TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dubq

The OaO Mid-2005 Zombie Movie Tournament

Thanks to UseTheSledgehammerUh's tie-breaking vote we have a challenger for Dawn of the Dead [Original].. Cemetery Man!

Vote away.

Dawn. The most pivotal zombie flick ever created against an extremely entertaining one? Yeah. This would be like comparing This is Spinal Tap and Rock Star in terms of which movie is a better way of showing how goofy 80's rock was.

Dawn of the Dead (Original).

I still think Shaun is better than any film Romero ever made, but that's just me. Shame it didn't make it. (And before you hate on a personal opinion, I love both NOLD and Dawn and think they're great). Shaun can't touch Savini's work (though the one scene is Dawn at the pub with the multiple...you know...if ya seen it...) is a nice tribute to Savini.

HEY, since Dawn is apparently taking this, you all wanna do one for HORROR MOVIES in general?

I'd like to throw, say, the top 7 zombie flicks in, and then see how they do against some of the more popular (and some of the more obscure) best of horror cinema?

Honestly?

. . .

You're gonna think I'm just doing it to spite you guys, but I'm not.

Cemetary Man

And how the hell did Night of the Living Dead not make it into the finals? I call shenanigans.

Dawn of the Dead (Original).

I still think Shaun is better than any film Romero ever made, but that's just me.  Shame it didn't make it.  (And before you hate on a personal opinion, I love both NOLD and Dawn and think they're great).  Shaun can't touch Savini's work (though the one scene is Dawn at the pub with the multiple...you know...if ya seen it...) is a nice tribute to Savini.

HEY, since Dawn is apparently taking this, you all wanna do one for HORROR MOVIES in general?

I'd like to throw, say, the top 7 zombie flicks in, and then see how they do against some of the more popular (and some of the more obscure) best of horror cinema?

I think that's a great idea.

Also, I don't hate Dawn or anything, and it's obvious that it's going to win come Wednesday, but I was just hoping that something a little less predictable would happen. <_<

I also think people might not have been rooting for the underdog on that one.

I'm surprised Dead/Alive didn't do better. Maybe not so many people have seen it. I personally think it's a lot funnier than Shaun (and I love Shaun)

The general horror movie tournament would be great. The Evil Deads would definitely get in there and tear shit up.

K, I only voted Shaun over Dead Alive because I think the script in Shaun is so much tighter, and the pacing is better. The cast also had more chemistry than Dead Alive's did (mostly because most of them worked together on a TV show, and I think Simon and Edgar grew up together), and the soundtrack is phenomenal.

Though I have gotten more tang watching Dead Alive than I have Shaun...hrmmmm...might need to rethink my stance on this.

Guest El Satanico

Dawn

I think we've done one before, but that's fine by me. I would only use the top 2 or 4 from this, instead of 7. Yo u should also make it a bigger tourney than this one. 64 or even 32 would be better.

Actually, I have a better idea. Do a tourney like this for every popular horror subgenre. Then, take the top two from each and put them into a 64 movie tourney. If there's empty spots, fill them by doing a nomination thread for movies that weren't included in the previous tourneys.

But there will need to be rules about what is horror and what is not. Movies like Seven, Saw and Silence of the Lambs are not horror movies, IMO.

Guest El Satanico

The serial killer genre, is sometimes hard to call horror or not horror. Most horror fans agree Silence and the like are not really horror, but movies like Henry blur the line.

Well, there's a simple way to decide if something's horror or not.

Is it played so that the situation itself is the main thing of interest, or are the characters the main thing of interest?

Think about it. Horror films are not character studies. I wouldn't really Ginger Snaps a horror film because of this, since it's a character study about the Fitzgerald sisters. Sure, it's a werewolf film, but I wouldn't call it a horror film, ya know? No real HORROR element happens until the last 15 minutes or so of the flick after the initial attack. Though the sequel and the prequel could very well be considered horror, while also being character studies...dammit.

Okay...I think that's a good bar of judgment on what is and what isn't a horror film. Is the situation the main focus of the film, or are the characters the main focus of the film? If we use that, we can rule out most drama's that deal with serial killers.

EDIT:

Also, what categories would we need? Zombie, Vampire, Slasher...what else? Would "alien" be a category? Ghosts? Do we lump Werewolves into the all-encompassing "Monster" genre because there aren't enough GOOD werewolf movies out there (and most of the recent ones are more action than horror)?

Guest Dynamite Kido

Categories....

-Zombie

-Giallo

-Monster

-Slasher

-Exploitation

-Ghosts

-Epidemics

-Horror from another planet

And we couldset a couple precedents for confusing things: Vampires should be under monster, for example (and of course IMO) as making an 'undead' category would be weird, since zombie movies are a genre unto themselves.

Guest El Satanico

Categories....

Demons/Possesion

Satan

Hauntings/Ghosts

Vampire

Creature Features

Witchcraft

Asian

I agree with Special K about Vampires being under monsters/creatures. I would leave Asian out because most of their popular horror movies are ghost movies anyway.. so, any Asian movie should be able to fall under the other categories.

Also, could Satan and Demon's/Possession be in one category?

Plus, what about older styled stuff like Vincent Price horror flicks from back in the day [i'm thinking Phibes, etc]? Or Slasher flicks like Friday the 13th, TCM, Halloween and Nightmare, etc?

They're slasher flicks, but I wouldn't consider the original TCM a slasher. Too creepy to be a slasher. More of a soft exploitation flick, IMO.

Now, the sequels? Those are slashers. But the first is soft exploitation.

And yeah, Satan should go under Demons/Possessions, since movies that deal with demonic possessions usually deal with Lucifer as well.

Also...what would we classify under Monsters? Vampires and werewolves, definitely, but what about mummies? Would they be monsters or zombies (since they ARE the reanimated dead)? Would aliens have their own categories or would they be under monsters?

I don't think Epidemics should be a style, simply because most films dealing with an Epidemic tend to be drama's, and the few horror films that deal with Epidemics use them as a backdrop for other things. I can only really think of one movie, The Crazies, that deals with an Epidemic and can't be listed under Zombies (like Rabid and 28 Days Later can).

Okay...so categories DEFINITELY needed are:

-Zombies

-Ghosts/Supernatural

-Slasher

We'll need to definitely work on this.

^^^ Agree with all of that.

I think that Monsters/Creatures should encompass all of the classic horror movie monsters like vampires, werewolves, mummies, aliens, creatures from black lagoons, pumpkinheads and the like. ;)

Guest El Satanico

By satan, I meant more along the lines of "devil worship". Movies like Omen and Rosemary's Baby have nothing to do with movies like Evil Dead and Exorcist.

Vampires should be kept seperate from creatures/monsters. There's plenty of worthy vampire films for a seperate tourney. Including it with other creatures, would be unfair to both vampires and the other creatures. Vampires would take at least half of the spots if included with the others.

However, one solution could be a tourney for "classic creatures" and a tourney for "modern creatures". Classic would be up to a certain year and Modern would be everything after that year.

Guest Dynamite Kido

If you want to do a true horror tourney..........Giallo is a must for a category.

Guest El Satanico

I agree with you kido, but giallo also walks the fine line between horror and not horror.

Guest Dynamite Kido

You have a point..........but, the best ones would probably all be considered horror anyway though Satanico.....