TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TNABaddboi

New Rules for TNA Wrestlers

TNA is enforcing a contract stipulation that will prohit workers from working certain shows. Here's the PWInsider report:

During a pre-PPV meeting last weekend, TNA officials informed their wrestlers that from this point forward, they would not be permitted to appear on independent wrestling events that would be released on DVD via national retail chains such as Best Buy. With their own DVDs about to be released nationally via the Navarre Corporation, TNA wants to insure that their contracted performers aren't competing against themselves in the marketplace. TNA officials made it clear to the wrestlers that they understand the importance of working the independent scene on their bottom line and DVDs that were released in house by indy groups (such as CZW, FIP and ROH) would not fall under the umbrella. I am under the impression that this would only go into effect for future events, so if an indy group has footage they have stockpiled in the past, this new edict wouldn't effect them. While I will understand the point of view of independent promoters who will be upset about the edict, I don't blame TNA for protecting their assets in the marketplace as it would totally be a conflict of interest for the company to release a Best of Shark Boy, for example, when four other indy groups are compiling their matches for similar projects and selling them via the same platform.

Also, Mike Johnson is reporting that Chris Sabin might miss some ring time.

Chris Sabin suffered some form of injury to his jaw at the Impact! tapings in Orlando, Florida. At one point, it was feared that he may have broken it, but I don't have confirmation yet on the severity of the injury. Sabin is scheduled to face Petey Williams and Elix Skipper in a Three-Way Dance in Charlotte, North Carolina tomorrow at the NWA Legends convention, although it's likely he will be pulled from that bout.

Thoughts? I think the DVD deal makes good business sense. It doesn't stop the guys from working the higher profile, and thus high paying, indys, and it helps make TNA's shelf product more unique. I don't see there being much backlash to this.

Ummmm...what other feds release DVD's in stores? I haven't seen many, in fact I don't think I've seen any when I look with the exception of like XPW, and CZW DVD's...

Ummmm...what other feds release DVD's in stores? I haven't seen many, in fact I don't think I've seen any when I look with the exception of like XPW, and CZW DVD's...

I think it serves as more of a forewarning so that the wrestlers won't get their hopes up.

What's bad for TNA is that groups like CZW and ROH don't have consistent distribution deals. But there's always a chance they'll be renewed, which would allow them to release older footage of course.

So what group(s) or cities TNA wrestlers can't work for?

No one is really getting hit by this right now. As I said, I think it's just a note for the future so wrestlers and the internet fans don't get angry when some group with a big money-backer pops up and they're suddenly told not to work for them.

However, they're "best of" compilations, very little footage of which is younger than a year old, so that apparently doesn't count as they don't distribute their events nationally.

How many were there? Because I have the three I've been able to find (Aerial Assault, Scarred, and Xtreme Action), with two being great (Aerial Assault, Xtreme Action) and one being dull and boring (Scarred).