TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JST

Inform-A-Ref

Howdy folks. We have a show coming up on july 22, featuring Austin Aries in a ROH-sanctionned title defense. Now since I'll most likely get the privilege of doing the match, I was hoping to turn to you fellow smarks.

Since I follow ROH just about as often as I do General Hospital, I was hoping to get any kind of information possible on the guy so I can know what to expect.

Ring style?

Heelish/faceish?

Charisma?

Nice person behind the scenes?

That, plus anything you can think of.

Thanks! :headbang:

Guest *KNK*

His ROH character, not sure of his other indy work basically consists of a cocky chickenshit heel.

Abundant charisma, and is a nice guy who is very dedicated.

I can't really describe his style but he's a very athletic performer who has no regard for his body and has a long list of injuries and has no problems going long in the ring

Finisher is 450 splash.

His style is "generic small indy guy who isn't a high-flyer". Lots of dropkicks, uses a few top-rope moves like the 450 every now and then, sometimes uses a brainbuster for his finish. Decent charisma, mostly heelish. Said to be a real nice guy.

He's going to replace Punk as the head trainer at the ROH wrestling school, which is pretty cool.

Sure, if you want to replace a guy who's at the stage in his career where he should be trying to learn more about the buisness with another.

He's not a better worker than Aries.

Edit - to qualify, I find Homocide vastly overrated and don't enjoy his matches at all. He would probably do a decent work as a trainer, but I'd hate to see a load of guys working like him.

Edited by Mystery Eskimo

Guest JebusNassedar
He's not a better worker than Aries.

Edit - to qualify, I find Homocide vastly overrated and don't enjoy his matches at all. He would probably do a decent work as a trainer, but I'd hate to see a load of guys working like him.

I don't know all of his students, but he trained Low Ki, and they wrestle nothing like eachother. Same with Dan Maff, Deranged, and Jay Lethal. So, that's really not a statement founded in reality.

I mean, hell, Ace Steel trained Punk and Cabana, and the three's styles aren't even close. Davey Richards, ROH's top student, doesn't wrestle like Punk. And Tony Devito trained Xavier, and the same thing happens. So I don't know where you get Student + Trainer = Trainer copy.

As far as Homicide goes, I respect him, but don't enjoy his stuff. He draws money, and has a name that's easy to remember and market. So, while he might wrestle like your favorite guys, that doesn't make him bad. I just wonder what's gonna happen if Aries starts training people, as to my knowledge, he hasn't trained anyone.

EDIT: I think you mean 'clarify.'

Guest JebusNassedar

Now, about Aries.

*ahem*

Aries wrestles like a modern hybrid wrestle. He does flying (low tope, occasional corkscrew dive, lots of dropkick, HUGE elbow drops and strikes, 450) mat wrestling (Rings of Saturn, The Fishhook of Doom) head drops (Sidewalk Driver, Crucifix Bomb, Brainbuster) and more. He's charismatic in ring, and tends to wrestle aggressive, but I havent seen him in other feds since he won the ROH title, so I dont know if he still does the stuff he does there, which is lots of cheating and skin-of-teeth victories. His big crowd-heat spot is when he starts waving to the crowd, beside the wrestler, signals, then does this superfast turning elbow (Power Drive Elbow, I believe it's called.)

Also, and you don't have to even try if you don't want, but If you can, get a picture. I want to brag that I know a guy who reffed Aries, then show the picture and laugh at people. I'll even host it on my Photobucket account.

I don't feel like starting a new thread. But what is the appeal of Austin Aries? I've watched a handful of his matches and I find him rather boring. I've never really been impressed by anything he can do. Why was he champ and also given the oppertunity to be a trainer at the ROH school? I just don't see his appeal at all... he's very bland to me.

Guest JebusNassedar
I don't feel like starting a new thread. But what is the appeal of Austin Aries? I've watched a handful of his matches and I find him rather boring. I've never really been impressed by anything he can do. Why was he champ and also given the oppertunity to be a trainer at the ROH school? I just don't see his appeal at all... he's very bland to me.

Austin Aries is the most versatile wrestler not named American Dragon in professional wrestling today. He is perfect in execution and has psychology down pat. It's all the little things that Austin Aries does that make him the best. He knows that he's not super strong, so his moveset is tailor made to take advantage of not being the biggest, fastest, and strongest. He's doesn't need to be: he's the smartest. His big finishers take advantage of momentary adrenaline bursts, as well as weakened opponents. He has kicks that he doesnt specalize in, but are used to pinpoint accuracy, and in moderation. His strikes are not the strongest, but they're well placed, and effectively timed. He snaps dropkicks off fast to keep pressure on, and tends to use a Rolling Elbow as an equalizer.

The point is, every thing he does is well placed, whether actually being an offensive manuver or not. To paraphrase Jim Cornette, he knows when to kick it in like a crazyman and back it up like a chickenshit.

I'll admit, the only Aries match I've ever seen is the one where he beat Joe for the title. I liked his enthusiasm and his moveset when I saw him, but I haven't been into ROH in quite some time. From what you just said, Jebus, I'm definitely interested in Aries now.

Dames

Guest JebusNassedar
I'll admit, the only Aries match I've ever seen is the one where he beat Joe for the title.  I liked his enthusiasm and his moveset when I saw him, but I haven't been into ROH in quite some time.  From what you just said, Jebus, I'm definitely interested in Aries now. 

Dames

I had a big post here that had all of his great matches, but it slowly dawns on me that, with the exception of a four corner match at Reborn Stage 1, all his matches have been superb. The only two that REALLY stand out are him vs. Low Ki at All Star Extravaganza II and vs. American Dragon at Testing The Limit.

He was also a part of Survival of the Fittest, the best ROH show in history. It was a one night tournament (12 people, six man elimination finals) that set up a good 70% of matches and storylines for the year, including but not limited to:

*Briscoes Vs. Rottweilers

*American Dragon Vs. Austin Aries

*Samoa Joe Vs. Colt Cabana

*Hydro breaking out

*Aries taking over GenNext

*Matt Stryker Vs. The World, pretty much

So, yeah.