TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kurt Angle Mark

Cover for Infinite Crisis #1

Yeah, but its Power Girl, and her whole gimmick is she has giant boobs.

No, Power Girl's gimmick, at least back in the late 1980s/early 1990s when she was at her peak in terms of pressence in the DCU and written by Keith Giffen and Gerald Jones, was that she was a huge cunt of a feminazi who everyone hated because she always would be bitching out someone over the way her teammates treated her pet cat or ranting and raving about some sort of injustice being conspired against her, most notably her infamous war with soft drink manufacturers in JLE....

In short, she's supposed to be written like Guy Gardner not a brainless big boobed bimbo....

Blame Geoff Johns for the augmentation.

Since writing JSA, tit jokes and breast discussions PG has had with her male team members are all John's work. If anyone's guilty of making PG's tits into a spectacle, it's Johns.

I doubt this is what Giffen had in mind for her when he was writing her into stories.

Guest JMA
Blame Geoff Johns for the augmentation.

No way, Power Girl has always had a massive rack (even when she was an Earth-2 character). Her costume always emphasized her breasts as well. It's not something that's just recently happened.

See?

Powegirl.jpg

She's been protrayed as more flirtatious over the years in JSA than before when Giffen wrote her. Back then, she was a lot more tomboyish but Johns has smoothed the edges out.

But yeah, PG's rack has always been on display.

Yeah, but its Power Girl, and her whole gimmick is she has giant boobs.

No, Power Girl's gimmick, at least back in the late 1980s/early 1990s when she was at her peak in terms of pressence in the DCU and written by Keith Giffen and Gerald Jones, was that she was a huge cunt of a feminazi who everyone hated because she always would be bitching out someone over the way her teammates treated her pet cat or ranting and raving about some sort of injustice being conspired against her, most notably her infamous war with soft drink manufacturers in JLE....

1) Keep in mind that JLE was the book where Flash was portrayed as a simple minded pervert.

2) I don't think saying she was a "huge cunt of a feminazi who everyone hated" is exactly an accurate description, although she was a bitch people still seemed to respect her and want her around.

In short, she's supposed to be written like Guy Gardner not a brainless big boobed bimbo....

The two characters have never been anythng alike. Gardner's a egotistical loudmouth, while Power Girl in JLE was just bitter and pissed off. They're not the same.

In no way do I see her current characterization as being a "bimbo".

Solicitation for issue 2

INFINITE CRISIS #2

Written by Geoff Johns, art by Phil Jimenez and Andy Lanning, covers by Jim Lee and Sandra Hope and George Pérez

The biggest comics event of the year is just getting started. The heroes are divided as chaos erupts across the world and the universe -- from Paradise Island to the farthest reaches of space. But what strange new force prepares to help? And, more important, why? Plus, a time-lost hero returns in search of an object that will turn the tide of one of the many wars. Guest-starring Supergirl, Alan Scott, Metamorpho, Animal Man, Firestorm, Power Girl and dozens of others.

40 pages, $3.99, in stores on Nov. 9.

Animal Man?

Besides the "Grant Morrison/Geoff Johns alliance at DC" factor, Animal Man had a lengthy storyline in his book during the Morrison run where he dealt with the aftermath of Crisis which resulted in Psycho Pirate putting all of his memories of the Pre-Crisis DCU in his Medusa Mask and fading out of existence, with the mask being bonded to the face of Animal Man's best friend (Psycho Pirate, the medusa mask, and his memories were reunited after Zero Hour, when Zero Hour brought him back into the timeline).

I read that issue but I wasn't aware of any partnership between Johns and Morrison going on.  I'm out of the loop...

Yeah, Grant is helping Geoff with the build-up/aftermath of Infinite Crisis, stating that his current Seven Soldiers project is supposed to play a major role with regards to Infinite Crisis and it's aftermath not to mention the fact that DC is giving Grant the keys to the Batman books by way of him getting the Detective Comics sometime next year once the whole

Nightwing as Batman while Bruce is in the loony bin

storyline plays out.....

What's your thoughts on Batman, post-post Crisis? Will this story kill off the character or book for good you think?

I like Morrison but if he tries to deconstruct Batman like he did with Animal Man (and the comic book itself) then I think he's going to alienate a lot of fans. I hope DC really does shake-up things *smartly* and doesn't leave around any loose ends...like the other 2 times they've done this huge x-over story...

