TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Slickster

Why WWE Should Buy the NWA

Instead of locating one WWE brand in Britain (as Mada proposed), I think it would make a hell of a lot more sense for the WWE to use its name/status as the #1 wrestling company in the world to create its own minor league system.

What you do is you set up a mini-NWA of WWE-affiliated indy promotions around the world, then send them the WWE guys who have no storylines/creative doesn't care about. In return for boosting local sales, the promotions work as the first level of WWE training and can send guys to the next level - OVW - for finishing before getting called up to the big time.

To put my idea in action, let's say that WWE enters into such an agreement with the FWA. FWA gets WWE-contracted talent (like, say, Al Snow and Scotty 2 Hotty) at its shows; FWA guys also get to work a few matches on WWE's European tours. In return, FWA and WWE have an agreement about talent exchange, greasing the wheels for guys like Paul Burchill to come to Louisville for further instruction in the WWE style.

This system would provide

-clear benefits for indy promotions (they get WWE talent and the rub of WWE affiliation)

-several indy feds for WWE to draw talent from

-deeper worldwide penetration for the WWE brand (since now WWE stars can be seen at the local armory, not just on TV)

-a clear way for aspiring wrestlers to join the WWE (since they will know what indies are WWE affiliates, they will therefore go there to get trained/hired).

These are some of the companies I'd try to affiliate with:

-Memphis (an obvious choice, since Memphis already has a WWE talent exchange)

-FWA (Britain's #1 indy)

-ROH (an obvious choice, especially since they have such a deep talent pool)

What do you think of thise idea?

Hook up with a Japanese promotion and a Mexican promotion, for cruisers or otherwise, and you're set. It's a neat idea on paper. How it would work in practice is another story, but it might be successful.

I don't there's a promoter in the world who would refuse to work with WWE unless they hate making money and being successful.

I've always felt that they should do something like this. One has to wonder if Vince has any regrets about killing the territory system like he did. The business was going to change and evolve because of cable anyway and there was going to be a "national/worldwide" company but that development system didn't have to be killed. He pretty much used the territories as his development system through the 80's and early 90's and then developing new talent became a problem because the territories were dead.

So build some territory systems back up. Associate various indie companies like ROH or IWC in Pittsburgh with WWE along with OVW, the Atlanta development, maybe something in Texas (run by HBK maybe) and a Calgary territory. Use WWE to syndicate their programs to local markets and/or offer them nationally on WWE 24-7. This way, the idea of a 24 hour wrestling channel, becomes more of a reality because you'll have current territories in addition to the archive footage. I personally would be more enticed to purchase WWE 24-7 if I could watch OVW, ROH and other indies in addition to the classics.

WWE can send random talent into these companies when "creative has nothing for them" on the big show. It was exciting to see Matt Hardy come to IWC in Pittsburgh, even though you knew he was part of WWE. It's just nice seeing semi-big names in small venues.

They could even develop (GASP) creative teams in the territory system.

I think this idea would be better suited for TNA once they get started on Spike, and get their name out the the casual wrestling fan. I don't think Vince feels he qould get much out of this, because if he wants someone he'll find a way to get them.

I think this idea would be better suited for TNA once they get started on Spike, and get their name out the the casual wrestling fan.  I don't think Vince feels he qould get much out of this, because if he wants someone he'll find a way to get them.

TNA has no desire to help the NWA. They only wanted the NWA titles.

I think this is an absolutely idiotic idea.

Casual fans don't remember the NWA or even know it exists. This isn't 1997-98 when wrestling was popular. NO ONE CARES.

Casual fans don't know what OVW is.

So right there, you're going to spend MONEY to purchase a worthless company like the National Wrestling Alliance when you already own a farm league which you could promote under a different name?

"Buy the NWA?" My DVD collection is worth more.

I don't think you would have to worry about independent promoters not wanting to be associated with WWE, it's WWE wanting to be associated with independent promoters that would probably be the tougher move. Why would WWE want to associated themselves with promotions that could possibly steal some of their fanbase? Not to mention that if the average fan typed in "Ring of Honor" to find information on the promotion one of the first items to be listed would probably be about Rob Feinstein. Definitely not something people like Vince McMahon would like to be associated with.

I think the number of fans who only watch indies and don't watch any WWE or TNA is few and far between. Basically, this idea is an extension of the talent exchanges WWE did with SMW and ECW, and I don't recall either of those companies posing a serious threat to WWE's popularity.

It's a good idea. If a guy like Billy Gunn can boost attendance for an indy after he's released, you know promoters would be all for having contracted WWE performers showing up. Plus, it would be financial stability for these promotions as well. WWE could help them swing local TV deals, etc. It would be a cheap move for WWE, too.

They already cherry-pick whoever they want from indies. Most everyone they sign to deals is from some other indy promotion and then he goes to OVW to continue training. Most guys smarks like to see in indies are too small for WWE to have an interest in signing then.

Dumping a bunch of money into random promotions around the country so they can draw 300 people isn't going to work.