TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest rawmvp

Possible Location for WrestleMania 23

Guest rawmvp

"The Detroit News has an article online talking about the possibility of Ford Field (home of the Detroit Lions) being the venue for WrestleMania 23 in 2007. This will of course be a historic ‘Mania as it will be the 20th anniversary since the then WWF filled the Pontiac Silverdome with 78,000-93,000 fans, depending on which story that you believe."

Guest *KNK*

It would be a wise and logical move to book the venue here as for 2 reasons

1). The anniversary date of the biggest and most significant WM ever

2). You don't need to worry about not being able to "follow" up on the "93,000+" crowd simply by saying "The venue's capaticity wasnt as large as Silverdome"

The only negative? it's going right back to the same region that WM22 will take place.

Sounds like a good idea, plus isnt the Silverdome gone anyway? I thought I saw something that they tore it down earlier this year.

Guest *KNK*
Sounds like a good idea, plus isnt the Silverdome gone anyway? I thought I saw something that they tore it down earlier this year.

Yes. Hence that's why it would be hosted at Ford Field.

Yes. Hence that's why it would be hosted at Ford Field.

For nostalgia sake, it would have been fun to see it at the Silverdome, but I think if they even paper a huge chunk of the dome and make an entrance take up alot of extra room to not have to fill, there is no way they would have even come close to selling out that place anyway.

Silverdome's still there...I was at it Sunday for the Warped Tour.

I would go to Mania in Detroit.

I certainly would too. Good to hear the dome is still around too.

I'm not really him

Hah. I should have known that. It's just that Noah made a sick joke about Hogan body-slamming Andre's corpse at a future Wrestlemania on his audio show, Xtreme Mayhem a while back. His co-host, however, told him that Andre was cremated.

Oh, and "bootyface" is Noah Donish's crappy catchphrase, that's why I called you that.

Getting back on-topic, with WWE constantly having Wrestlemania in the same areas since the beginning (except for Detroit, where Wrestlemania hasn't been in a while), how slim are the chances of WWE taking Wrestlemania to newer cities like Charlotte, Atlanta, Las Vegas, etc.?

Guest *KNK*
I'm not really him

Hah. I should have known that. It's just that Noah made a sick joke about Hogan body-slamming Andre's corpse at a future Wrestlemania on his audio show, Xtreme Mayhem a while back. His co-host, however, told him that Andre was cremated.

Oh, and "bootyface" is Noah Donish's crappy catchphrase, that's why I called you that.

Getting back on-topic, with WWE constantly having Wrestlemania in the same areas since the beginning (except for Detroit, where Wrestlemania hasn't been in a while), how slim are the chances of WWE taking Wrestlemania to newer cities like Charlotte, Atlanta, Las Vegas, etc.?

Vegas hosted the historic WM IX.

IMO cities like Charlotte, St Louis, Atlanta, etc - no offense but they arent "stand out" to deserve a Mania. If Mania is going to be at a "regular" arena it has to hold some past nostalgic value, like a MSG or the arena in Chi-town, otherwise having it in only major markets or, at best, a pretty substantial stadium or something (EX: Safeco Field for Mania XIX) just makes more sense.

I'd LOVE it if they had a Mania, or even SummerSlam, at the Metrodome here in Minneapolis for what its worth.

I was under the impression that St. Louis was one of the big wrestling cities, plus didn't whatever broke the WM III attendance record happen here?

I was under the impression that St. Louis was one of the big wrestling cities, plus didn't whatever broke the WM III attendance record happen here?

Traditionally, I think it may be one of a handful of top wrestling cities, but that probably doesnt hold up anymore these days. We are talking more 30-40 years ago.

I have no idea what you are even talking about with the attendance record from Mania III broken, no WWE show ever has cracked that mark, be it 73,000 or 93,000.

Guest rawmvp

I think that if booked right -- and that's a BIG IF considering WWE's shitty creative team -- Sting vs. Austin/Undertaker/Rock or Austin vs. Goldberg has a chance to sell out the Silverdome or Ford Field. I would prefer Sting vs. Undertaker, though. Both characters are mysterious and paranormal. I could see Sting torment Undertaker for a year -- like he did with Hogan -- leading to the Mania encounter.

Guest Stunt Granny

I really don't think this is a "stadium show" era right now, unless something HUGE happens 18 months from now. I know Wrestlemania 8 in the RCA Dome was filled but weren't like 40% of the tickets comped?

Traditionally, I think it may be one of a handful of top wrestling cities, but that probably doesnt hold up anymore these days. We are talking more 30-40 years ago.

I have no idea what you are even talking about with the attendance record from Mania III broken, no WWE show ever has cracked that mark, be it 73,000 or 93,000.

not a WWE show, but something here broke the 98,000 indoor attendance record

Guest rawmvp

A Sting vs. Undertaker feud would draw huge. Especially if it's the Sting circa 1997 -- the one who never spoke, mentally manipulated his opponents, descended from the rafters, pointed a black bat at his adversaries...

The novelty in such a feud is that Undertaker, in WWF/E lore, has always been the one who tormented and played psychological games with his opponents. Having the tables turned, having Sting make the Undertaker look vulnerable in comparison, would draw very well, IMO. But it needs to be planned out very well.

Detroit is the one city I've ever been in that I was legitimately scared to walk around in. Maybe it was just the area around the Greyhound station that was bad, though (I had a 2 hour layover).

A Sting vs. Undertaker feud would draw huge. Especially if it's the Sting circa 1997 -- the one who never spoke, mentally manipulated his opponents, descended from the rafters, pointed a black bat at his adversaries...

The novelty in such a feud is that Undertaker, in WWF/E lore, has always been the one who tormented and played psychological games with his opponents. Having the tables turned, having Sting make the Undertaker look vulnerable in comparison, would draw very well, IMO. But it needs to be planned out very well.

You mean like the original Mankind/Taker feud in 96?

anyhow that woudl require Sting to be a heel, which he has never been since he made his name in WCW (I'm not counting the short 99 run cuz he was getting cheered anywaY), but since he would be perceived as an outsider (WCW guy) the fans would probably side with Taker anyhow.

However the actual match might suck big time, unless Stign can still bump like a madman.

But I am still intrigued.

I like when Mania is held in large arenas and stadiums. It really gives it a "big time" feel. Otherwise it feels like just another PPV. I think they could still fill or close to fill big stadiums like Ford Field now, I mean they filled Safeco 2 years ago.

If the crowd is as hot as it was in the silverdome it would make for a great time. But of course theres no Hulk-Andre match this time.

Guest rawmvp
You mean like the original Mankind/Taker feud in 96?

Sort of, but with a much different dynamic. Mankind was a fearless psycho who was practically impervious to pain; Sting is a mystical, paranormal figure who rarely speaks, and resides in the black shadows of stoicism. You know how the Undertaker taunts his opponents with white lightning, purple smoke, and bell tolls? Well, Sting would counteract that with black darkness, spontaneous appearances, the ominous pointing of his black bat, descenting from the rafters, the foreboding presence of the crow, his daunting theme music, etc.