What's your thoughts on Batman, post-post Crisis?  Will this story kill off the character or book for good you think?

I like Morrison but if he tries to deconstruct Batman like he did with Animal Man (and the comic book itself) then I think he's going to alienate a lot of fans.  I hope DC really does shake-up things *smartly* and doesn't leave around any loose ends...like the other 2 times they've done this huge x-over story...

Morrison's Batman will probably be just like his Batman in JLA/JLA Classified, a Godlike hero who's ultra snarky (see Morrison's "Closet" gag, where he stated that Batman has various themed closets filled with weapons for every conceivable crisis he could face) to everyone around him.

The real question though is how Morrison deals with Batman as Bruce Wayne; the runaway success of the Englehart "Dark Detective" mini shows that there is an audience for exploring the Bruce Wayne aspect of Batman and Morrison's never actually addressed that one element of Batman's personality (Arkham Assylum doesn't count since Morrison has disowned that particular story due to his original script being rewritten due to his artist on the graphic novel being a dick).

Logically, DC should give Englehart "Batman" to write to appeal to the old school Batman fans and let Morrison write "Jerk-Ass God" Batman in Detective Comics. That way you get the best of both worlds really.

(Arkham Assylum doesn't count since Morrison has disowned that particular story due to his original script being rewritten due to his artist on the graphic novel being a dick).

Never heard that story before, I like Arkham Asylum as well, could you give me some details?

Could Morrison make Bruce Wayne a more interesting character than Batman?

I don't like Arkham Asylum's art or anyone elses' who resembles that particular style. Alex Maleev can take a long walk off a short pier.

(Arkham Assylum doesn't count since Morrison has disowned that particular story due to his original script being rewritten due to his artist on the graphic novel being a dick).

Never heard that story before, I like Arkham Asylum as well, could you give me some details?

Essentially it boils down to two elements:

1. Grant wanted Robin in the story, to counterbalance all of the insanity.

2. Grant also wanted Joker to be out and out gay for Batman in the story.

I've really been enjoying Villains United, but it seems sort of absurdist. Rock on, Catman.

Rann/Thanagar has been boring as of yet.

I've got my Days of Vengeance complete with black Vengeance tie-in, but I haven't read it.

OMAC: was much improved by the ending of Sacrifice, I have no idea what this is ending up to, though.

This is clearly Maxwell Lord's attempt to make me want to read the Giffen League. I am so compelled. I can't find the run at my local store though. Could someone point me to the Giffen run at MileHigh? Or what year the Giffen run started? Because I am seriously jonesing for it. And will pay money. And couldn't find it at Mile High because I'm incompetent. All I remember is Batman socking the living shit out of Gardner, and the subsequent rejoicing. I really liked the Giffen League, and don't even know it.

The Giffen JLA run:

Justice Leage 1-6

Justice League International 7-26

Justice League America 27-60

JL Annual 1

JLI Annual 2

JLA Annual 3-5

Justice League Europe 1-36

Justice League Europe Annual 1-2

There is also a JLA Quarterly book, IIRC Giffen wrote the first three issues of the series, which expands on storylines from the last two years of the Giffen run, most notably the origins JLA big bad The Extremists (evil villain group who are based upon Magneto, Dorammu, Sabretooth, Dr. Octopus, and Dr. Doom) and the Conglomerate (corporate JLA wannabes who Booster Gold joins after being expelled from the team after the imfamous hillarious "Booster and Beetle Buy an Island" storyline)...

I hope DC doesn't have any "loose ends" left over after this so they'll need to do another revamp 10 years from now.

The cover, as usual with Perez, looks awesome.

It looks like Wonder Woman's ass is about to explode too.

Although not directly related to the crisis, Willinghams writing for War Crimes is some of the worst Batman writing this year. It's funny just how much they are trying to retcon War Games, yet at the same time have Black Mask run away in the most idiotic way possible.

I say that DC will still have to do some major revising withing 5 years from now. After Smallville is off the air DC will have to fix some of the changes they made to coincide with the show.

Guest JMA
I say that DC will still have to do some major revising withing 5 years from now.  After Smallville is off the air DC will have to fix some of the changes they made to coincide with the show.

