TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
caboose

Why the hell does Canada love Hogan?

I just caught the repeat of RAW here in England, and after seeing the ovation Hogan was getting, I was left wondering why does Canada respond to Hogan like she does. If anything Hogan should be the default No.1 Heel in Canada for being red, white and blue. I personally don't recall a Canadian crowd ever shitting all over Hogan.

1) Has Hogan ever been booed by Canada, specifically outside the WCW nWo period?

(Though I'm not sure if WCW went to Canada much prior to Bret's arrival)

2)And just why do Canadians love Hogan so much?

Canadians have been more loyal to the WWE than Americans, even when the WWE was doing poorly in the states in the mid-90's, Canada was still a strong market for them. And we, like, NEVER got to see Hogan live. He'd rarely come up here to wrestle, so now when he does, all those fans who never got to see him a decade+ ago are making up for lost time.

There have been three 5 minute standing ovations in the history of Bell Centre/Molson Centre/Montreal Forum

1) Saku Koiv'us return after cancer.

2) Maurice Richard when the Forum closed.

3) Hogan after WMXVIII.

There's no debate how big he is and what he did for wrestling.

I don't like him, but I'm in the minority.

Plus, we generally dislike HBK, with whom he's fueding. Law of averages....

Guest Rrrsh
All Canadians secretly want to be Americans, and clinging onto Hogan's patriotism is the closest they'll ever get.

You can kiss the fattest part of my ass.

Guest Rrrsh
Canadians have been more loyal to the WWE than Americans, even when the WWE was doing poorly in the states in the mid-90's, Canada was still a strong market for them.  And we, like, NEVER got to see Hogan live.  He'd rarely come up here to wrestle, so now when he does, all those fans who never got to see him a decade+ ago are making up for lost time.

Buy this man a cigar.

I think it is also due to WM 6 where he may have lost to the Warrior but it was a really huge show done at the Sky Dome and I think Canadians still have a fond memory of it.

What Canadians need to remember is that during the Calgary-Tampa Stanley Cup, Hogan was cheering for Tampa was Canada's Lord and Savior was supporting the Flames.

They need hockey back, so they can forget about Hogan.

Steve Duemig, a freelance sportswriter, called Canadians hypocrites since some of them vacation in Florida, yet some rooted for Calgary during the Flames-Lightning Cup Final last June.

That's alll I got.

All Canadians secretly want to be Americans, and clinging onto Hogan's patriotism is the closest they'll ever get.

lies! lies! All lies! It's the other way around.

Okay, on topic to answer the question... I think it's the tie-in to Wrestlemania VI. Other than that, I honestly don't know.

They are hardcore WWf/E fans, and anyone who was in WWF years ago is gonna get a big pop there,especialy Hogan (and considering how few times he actually wrsetled in canada) . I remember Curt Hennig getting a monster pop and face ovation at WCW Mayhem 99 which was in Toronto I think.

A large percentage of the Canadian crowd starting watching wrestling in the 80s with the WWF and most of them are still watching, unlike in the US. NWA/WCW had no penetration up here at all. Therefore the nostalgia factor is so much greater up here than in the US. Practically anybody who was a WWF superstar in the 80s would get a big pop up here (Hogan, Savage, Dibiase, you name it), and since Hogan was the biggest of them all, he gets the biggest pop.

A large percentage of the Canadian crowd starting watching wrestling in the 80s with the WWF and most of them are still watching, unlike in the US.  NWA/WCW had no penetration up here at all.  Therefore the nostalgia factor is so much greater up here than in the US.  Practically anybody who was a WWF superstar in the 80s would get a big pop up here (Hogan, Savage, Dibiase, you name it), and since Hogan was the biggest of them all, he gets the biggest pop.

Thats what I was trying to say

I agree 100 percent

If the Canadian fans knew Hogan's true (negative) feelings about Bret Hart do you think they would still love Hogan so much?

I don't like him, but I'm in the minority.

They are also cheering the FACE CHARACTER not the real life person. And last time I checked the Face character Hulk Hogan is still one of the most well known and beloved in the history of pro wrestling

I mean many people still invision Hulk Hogan when they hear the words "pro wrestling"

You know, some people just plain enjoy being marks. Does it matter that Terry Bolliea sides with the way the things went down in Montreal? No, not really because he had nothing to DO WITH MONTREAL! Just a guy offering an opinion about one of the major events in pro wrestling history

Steve