TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

Campaign 2008

Guest WhackingCockDick

Kerry is a good choice for vice president; I just don't like the guy. I don't know if Kerry himself was really all that popular with America inasmuch as 2004 was a referendum on George W. Bush. Given the political climate and the tenor of the campaigns, we probably would've had a high turnout and more Democratic votes than ever in a losing effort, whether it was Kerry, Edwards, Dean, or Dick Gephardt.

Like always, you're wrong.

Kerry has clearly learned his lesson about playing nice with the opposition after 2004. He felt that the American people were too smart to believe that a man on the national stage could actually make up a fake military record. The voters of this country are plenty stupid to fall for something like that and they proved it. With that lesson learned, Kerry would now make a strong 'attack-dog' veep candidate. His experience, both in Congress and in Vietnam, would balance all that Obama lacks. He proved himself to be very popular with voters, as well. He received more votes than any Democrat in history in 2004. While I dont think it will actually happen (still sticking with Sam Nunn), it would be a very good pick.

But, since I don't think Glen Beck has had time to drool about this one, why do you think it's dumb, Marvin? Here's your big chance to 'prove' a point all on your own!

Obama has to go with someone who doesn't have 20+ years of Senate service, or else it conflicts with the whole idea of "change". How is Kerry for VP change? I think it shows that the Democrat party is pulling the major strings for Obama and not letting him make the choice for VP himself since I find it hard to believe he'd choose Kerry on his own.

And I dont see Kerry as an "attack dog". He didnt do much "attacking" 4 years ago when he was getting hammered himself.

As was mentioned by the last post, the record number of votes for Kerry were probably at least 75% anti-Bush, not pro-Kerry votes. I dont know many people who voted for Kerry who werent voting for him for the sole purpose of the "anyone but Bush" philosophy.

Guest WhackingCockDick
And I dont see Kerry as an "attack dog". He didnt do much "attacking" 4 years ago when he was getting hammered himself.

Kerry has clearly learned his lesson about playing nice with the opposition after 2004. ... With that lesson learned, Kerry would now make a strong 'attack-dog' veep candidate.

Reading is a skill, Marvin.

the Democrat party

This just makes it sound like you don't know what its name is.

Kerry is a good choice for vice president; I just don't like the guy. I don't know if Kerry himself was really all that popular with America inasmuch as 2004 was a referendum on George W. Bush. Given the political climate and the tenor of the campaigns, we probably would've had a high turnout and more Democratic votes than ever in a losing effort, whether it was Kerry, Edwards, Dean, or Dick Gephardt.

I agree with you. However, I don't think Dean would have been on the losing end. He would not have played nice like Kerry did. In any case, Kerry was the guy that got all of those votes and he can bring all of that national recognition to the ticket.

Since Czech already re-showed the dipshit fallacy of Marvin's first argument, I'll quickly expose the second. No losing presidential candidate has ever returned to run on a ticket as a veep. That would be a huge change. Obama can have an experienced candidate on his ticket; that will not disqualify the change message.

A military background seems to be the biggest "must" for a potential VP at this point.

I'm leaning towards Wesley Clark because I think he offsets Obama's weaknesses the best, though he does have a habit of sticking his foot in his mouth.

Sam Nunn would be a logical choice as well, provided people can overlook the fact he's 69 years old, somewhat conservative, and has been out of office for over a decade.

I'll say again that I think Bill Richardson's vast experience in foreign policy and as both a governor and cabinet secretary should also make him a top contender.

The VP nominee will speak on the 27th. Already scheduled for that day are Bill Clinton, Bill Richardson, Evan Bayh, Harry Reid, Jay Rockefeller, Joe Biden, Ken Salazar, Jim Clyburn, Patrick Murphy, and Tammy Duckworth. Will the nominee be among them or, with their speeches already scheduled, are all of those names out of the running?

I think the words "card subject to change" could be applied here.

It should also be noted that the nominee could also be someone none of us have thought of yet. The risk there is you could have the press hostile to the person because he or she isn't "nationally known."

I think the concern there wouldn't so much be that they weren't famous enough, but rather a question of how well they had been vetted. It's been a probkem before. Examples: McGovern's pick of Tom Eagleton and George Bush Sr picking that handicapped fellow.

McCain & Oboma both performed well on the forum tonight. It's nice to see a Christian leader who actually concerns himself with those words printed in red.

McCain & Oboma both performed well on the forum tonight. It's nice to see a Christian leader who actually concerns himself with those words printed in red.

I think Obama's decision to answer the questions like a normal human being instead of using them as a pretext to launch into a set of vaguely related prepared talking points along with his complete lack of inspiring POW camp stories will hurt him in the media.

Please let it be Bill Clinton.

That does bring up an interesting question though. Could Bill even be selected VP since he has already used up his term limit? Or does the term limit only mean you can't be President more than 8 years consecutively but you can return after a 4 year break. I've never really fully understood if a former successful president could return as a VP.

