TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

Campaign 2008

The Washington Post humorously pointed out today that while the House debates the non-binding resolution on the troop surge, Bush scurried to a seemingly more friendly YMCA, where a little boy ruined the photo-op with a peace sign. Bush told him to, "Put your hands down." In the last line of the story, one kid said, "My favorite president is President Obama."

pwned.

f your party nominated a well-qualified Candidate For WH '08 who was _, would you vote for that person?

Yes No

Catholic 95% 4% (Brownback)

Black 94 5 (Obama)

Jewish 92 7

A woman 88 11 (Clinton)

Hispanic 87 12 (Richardson)

Mormon 72 24 (Romney)

Married for third time 67 30 (Rudy, McCain)

72 years old 57 42 (McCain)

A homosexual 55 43 (Duncan Hunter, lol)

An atheist 45 53 (Brownback, lol)

Comfort- With Would

able Reserv- Not

ations Vote

Black 84% 9% 5%

A woman 78 10 11

Mormon 58 14 24

72 years old 43 15 42

Married for

third time 54 13 30

Well so much for Al Gore running. I thought he had the best chance of any candidate to defeat Hillary.

Former US vice president Al Gore has ruled out a bid for the White House in the 2008 elections and will carry on his fight against global climate change.

"I have no intention to run for president," Gore said in an interview conducted in Los Angeles and broadcast Thursday by the BBC.

"I can't imagine in any circumstance to run for office again," said the former Democratic vice president under then-president Bill Clinton.

Gore was defeated in the 2000 presidential race by Republican President George W. Bush.

He has since been crisscrossing the globe with his documentary "An Inconvenient Truth," a blistering indictment of pollution that warns against ecological catastrophe by climate change.

Gore announced Thursday in Los Angeles a massive 24-hour global concert to save the planet from global warming, patterned after the awareness-raising Live 8 concert about world poverty.

Called Live Earth, shows are planned on July 7 in Shanghai, Sydney, Johannesburg, and London, and yet-undecided sites in Brazil, Japan, the United States, and possibly other countries.

The concert marks the latest foray by the ex-vice president into cultural politics. His "An Inconvenient Truth" has been shown worldwide and is nominated for an Oscar at this year's Academy Awards.

Gore was the US negotiator for the international Kyoto Protocol that set global goals on emission of so-called greenhouse gases, including carbon dioxide, produced by the burning of fossil fuels such as oil and coal.

The protocol was agreed in 1997 and took effect in February 2005, but Bush refused to ratify it, citing its high economic cost and the fact that China and India, the world's largest producers of greenhouse gases after the United States were, as developing nations, not bound by it.

Greenhouse gases allow sunlight through Earth's atmosphere, but line glass in a greenhouse, traps heat inside, and is already blamed for shrinking polar ice caps and may cause violent weather changes.

Credit: Breitbart.com; http://www.breitbart.com/news/2007/02/16/0...7.67kfaghf.html

The only way I could see Gore ever getting into a presidential race is if there was a deadlocked convention and they needed an alternative candidate the delegates could agree on.

That's a pretty unlikely scenario.

Sounds unlikely but it is VERY possible next year because states like California are moving to put their primaries closer to New Hampshire. If this happens its possible that a great portion of the delegates will be taken within the first two months of the nomination calendar and no one having a majority. Realistically, I'd prefer this because there isn't any excitement at the conventions anymore.

That said, I fully expect whoever wins Iowa or New Hampshire to blitz thru and win nearly all the delegates but there's an outside chance the Democratic primary could get split early if Edwards is able to win Iowa and Nevada, Clinton or Obama wins NH, and Edwards/Clinton/Obama win SC. SC is more of a tossup due to Edwards Carolina roots, Hillary winning the support of black leaders, and then Obama being a prominent black candidate in state where the majority of Democratic primary voters are black.

I also have an interesting question: why are black leaders falling in behind the Clintons? Also, will black voters follow these leaders in supporting Clinton or flock to Barack?

garrison keillor's article in the paper today mentioned that Guiliani dressed up in drag and had Donald Trump kiss his fake boobs..I can only imagine that wont help his image much..

I bet theres photos somewhere but Im too lazy took em up..

A good ticket wouldn't include Edwards.

Deadlocked convention? Do you people realize that the days of Estes Kefauver and Warren Harding are long gone?

I would think black voters would tend to support a black man more than a white woman, but who knows for sure? Bill Clinton has been called the first black president.

I find it funny that for all the discipline in the Clinton camp they still haven't figured out how to handle the Iraq war issue in a way that reinforces Hillary's "security credentials" and appeases the far left wing of the party.

Also, it's going to get really interesting when the Clinton war machine has to be put into action against Obama and how the public and black voters in particular react to that.

