TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
zyn081

Who will be the 5th man?

I was thinking of a way to turn the folder back onto the topic of wrestling. So I thought Id write my views on who the 5th man in KotM will be. Ive kept it to those who are not yet on the Slam card (since I think that Roode and Killings could have been in with a shout).

(1) RAVEN: The most deserving candidate out of all. Has been in relatively good matches for the past 3 years, putting his body on the line. His sadistic behaviour in the ring fits in well with the brutality of KotM. Just watch the first one. However, he is currently suspened and IMHO I think that this is for the best. Its an excuse to leave him out of this match. If he were to be put in, it would be pimped to the extent that Raven will do anything to win. Hes a heel which leaves AJ stranded. They seem to be building up to the Destiny angle again. I dont think TNA would rush 2 title changes. Therefore, it makes more sense to leave him so as that he takes even more drastic action. KotM has served a purpose for Raven, its got him focused on the TNA title again.

(2) SEAN WALTMAN: IMO the worst guy they can go with, but most probably the guy TNA will pick after Raven. He has been someway or another remotely connected to the ME for a while and has beef with JJ, so that would even things up a bit, since the match at the moment is 3 heels (with Brown still being a heel as per the book) and AJ. Hasnt really done anything in substance to deserve a title shot. Could, and this is a big could, perform reasonably well given the speed and loseness of the match. Dont hold your breath though.

(3) JEFF HARDY. The person TNA should in fact go with. Hes been wrestling the big boys in the form of JJ, Abyss, Raven and AJ since hes come to TNA. Hasnt been overwhelmingly spectacular, but hasnt been alarmingly bad either. Is the one out of the candidates who has been closest to the TNA title for the past few months. Can bust a move in big matches, especially thos with a gimmick. This means that KotM is right up his street, based offs his specialities of TLC and Ladder matches. Has been more of a naughty boy than Raven (i.e. off camera too) and this could result in him losing his spot in the KotM. His type of match and would add name value of sorts.

(4) SONNY SIAKI. I know, I know. WTF. And there isnt enough time for them to book something similar along the lines that I am going to suggest, but I will run it by you nonetheless. Is the most effected by them not having TV time and is the least deserving of my 5 nominees. He isnt in TNA's thoughts by a long shot. But it could have been so different if TNA had seized an oppourtunity (which they dont normally do). That oppourtunity is based on 2 words. Chris Candido. Siaki is torn up about what happened, blames himself, somebody convinces him that its not his fault (and no, not Snitsky), Siaki vows to do his best to honour the spirit of Candido by risking his body on the line to reach the top, i.e. become KotM. He dedicates it all to Candido. An emotional candidate of sorts, who bypasses the back story by way of the sympathy connection hed have with the fans.

(5) JERRY LYNN: Hes backs people. We know for a fact that he can perform to very high standards. Knows the combatants well, especially AJ and JJ to a slightly lesser extent. Is hyped for it. But is it a matter of too little too late. This isnt the most ideal time for him to subject a barely healed body to the torture that is KotM. How can you explain his inclusion. Is a fan favourite in TNA though, so you cant really rule him out. Hes a face and the crowd will go apeshit when they see him. I dont think the title will change hands at Slam, so if hes up for it, he is the least threating candidate I would say, given the circumstances of his return.

Well, there you have it folks. The people I think who should be considered. I would hope that its Hardy, but if TNA are still peeved with him, it will either be Waltman or Raven (flushing things down the toilet on both counts, i.e. the match itself and a great story respectively). Depends very much on the shape Lynn is in.

I dont know why they didnt make this match a deadly draw match. Made more sense given 4 participants. Have AJ start as the fighting champ that he is. JJ comes out last. At 1 point AJ will be facing Abyss, Brown and JJ. Brown is 2nd or 3rd, depending on whether it will based on Brown being tired and JJ having a go at him or fresher and JJ tries to make him do his dirty work. Brown turns on JJ. AJ and Abyss brawl. AJ pins and eliminates Abyss (although it would be nice fo Abyss to beat AJ at least one, but now is not that time) with Brown doing the same to JJ. AJ then pins Brown cheaply, turning Brown more towards facedom and sets up a future title shot.

