TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest jackie fargo

WWE explains the HBK challenge

Well sure people who got into wrestling in 1995 or so would HAVE to like Michaels since he was the guy being shoved down everyone's throat. But I had watched wrestling since 1987 or so and wasn't amused.

By the way, yes Michaels was a joke IC champ in his first run with the title in 93. He jobbed clean in a non title match to Tatanka (for the life of me I don't know why Tatanka never at least won the IC). He jobbed to Jannetty in a title match on Raw. Eventually he got in some sort of steroid/drug/contract dispute, whatever and was stripped of the title in Oct. 93....leading to Razor Ramon winning it and the subsequent WM 10 ladder match.

Shawn was not shoved down the fans throats at all in 95. First of all, he had been involved with the IC title for over 3 years by then. Call it a joke reign, but after the ladder match people were taking HBK very serious. Secondly, he was VERY over heading into Wrestlemania 11, to a point where most of the crowd was cheering heel HBK over face Diesel. He easily surpassed Bret Hart in popularity right when he turned face. The whole 95 even when having midcard matches he would get the loudest ovation of the night. If anything they hurt his World Title reign by waiting so long to give it to him. He was easily at his peak of popularity after Wrestlemania 11, but they drew it out all the way until the next Wrestlemania.

Totally agree with you Shanghai Kid.

Not to mention the fact that he won the IC title in 92 against Davey Boy in an excellent match. And shoving a wrestler down the fans' throats doesn't necessarily mean the fans will take a liking to him. Take a look at The Lex Express or even face Randy Orton for that matter.

You aren't going to get people to "boo" Hulk Hogan at this stage of his career, so Shawn Michaels' reason for attacking him really doesn't matter. Fans are not going to cheer against Hulk Hogan in the "final" match of his career.

Guest jackie fargo

I started this thread about a week ago, and now I'm certain that the WWE is trying to turn Hulk heel by doing this HBK face promos..

Shawn, Diesel, the Kliq, whatever....all were shoved down the audience's throat in 1995. Oddly I don't recall anyone I knew really badmouthing Diesel all that much. Maybe no one cared either way about him? That's pretty much how I felt.

If you listen to Bret Hart he'll explain what Shawn did. Bret explained how he tried his best to get Diesel over and not usurp his heat, whereas Shawn tried his best to make himself popular (which wasn't the intended idea of WM 11).

Is it really shocking that Shawn got more popular than Bret in 1995? Shawn was getting about as big of a push as possible shy of winning the world title, while Bret was dicking around with Bob Backlund, Hakushi, Dr. Isaac Yankem, and Jean Pierre Lafitte.

Glad someone mentioned the Bulldog 92 match, since that's the match that forever made me hate Shawn Michaels. I was a big time Bulldog fan and was overjoyed when he won the IC title from Bret at Wembley. When Michaels beat him I of course wasn't privvy to DBS' steroid firing or WCW deal, so it really broke my heart. In fact this is the only match where I ever felt like crying. Well that and Macho/Warrior from WM 7, but for totally different reasons.

I'm such a bitch.

You aren't going to get people to "boo" Hulk Hogan at this stage of his career, so Shawn Michaels' reason for attacking him really doesn't matter.  Fans are not going to cheer against Hulk Hogan in the "final" match of his career.

I sure as hell would, especially at this stage of his career.

In fact, while I'm sure it doesn't hold for the WWE fans at large, there's nothing that Shawn could have done to get in my good graces more than to "turn" on Hogan.

Guest JMA

I tend to agree that Diesel was more over by losing to Bret than by winning against Shawn. As a kid, I remember loving how Bret vs. Diesel ended. It was like Bret won by the skin of his teeth, but also because of his experience and intelligence. Meanwhile, Diesel looked like he could've beat the Hitman if only he didn't make one mistake. This is one of the very best examples of beating someone while still putting them over.

Come to think of it, this probably would've been the best way to book Goldberg's first loss (maybe against Bret).

Some good points made here about HBK being at his peak at WM 11. I've felt that the wwe tried to learn from that by putting the title on Cena at WM 21 instead of stretching it out until next year like so many critics were stating they should do. The belt should have gone on Shawn at Mania 11 imo. I think we should expect something like WM 11's match where Shawn is heel, but he does face stuff in the match to keep fans from totally turning on him. Speaking of Cena, I also think they are setting up Cena/HBK post SummerSlam. The 1995-2005 comparisons are too much to pass up.

Guest jackie fargo
Some good points made here about HBK being at his peak at WM 11. I've felt that the wwe tried to learn from that by putting the title on Cena at WM 21 instead of stretching it out until next year like so many critics were stating they should do. The belt should have gone on Shawn at Mania 11 imo. I think we should expect something like WM 11's match where Shawn is heel, but he does face stuff in the match to keep fans from totally turning on him. Speaking of Cena, I also think they are setting up Cena/HBK post SummerSlam. The 1995-2005 comparisons are too much to pass up.

Micheals is being unprofessional in this angle, there is no doubt by the last couple of weeks Micheals is trying to get a face reaction when his SUPERKICK WAS AN ACT OF HEELISM...