That's what I thought. Making sure that was the deal there. I'm really hoping for Richardson as VP, mainly because I like any guy willing to spend taxpayers money on finding out if a dead man was actually Billy the Kid.

That's what I thought. Making sure that was the deal there. I'm really hoping for Richardson as VP, mainly because I like any guy willing to spend taxpayers money on finding out if a dead man was actually Billy the Kid.

I saw a Bill Richardson for President bumpersticker on a van in the parking lot today. I had never seen one..

I sort of think he'd be a good choice myself actually.

Portraits of the Candidates as a pile of words.

Really fascinating thing that breaks down the most commonly used words in Obama and McCain's blog. The funny part about everything? But Senator Obama and Senator McCain's top word is "Obama". Ha!

Hmmm...

(I'm gonna pull a Fox News and put the conclusion I want the audience to come to in the form of a question.)

Could McCain's fixation on Obama be because he has nothing to offer but the same old shit?

Please let it be Bill Clinton.

That does bring up an interesting question though. Could Bill even be selected VP since he has already used up his term limit? Or does the term limit only mean you can't be President more than 8 years consecutively but you can return after a 4 year break. I've never really fully understood if a former successful president could return as a VP.

Actually I think that he could be selected for VP because here's the hitch: The U.S. Constitution only allows you to be ELECTED president for two terms but also allows someone to serve as president for up to 10 years. This is why LBJ could have run for a third term in 1968 (which he declined to do so).

Basically, Bill could be VP and serve but he could never run for president again. However, if Obama was elected and then resigned/died in office, Bill could theoretically serve for two years which would prompt a presidential election to be a bit off-key and mess up the yearly rotation forever. For example, if Obama stepped down in 2009 and Bill served till 2011 then we'd have a presidential election then and not 2012.

But it's not going to happen.

Portraits of the Candidates as a pile of words.

Really fascinating thing that breaks down the most commonly used words in Obama and McCain's blog. The funny part about everything? But Senator Obama and Senator McCain's top word is "Obama". Ha!

Hmmm...

(I'm gonna pull a Fox News and put the conclusion I want the audience to come to in the form of a question.)

Could McCain's fixation on Obama be because he has nothing to offer but the same old shit?

I'd say it's more about how he's truly on the defensive against Obama than anything else. Obama has the public's ear, and McCain has to tell them why they shouldn't listen to him before he can start his own pitch. Obama, on the other hand, can just keep moving along like it's a one-man race. Heck, I can't even find McCain's name in his little word-puzzle. All the attention is focused on Obama himself.

More interestingly, his blog also uses a lot more positive words. He's only talking about himself and using positive messages to move through. Look at McCain's and you see the mix of negative and positive, obviously with more negative since it's more about Obama than himself. I think that's the bigger advantage here; avoiding the "negativity" backlash will work in his favor if McCain has to resort to Swift-Boat stuff.

It's Obama's fault that we're not winning because he voted not to increase military spending. CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT. VOTING NOT TO FLUSH MORE MONEY INTO THE IRAQ WAR?

Only 1 week until the Democratic Convention.

If the trend holds, Obama will name his running mate by the end of the week.

Drudge lists several sources indicating he's made the pick with the announcement coming either tomorrow or Wed. morning.

Senator Barack Obama has all but settled on his choice for a running mate and set an elaborate rollout plan for his decision, beginning with an early morning alert to supporters, perhaps as soon as Wednesday morning, aides said.

Obama's deliberations remain remarkably closely held. Aides said perhaps a half-dozen advisers were involved in the final discussions in an effort to enforce a command that Obama issued to staff members: that his decision not leak out until supporters are notified.

Obama had not notified his choice — or any of those not selected — of his decision as of late Monday, advisers said. Going into the final days, Obama was said to be focused mainly on three candidates: Senator Evan Bayh of Indiana, Governor Tim Kaine of Virginia and Senator Joseph Biden Jr. of Delaware.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/08/19/america/19veep.php

Ugh.

I wouldn't like any of those three really. Kaine adds nothing in particular to the ticket (and, as governor, he can help Obama in VA anyway, as can Webb and Mark Warner. Maybe they'll throw Chuck Robb out on the stump as well). Biden is practically guranteed to say something stupid and I think he'd be better suited as Secretary of State. Bayh is the worst.

Sam Nunn brings tons of experience and, if Obama ends up with any chance there, possible help in Georgia. He's also younger than McCain by a few years. I also don't think an experienced candidate takes anything away from Obama's 'change' message. And I want my prediction to be right!

I do think Kerry would be the best/my favorite choice. All my reasoning has already been posted.

Hopefully the latest talk of the announcement still being a few days off is a ruse to keep leaks/reporters away so the mailing list does get it first. I don't want to keep waiting. I really thought one of these guys would have made a pick before the Olympics.

Sign in to follow this