TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewTS

OAO Raw Thread (6-20-05): Angle v. Some Big Guy

Kahran, I agree. From the first murmur of the draft a few months ago the initial idea was Cena comes to Raw, Batista goes to Smackdown. Basically they were going to just switch the champs.

This isn't to say Christian and Jericho shouldn't go to SMDN, it'd be cool if they did. But no way is Cena going to lose to either of them.

For a while I thought it might be interesting to have Batista as the very last selection to keep things in suspense as to whether SMDN would ever get a champion. If that happens this week instead, no one will care that HHH would job again to Batista, since he'd be leaving the show anyway. I do have this awful feeling we're in for Batista/Orton at SS though, which would be really horrible. And of course HHH/Cena, and HHH will probably win there but then job it back soon after (it'd give HHH another token title run, and Cena can get it back anyway).

I'm just wondering how HHH will justify putting himself in a WWE title feud with Cena immediately after he's lost three consecutive main events to Batista for the World Heavyweight title. That would just appear stupid.

They're building it up the right way. HHH has lost two matches already with Batista. He needs to look strong to build to a third match. HHH getting squashed every week isn't going to shit but give a few dumb smarks an erection. It's not going to get a buyrate.

Since Backlash, all they've done is have Hunter kill Batista with a Sledgehammer, constantly remind us that Hunter is undefeated in Hell in the Cell, constantly remind us how great Hunter is at Hell in The Cell matches, and have Hunter pin Batista after a Pedigree. Meanwhile, Batista looks like a fool for falling for the Flair turn. I'd say that the fans look at Batista and Hunter at about even (Hunter was screwed in the rematch and the Gold Rush Tournament) and that the Cell gimmick put Hunter as the favorite to win the match.

If HHH goes over Batista, I will be outraged. But he won't. They're setting it up so Batista is the underdog in this match and it's hard to do that when Batista has already beaten HHH twice and is the world champion. If it wasn't setup this way, there would be no clamor for this match as Batista is easily the superior opponent. Sure, a few smarks would be happy but the match would draw shit. Not to say that the match is the second coming of Hogan/Andre. But I don't think it's typical HHH squashing the roster shit.

As I said, HHH will need a bit of a rest from the main event for now. Hell, HHH/Cena is a fairly notable match that hasn't happened as of yet. I'd wait for a while and maybe do Cena/Angle...thing is Angle is going to job to Michaels and will thus be in no easy position to demand a title shot. Raw is all out of whack now with a face champ and heels going after him, haha.

As I said, HHH will need a bit of a rest from the main event for now.  Hell, HHH/Cena is a fairly notable match that hasn't happened as of yet.  I'd wait for a while and maybe do Cena/Angle...thing is Angle is going to job to Michaels and will thus be in no easy position to demand a title shot.  Raw is all out of whack now with a face champ and heels going after him, haha.

Which is why HHH would go over Cena. So that the guys that has the best shot at the title would be heels, hence cannot challenge HHH for the belt. And the faces would either be not ready or just had lost the belt (Cena). Genius strategy by HHH really.

As I said, HHH will need a bit of a rest from the main event for now.  Hell, HHH/Cena is a fairly notable match that hasn't happened as of yet.  I'd wait for a while and maybe do Cena/Angle...thing is Angle is going to job to Michaels and will thus be in no easy position to demand a title shot.  Raw is all out of whack now with a face champ and heels going after him, haha.

Which is why HHH would go over Cena. So that the guys that has the best shot at the title would be heels, hence cannot challenge HHH for the belt. And the faces would either be not ready or just had lost the belt (Cena). Genius strategy by HHH really.

Yep.

Plus he can say that he "made" Batista by jobbing to him three times. Even though Cena's the guy with real potential and he'll be burying him.

Guest *KNK*

The difference though on Smackdown, once they get Batista and Jericho/Christian/Shawn/Benjamin (at least 2 of these four), they will have a very large main event scene with alot of flexibility.

Batista

JBL

Benoit

Taker

Eddy

Jericho/Christian/Shawn/Benjamin

Randy Orton

Mysterio (not ppv me's but tv main events for sure)

The Big Show...(Although I suspect he'll get traded...)

Booker T

There's some fresh match ups there that they could work with for a few months right there.

I dunno, that'd be a step back down for him. I just think they're redoing the Cena angle that was aborted when Carlito injured his shoulder last year.

Guest *KNK*

Quite frankly the possibility of Benjamin/Haas, Benjamin/Eddy, Benjamin/JBL and maybe even Benjamin/Rey just makes me giddy.

Along with more Benoit/Benjamin goodness and maybe even a rematch with Shawn should he come over.

I dunno, that'd be a step back down for him.

Didn't stop them from throwing Orton back over on Smackdown. I think with Cena there and now Carlito and Angle, Shelton would have taken a backseat to them, in addition to the usual Raw stars like HHH and HBK. Smackdown is really the best place for Shelton at this point. With his current singles character, it'd be a bit fresher than when he left Smackdown last year.

True, and SD needs the shot in the arm. If Batista is the one that goes to SD with the title, he could eventually be in that mix, I think.

Guest *KNK*

If they bring in Batista with the World Title, should they go straight for the JBL match @ GAB or save that for SummerSlam in his hometown(It is in Washington DC right?)

If so, should they just do Batista/TBS(if he remains on the show) just to showcase Batista's strength?

Because I would perfer to see Benoit/JBL at GAB.

The Big Show is the most boring main event possibility on Smackdown right now though. It seems like ever since he lost to the sumo wrestler at WM he's just been dicking around.

The Big Show is the most boring main event possibility on Smackdown right now though.  It seems like ever since he lost to the sumo wrestler at WM he's just been dicking around.

He's just been dicking around ever since the match with Cena at WMXX, really.

As I said in the Vengeance thread:

If Triple H loses this Sunday, he will be out of the main event scene. I don't think there is anyway they could put him in a title shot for awhile.

Which means, they will.

Triple H losing has no effect on whether he stays in the 'main event scene' or not. He'll still be the most pushed person on Raw, like he always is, even after he loses. He'll lose, go on a rage, be confronted by John Cena, a title match will be set up, and Triple H wins a belt again, and it'll probably happen at Summerslam.