Guest Oedipus Rex
Anyone else think an Edwards/Obama ticket could be a great combination?

Yeah, People magazine.

I find it funny that for all the discipline in the Clinton camp they still haven't figured out how to handle the Iraq war issue in a way that reinforces Hillary's "security credentials" and appeases the far left wing of the party.

I don't think ANY wing of the party is going to be satisfied with Mrs. Clinton's handling of the war issue. Like Kerry before her, she's trying to have it both ways.

http://news.aol.com/elections/president/st...S00010000000001

John McCain, further down the spiral.

Told ya.

Ah, another reason not to like him anymore. It's really depressing, IMO

Mike DeWine will be running McCain's Ohio campaign. Awful.

DeWine? Goddamnit...

SLAPFIGHT!

Analysis: Clinton-Obama tussle reveals some real issues

By Bill Schneider

CNN Senior Political Analyst

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- The long-term impact of the Tinseltown tussle between the Clinton and Obama campaigns is no big deal, but it showcases a big issue in the primary campaign.

At issue: Can Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-New York, or Sen. Barack Obama, D-Illinois, be elected president?

"There are some Democrats that wonder if either one can win," political analyst Stu Rothenberg said.

Obama supporter and Hollywood movie mogul David Geffen raised the issue front and center about Clinton. In an interview with New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd, Geffen called her "incredibly polarizing" and said Republicans believe "she's the easiest to defeat.''

The Clinton campaign's tough response, in which it challenged Obama to distance himself from Geffen and return Geffen campaign donations, sent a signal.

It shows Clinton is willing to hit back when someone comes after her.

And does Clinton have too much political baggage? That issue is now on the table, too.

The dust-up also raises issues for Obama. Is he really a different kind of politician? Just last Sunday, Obama denounced what he called "slash and burn'' politics, but his campaign issued a slashing attack on Clinton.

"It's not clear to me why would I be apologizing for someone else's remarks," Obama said in Iowa Wednesday night.

"My sense is that Mr. Geffen may have differences with the Clintons," Obama said. "That doesn't really have anything to do with our campaign."

Obama, though, quickly got back on the high road.

"I've said repeatedly that I have the utmost respect for Sen. Clinton, and I have considered her an ally in the Senate," Obama said.

In a polarized political environment, there's a lot more strategic voting in the primaries.

"Democrats want a winner and it's not just the party insiders, and it's not just the political consultants," Rothenberg said. "It's real people, real voters. And so I think electability will be a crucial issue."

The rule in politics is that when Candidate A and Candidate B start attacking each other, the benefit goes to Candidate C.

"If Sen. Clinton and Sen. Obama were engaged in a day-in, day-out bashing of each other, I think it probably would help somebody like John Edwards, who could stand above the fray and act presidential," Rothenberg said. "But we're a long way from that."

Do the polls say anything about who's electable?

Five national polls have come out this month pitting Clinton and Obama against Republican front-runners Rudy Giuliani and John McCain. The results are always very close -- usually within the margin of error.

Nobody's unelectable. But nobody's a sure winner either.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/02/22/sch...bama/index.html

Maybe I'm a little biased here, but it seems the problem is between Geffen and Clinton, and not Obama and Clinton, no matter how much the Clinton campaign and the press try to claim otherwise. Meanwhile, this is the kind of petty bullshit stuff that everyone gets worked up instead of real differences on actual issues. Because, you know, I seem to remember something about a war going on or something.

Tom 'the terrorist' Daschle endorsed Obama.

I'm trying real hard to ignore the Obama-Geffen-Hilary nonsense. Keeping my tv, when it's actually on, to the Cspans is helping.

Richardson made Vilsack redundant. I don't expect Biden or Dodd to stick around for long, either.

Tom 'the terrorist' Daschle endorsed Obama.

I'm trying real hard to ignore the Obama-Geffen-Hilary nonsense. Keeping my tv, when it's actually on, to the Cspans is helping.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/02/23/rom...s.ap/index.html

Romney's trying to milk the incident now.

For the Huckabee fanboys...this seems dumb. He is referring to the war islamiliberalcomuninonazifascism or whatever they're calling it these days.

We need to understand that this is, in fact, World War III. Unlike any other world war we've ever fought, this one is one we cannot afford to lose...because losing it does not mean we lose some land or some geopolitical influence. It means we give up our own lives, because no less than that is the goal of the jihadists.

We could have afforded to lose WWII, apparently.

That was dumb. Did he think the WW3 conspiracy theory needed a candidate with Newt not being involved in the moment?

Didn't vyce or someone once post something here about how Republicans never do the silly conspiracy theory thing?

Guest Oedipus Rex

Dumb comment. I'm waiting for the real Republican candidate to ride in on his white horse any time now?

Sign in to follow this