TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Anakin Flair

Choosing a Wireless Router

So my dad just got high speed internet, and now I find myself needing to get a wireless router to stay online. Does anybody have any sugestions on what kind to get? I want speed, but not to expensive.

Agreed. I only picked up a Linksys because it was the cheapest available, but it's worked like a charm since I've had it.

I'm with these guys. Whatever you get, make sure the parts match--wireless card to wireless router, unless your computer just has a default Intel wireless card or something in it.

I just went through this, and Linksys worked out great. Buy from Best Buy; they've got big-time mail-in rebates. I particularly like the Speedbooster card and router, if you're willing to shell out a few more bucks. For the internet, the difference isn't very noticeable, but the extra memory makes file transfer--either straight downloading or peer to peer--much quicker. Don't get the D-Link DI-524, no matter what a good deal it might look like--it's bargain bin.

If you want good quality, go Motorola. Linksys is notoriously insecure, unless you're willing to set up WPA network encryption. Unless you don't care about people piggybacking on your WAN, in which case, go for Linksys. They're cheap and work decent most of the time. Just insecure and easy to crack.

If you want good quality, go Motorola. Linksys is notoriously insecure, unless you're willing to set up WPA network encryption. Unless you don't care about people piggybacking on your WAN, in which case, go for Linksys. They're cheap and work decent most of the time. Just insecure and easy to crack.

I think that depends on where you live. The area where I used to live wasn't the most well off so I never worried about that and my connection never lagged down. And now, although we are in a much better area, the house are greatly spaced a part and no signal travels far enough to reach the neighbor's.