Alas, TNA dont think things through. Like the wasting of the concepts of Six Sides of Steel and Ultimate X. :(

That's some good thought into it. Aside from those you listed, who else isn't in a match on the show? Do you think that it's possible that they might make a match (maybe Gaunlet match) for who would get the fifth spot?

Hmm...Jerry Lynn would be an awesome wild card since he has that history with AJ. Sonny Siaki-I don't reallly see it. Jeff Hardy would be suitable, moreso than Waltman.

I always thought that TNA left money on the table by not inserting Lynn into the heavyweight division after AJ made it ok for the X guys to challenge for the World Title. Right after Jarrettt's heel turn, I think they would have been wise to run with him doing the owner/establishment character they hinted at and Jerry representing all the boys, culminating with him winning the big one in a moment sort of like him defeating Justin Credible for the ECW title. I'd still love to see him in the ME mix, but I don't think my idea would work as well now since the height of his TNA run came in Nashville. I could be wrong though. Inserting him would be about a good a surprise as TNA could pull off here, but I still thinking the "surprise" will be the predictable Waltman or Raven.

I'd like to see Raven get involved somehow, but not be the fifth man. I think that's what they're going to go with. Jerry Lynn needs to return and save the ME scene pronto, but I agree that this could be a bit rough on him for a return match. His return could be saved until the next PPV, I think. I feel kinda the same about Waltman and Hardy. Waltman's not bad if he's kept to a minimum, so I think he's better suited for getting others over rather than standing on his own in the ME. Hardy's decent, but he's better when Matt's there to hold him up. I guess those two aren't bad choices, so I could live with either as long as AJ retains and Jarrett doesn't obliterate everyone. At least we're not considering DDP or Nash for this match, so it could be worse.

P.S. Siaki could've been an excellent midcarder if they hadn't dropped the ball on him.

Siaki could've been an excellent midcarder if they hadn't dropped the ball on him.

I agree with this too. Siaki was over huge during his "ace in the hole" period, especially during the feud with D'Lo that followed D'Lo feud with AJ. TNA really elevated Siaki there, but totally dropped the ball afterward and followed it up with a lame face turn with him and Desire.

That's some good thought into it. Aside from those you listed, who else isn't in a match on the show? Do you think that it's possible that they might make a match (maybe Gaunlet match) for who would get the fifth spot?

Thanks alot. So far, people not on the card are:

A1

Apolo

Buck Quartermain

Cassidy Riley

David Young

Dustin Rhodes

Jerrelle Clark

Johnny Devine

Lex Lovett

Mikey Batts

Phi Delta Slam

Primetime

Shark Boy

Shocker

Sonjay Dutt

Trytan

Zack Gowen

(from the Superstars section of their website)

I cant see anybody cutting it or deserving it from there. They had a guantlet last month and didnt abide by the stipulation. Besides, if there was a guantlet for the 5th spot, they should have announced it the very beginning.

I still believe, given the closeness of the 4 people to the title, it should have been a Deadly Draw match. They could have stated that either Abyss or Brown would be in 2nd a week before. Then, at the start of the show draw the 3rd name, being the one not selected of Abyss and Brown. Just before the match, AJ and JJ draw for it, with AJ going in 1st and JJ grinning like a chesire cat. Last KotM was one of the best angles ever in TNA, what with the tourney, the road to the cage, the cage match, the deadly draw and the KotM. TNA managed (for once) to get everybody over and the fans considered them as legit contenders (even Harris for sake). Its just not the same this time. The buildup has been slower, rather than the explosion that was this time last year.