I don't think that's going to happen; I believe that DC is quite happy with their direction right now and will be for years to come. Even after this event ends there will likely be tons of ideas to spin from it.

I say that DC will still have to do some major revising withing 5 years from now.  After Smallville is off the air DC will have to fix some of the changes they made to coincide with the show.

I don't think that's going to happen; I believe that DC is quite happy with their direction right now and will be for years to come. Even after this event ends there will likely be tons of ideas to spin from it.

Not really, the Silver Age jack-off society HATED Smallville because it wasn't the shit Silver Age Superboy and had a Lex Luthor who was both likable and not a one-dimensional little shit who deserved to be kicked around simply because he didn't like how asshole Silver Age Superboy rendered him bald with his jack assery.

Hell, Mark Waid had to be FORCED to include the Smallville elements in "Birthright" on threat of DC refusing to publish the mini-series.

I don't have a problem with people who hate Smallville being interjected into the DC books.

Why?

Because Lex Luthor looks like the dumbest motherfucker in comics if he can't figure out Clark Kent is Superman after knowing him for like 15 years or at least since the high school days. Otherwise, Lex needs to kill everyone Supes knows because if a super villain *knows* the secret identity then they need to capitalize on that and take the fight to home. If they don't do anything devastating to the hero with the info they have on them then it was just another Bendis filler plot that doesn't go anywhere and was just a waste to read. Once the villain knows the identity of the hero, he's either gotta die or the hero has to die. That's end game for every super hero comic book since (some) have so much on the line (friends, family, etc.) that they can't risk letting some blood thirsty (and super powered) jerkoff attacking them at their home unexpectedly. Not even the members of the Avengers can protect every member of their respected families or friends during every second of the day.

Someone has to die...

Or else the villain can get anmesia for 10 years until he remembers everything again (Norman Osborn syndrome). That's still a giant cop out though.

Meeting up for the first time when Kent and Luthor are adults gives a lot more leeway (IMO) towards Lex not looking like a goober for not figuring out his best friend is really his greatest nemesis. That's my two cents on the ID revelation "storyline" in comics. Superman #292 is one of the worst issues in the original Superman run that I read. That was the issue where friends Superboy and Lex Luthor became rivals after Super Jr. put out a fire in Lex's lab (while he was getting ready to cure cancer and eliminate kryptonite) that caused Lex to lose his wavy red hair. That issue reset the entire history of the Superman franchise and not in a good way since Lex just looked like a complete chump (since he was supposed to be super smart and all) for never figuring out Supes' ID even though they were boyhood friends.

That issue always rubbed me the wrong way since I felt it devauled Lex as this great criminal mastermind who DC always touted him to be. It just didn't make sense.

Smallville is an ok show but nothing special. I believe that it will be nearly forgotten after 10 years. The show just won't have a long term impact.

Look at Batman the Animated Series. That has had a huge impact on the books. Mr. Freeze was changed to coincide with the TV series. Plus when you ask people what there ideal interpetation of Batman was, most will point out that when they think of Batman they thing of BTAS.

Hey does anyone remember the Superboy TV show in the 80's? I don't.

Guest JMA

I don't think that DC should've done away with Luthor knowing Superman's secret. It seemed to me that the whole thing was a giant cop-out; I mean, why reveal Superman's secret to Luthor if he's not going to do anything with it? I very much like the idea of Luthor knowing Superman's little secret and holding it over him. Since Luthor is (arguably) the smartest man in the DCU, he should be able to figure it out any way.

I also don't think that a villain has to die once he knows the hero's secret ID. Batman never had to have a fight to the death with Ra's al Ghul even though Ra's knew he was really Bruce Wayne. Ra's could've threatened the lives of Leslie Thompson, Alfred, Gordon, Vicky Vale, and many others if he chose to. He probably could've end killed a few without Bruce being able to save them. Yet he doesn't work that way. It could've been the same with Lex. He could've targetted all of Superman's friends and family, causing Superman to have to monitor them all the time.

Ruin is another character who knows Superman's ID and likely won't be dying soon.

In any case, DC won't reverse its changes just because a show is ending. Lois and Clark didn't break up after Lois and Clark went off the air. Harley Quinn and Renee Montoya will most likely still be in the DCU after the animated universe ends. I'm skeptical that Smallville will be the exception.