TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ronixis

TNA and UFC Joining Forces?

Guest Ronixis

-This...

Don't be surprised if you see TNA and UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship) tied in together on Spike TV, once TNA hits the network with their Saturday night show. The Wrestling Observer Newsletter reports that there are definite ideas of using the two companies together, for cross promotion purposes.

One idea that's been thrown around is having former UFC and WWF title holder Ken Shamrock, as well as former UFC title holder Tito Ortiz on the new TNA shows, and pushing their appearances heavily on Spike TV commercials in order to capture the growing UFC fan base on Spike. Both Ortiz and Shamrock have already appeared for TNA in the past. Shamrock and Ortiz have been going back and forth at each other for years on TV, pay per view, and the internet. If the two were both in the same ring at the same time in TNA, and put in a match together or even just given some microphones, it could definitely turn some heads in TNA's direction.

Due to the fact that Spike TV is the one selling advertising for the TNA show, Spike does have a financial interest in the show succeeding, unlike Fox Sports Net. So expect to see TNA given an ample amount advertising on Spike throughout the day, most heavily during UFC shows.

Speaking of UFC, the third season of The Ultimate Fighter will be filmed from mid-October through November. It will most likely begin airing in January.

www.wrestlezone.com Via The Obsever.

Odd how they fail to point out that Shamrock was also a former NWA Champion.

And I'd love to see UFC put over TNA after their recent "wrestling is fake, UFC is real" ads.

yes, that was Battle Dome. It was actually pretty cool, if you ever did watch it. It combined wrestling and American Gladiators. There was a guy on there who has gone on to play in some moves. He was the guy called, T-Money, I think. He played on Friday After Next as the convict who tried to get some action from the mini-pimp. lol I've seen him in other shows too, but I can't remember them off of the top of my head.

Not sure what Dana White would think of a cross-promotional idea, since he doesnt want wrestling particularly associated with the UFC, plus if TNA is involved with Ortiz, there is some legitimate hatred with White and Ortiz right now.

So basically if this happens its TNA and Spike working against the UFC in trying to tie in programming to them likely.

Guest Brian

Well, right now, like Red said, UFC and Tito have some pretty big bridges that they've burnt (on both ends) and I doubt Dana's going to set up camp working with a wrestling company. Spike might put together ads on UFC programing using Ortiz and Shamrock, both of whom were draws, but UFC will likely not want to work directly with TNA. I just don't see any benefit for Dana and the UFC at this point.

I can see them airing ads during the other's show, having TNA guys sit in the UFC audiences and vice verse as well as possibly plugging one another (I can already hear Tenay saying "... And don't go anywhere because if you want to keep watching real athletes like you are seeing here, The Ultimate Fighter is up next!") but given how hard Zuffa has tried to present the UFC as a legitimate combat sport I can't see many interpromotional dealings coming about.

Not sure what Dana White would think of a cross-promotional idea, since he doesnt want wrestling particularly associated with the UFC, plus if TNA is involved with Ortiz, there is some legitimate hatred with White and Ortiz right now.

When did this happen? I don't track the inside news of MMA but the last time I saw Ortiz was when he basically went into business for himself challenging either Liddell or Couture for the LHW Title. What's changed?

When did this happen? I don't track the inside news of MMA but the last time I saw Ortiz was when he basically went into business for himself challenging either Liddell or Couture for the LHW Title. What's changed?

That's part of the reason between the bad blood between White and Ortiz, I believe. The main juggernaut has been Ortiz demanding a ridiculous amount of money per apperarance at this point.