I'd like to see Raven get involved somehow, but not be the fifth man.  I think that's what they're going to go with.  Jerry Lynn needs to return and save the ME scene pronto, but I agree that this could be a bit rough on him for a return match.  His return could be saved until the next PPV, I think.  I feel kinda the same about Waltman and Hardy.  Waltman's not bad if he's kept to a minimum, so I think he's better suited for getting others over rather than standing on his own in the ME.  Hardy's decent, but he's better when Matt's there to hold him up.  I guess those two aren't bad choices, so I could live with either as long as AJ retains and Jarrett doesn't obliterate everyone.  At least we're not considering DDP or Nash for this match, so it could be worse.

P.S. Siaki could've been an excellent midcarder if they hadn't dropped the ball on him.

Siaki would have to be worked on, alot, to make it. A booker should always be on the look out to elevate people to the ME. I think that Siaki, if the story was worked well, due to how he was involved with Candido, could be quite close to the title. They should have built up that he was doing it for Candido as to get the sentimental vote (a la Naturals). Could have also go with Siaki vs Naturals too.

Nice to see me and Magus are on the same page. Ive just posted similar sentiments in another thread here about Raven due to:

- Despite his suspension, rumors have it that Raven still plans on attending Slammiversary on Sunday. TNAwrestling.com has learned that added security will be on hand at the arena in case Raven attempts to get in.

Source: www.tnawrestling.com

Thank god DDP and Nash are far, far away. I think its either going to be Waltman or Hardy. Too early for Lynn and Raven.

Out of those 2, who would anybody prefer? I would go for Hardy. He has more name value and has been competing in relatively biggish matches on TNA ppvs. Plus its his style of match.

Also, interestingly, TNA have announced Shocker, Alex Shelley and Amazing Red to be on the card also. I dont think that they should be the 5th man since they dont really deserve it as they have been out for a while or havent done much. Your views?

I say its Jeff Hardy. = lame!

Guest Mallcore Maniac

I have a feeling that Ken Shamrock might be the fifth man. The reason being that it is the 3 year anniversary, and he was the first vTNA champion.

As sad and as much as I don't want to say it, I think that it's gonna be Waltman. Here is my reason: if you noticed at the very end of the last Impact, Waltman grabbed the Heavyweight belt, stared at it for a little while, turned towards AJ, then gave AJ the belt AFTER AJ asked for it. As soon as I saw that I was like "awww crap...he's goin for the title now". So my money's on Waltman bein the mystery man...

I've no problem with it being Waltman (or Hardy for that matter), so long as the match is about AJ fighting off the odds and Abyss and Monty being dominant monsters. Jarrett should be the weaselly shit he's meant to play, and Waltman should just be filler.

I've no problem with it being Waltman (or Hardy for that matter), so long as the match is about AJ fighting off the odds and Abyss and Monty being dominant monsters.  Jarrett should be the weaselly shit he's meant to play, and Waltman should just be filler.

Yes I agree, Id just prefer the idea of Hardy being the filler than Waltman. But from the looks of things its Waltman, since he was looking at the belt. Reality check Waltman, YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO THAT BELT. If its Waltman, I would say that he wont last long in the match, as Raven beats the crap out of him.

Re: Shamrock, not a bad idea, given the history, but that means that TNA will miss it. Im against giving the company's gold to an outsider but to be truthful, I thought Ortiz may have a slim chance of being in the match, which they could say that Shamrock was the Champ 3 years ago, could a UFC guy be champ again today?

Tito as the 5th man would be awesome. I mean, they never followed up with him after he "helped" Styles win the title. I'm sure its Waltman, but the possibilities with Tito are much more exciting. He could be the extra face to even up the odds, he could test his mettle against Abyss or Monty, and he could get started in a nice fued against Jarrett.

Guest JebusNassedar

I just had a realization.

D-Lo Brown is working IWA-Mid South not but two days prior to the event. I think It'd be a good idea to pull the trigger here while he's back in the country.