I handed off the guitar to a 8-ish year old kid waiting behind me, he bushed out a damn-near perfect version of Iron Man. Rock on, little dude.

Halfway through I provided my own Ozzy impression.

With War Pigs it's going to be impossible to resist now.

Great to see Primus and Reverand there. Where the hell is the Maiden, though?

Which Maiden song though? So many good options to choose from. I suppose I'd run with either "Two Minutes to Midnight" or "Aces High"

If they do a Metallica song, the only older song I could see working is "For Whom the Bell Tolls" since most of their other older notable stuff is in the 7-8 minute mark and I already think they're nuts for including "War Pigs". Unfortunately if they do put in a Metallica song I could see them taking the easy way out and running with "Enter Sandman" (bleh)

Some other songs I'd like to see:

Satriani - "Flying in a Blue Dream" or "Always With Me, Always With You"

Dio - "Holy Diver"

Megadeth - "Peace Sells" (though the opening solo would be a bitch" or "Hangar 18" (same for the end solo here)

Slayer - "Raining Blood" (though the opening has a long series of insane pull-offs) or "South of Heaven" (provided lyrics aren't going to be an issue)

Poison - "Talk Dirty to Me" (yes, a hair metal song, but I think it would work)

An acoustic song(s)

A blues song(s)

That's what I can think of offhand

What are hammer-ons and pull-offs?

A hammer-on is when you have your finger on one note and strum it, and then press down on a higher note (usually no greater than 3 or 4 frets higher on the same string) and push down on it with another finger. You get the two notes with the one strum, which can build up the speed of what you are playing. Most metal and 80's hair band solo's are based off of hammer-on's and two-finger tapping (which are based on hammer-on's), and the main melody to Iron Maiden's classic "Hallowed be thy Name" is filled with hammer-on's.

A pull-off is, essentially, the exact opposite. Rather than starting off at a lower note and then hitting a higher note without strumming, you start at a higher note with one finger (usually either the middle or ring) and then quickly pull off as you slam another finger (usually the index) down on a lower note. It gives the same feeling as a pull-off, but backwards.

And "Raining Blood" has a shitload of hammer-on's and pull-off's in it's intro? Hrmmm...I've never seen a single tab for it with hammer-on's and pull-off's outside of the riff beneath the lyrics "pierced from below, a soul from a treacherous past."

That all sounds good.

Holy shit, they're doing "Raining Blood"? I think I could play that song. Only because I've heard it a million times.

"Eruption" was really sort of a wet dream. As I mentioned before Harmonix pulls some crazy tracks. The super-ultra secret track opf frequency has a synth track that defies explanation. It's fucking impossible.

I meant HO/PO in the context of the game (which I'm guessing you haven't played), which is slightly different from an actual HO/PO on a real guitar. A lot of songs in the game don't have HO/PO if you were to play on a real guitar, but they do in the game, especially in the fast sections.

The third section of "Raining Blood" (after the famous opening riff and the second section which is played mostly on the open low Eb) would have insane (game) pull offs. That's the only way you could do it.

Man, that, some Sepultura, I'd be in heaven.

Of course my favorite band is SY, but they would be pretty impossible to duplicate on GH, outside of maybe Kool Thing.

If they somehow duplicated Diamond Sea or Rain on Tin I'd be having an orgasm, but it's really not doable.

The tracks I have yet to beat are Cowboys from Hell and Frankenstein on expert. Funny that Frankenstien is one of my favorite tracks, but it's bloody difficult on expert. There's just something hilarious about jamming on a fake guitar trying to mimmick insane organ riffs. I hope those are organs. I Could annihilate that jam on a piano.

I've seen the hidden tracks for Guitar Hero. The title is "Trippolette" by what I believe is one of the studio composers. Just based upon the videos on youtube, this song will have anyone tearing their hair out by the fistfulls. After about 20 seconds everything basically goes to hell. The closest comparison I can come up with is Ready to Rokk (the techno song by Freezepop).

the bonus tracks in GH1 have some gems.

I love the titular track for it's cheesiness. It talks about rocking the star power.

Sail your Ship goes from a Tool mimmickry to prog rock wanky bliss.

Let's face it: GH makes cheese fun.

"More than a feeling." That is a stupid fucking dumbass song. Yet when you're playing multiplayer, you get full star power every time before its cheese-ass chorus. And you tilt that guitar in synch with your friend, and it's fried gold.

Best of the hidden track from GH1, I'll take "Decontrol" by Drist. It's made me a fanboy for that band.

As for the sequel, I'll take "Angel of Death" over "Raining Blood", just for the dueling solos in multiplayer. I could also see "Peace Sells" just for the base play in multiplayer.

I'll also be surprised if "Eruption" isn't a boss song in some way or form.

"More than a feeling." That is a stupid fucking dumbass song. Yet when you're playing multiplayer, you get full star power every time before its cheese-ass chorus. And you tilt that guitar in synch with your friend, and it's fried gold.

HEATHEN! How dare you not appreciate Boston's genius!

OK, it's the only song of theirs I like, but still. This game was made for the cheesy "epic" 70's rock.

"Decontrol" seems pretty damn hard. Lots of quick riff work and the solo is pretty brutal. Lots of scale work.

"Even Rats" is good for a nice mellow play through. Nothing too hard, and not very fast either.

Overall, "Cheat on the Church" and "Cavemen Rejoice" might be my 2 favorite lesser known tracks.

Arterial Black - Drist (original track [bonus song])

Psychobilly Freakout - The Reverend Horton Heat

Strutter - KISS

War Pigs - Black Sabbath

Who Was in My Room Last Night - The Butthole Surfers

You Really Got Me - The Kinks, as performed by Van Halen

YYZ - Rush

Three more songs announced

"Madhouse" - Anthrax

"Shout at the Devil" - Motley Crue

"Trippin' on a Hole in a Paper Heart" - Stone Temple Pilots

Good band choices, although those would not be my first song choices for them (especially for STP. "Vasoline" would have worked so much better)

Word is that the complete song list has been selected, but they're not going to reveal it anytime soon

Jerry was a racecar driver or Tommy the cat would have been better choices. Just cause i love the songs.

"Madhouse" - Anthrax

Good choice, but i do love Among the living.

Dio - "Holy Diver"

Oh god yes please. That or last in line, id be happy with either one.