TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kurt Angle Mark

JLU Season 3 starts September 17th

I was all so fucking rushed.

I depise CN. There has to be someway that there can be a petition to bring back JLU on another channel. Either that or everyone and their cousin needs to buy the JLU DVD sets.

Oh yeah. Who was the Captain America ripoff?

Either the original Commander Steel, or his grandson (who was a member of the League during the "Justice League Detroit" era).

Guest InuYasha

...and so ends one of the better animated series on Television.

ABout the only thing that can compare to JLU in the animated sense would be the 90's Batman animated series, the 60's Spider-Man series, and the 90's X-Men series. Just about everything else seems bland in comparision.

ABout the only thing that can compare to JLU in the animated sense would be the 90's Batman animated series, the 60's Spider-Man series, and the 90's X-Men series. Just about everything else seems bland in comparision.

I have fond memories of the Spidey 60's cartoon, but I liked the 90's series better. That could be just me, though.

B000F4RH8O.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_V54829944_.jpg

June 20th, 2005

BUY IT!

Good--they went Batman TAS style on them with 4 1-sided discs. The half-ass approach with S:TAS (where one disc is double-sided and ridiculously prone to scratches) annoyed me.

EDIT: Season 2? Nuts. I guess I need to find Season 1 then. I didn't know it was out.

Yeah Season 1 was released back in late march or early April.

At least I was correct in guessing that Sinestro's ring saved them during the explosion.

They never reaally explained how they survived the explosion. I am guessing that Sinestro used his ring to protect them while in space.

I thought it was pretty clearly explained when Supes asked Luthor about it. The rogues where drifting in space inside Sinestro's energy bubble until Lightray (from the New Gods) appeared to help them and they apparently stole his Mother Box and returned to Earth.

It was a cool battle, but it needed an hour. At least we got the motherfucking Creeper in a couple scenes. And can you say deus ex machina?

Totally agreed that it needed a one hour series finale. While extremely cool, the final battle still felt somewhat rushed. Deus ex machina? You could say that, but everyone that knows his DC history (New Gods in particular) are aware that Darkseid's lifelong search has been to solve the riddle of the Anti-life Equation, so it goes to figure he'll take it if offered on a silver platter.

They never reaally explained how they survived the explosion. I am guessing that Sinestro used his ring to protect them while in space.

I thought it was pretty clearly explained when Supes asked Luthor about it. The rogues where drifting in space inside Sinestro's energy bubble until Lightray (from the New Gods) appeared to help them and they apparently stole his Mother Box and returned to Earth.

It was a cool battle, but it needed an hour. At least we got the motherfucking Creeper in a couple scenes. And can you say deus ex machina?

Totally agreed that it needed a one hour series finale. While extremely cool, the final battle still felt somewhat rushed. Deus ex machina? You could say that, but everyone that knows his DC history (New Gods in particular) are aware that Darkseid's lifelong search has been to solve the riddle of the Anti-life Equation, so it goes to figure he'll take it if offered on a silver platter.

If you looked at the date that I typed mentioning Sinestro, you would notice that I made that statement before the final episode.

Guest InuYasha

I have fond memories of the Spidey 60's cartoon, but I liked the 90's series better. That could be just me, though.

Yeah, the 90's Spidey series was good. I forgot about it.

I forgot to mention this earlier...did anyone else catch the "Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends" reference?

You mean when that Ice girl transformed herself in the same way Iceman used to in the cartoon? Fire probably did something similar to Firestar also but I don't quite remember. I thought it was weird she turned into Fire while in the pool, though.

You mean when that Ice girl transformed herself in the same way Iceman used to in the cartoon?

Bingo.

AICN has a review of the Superman TAS home video movie.

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=23450

Apparently it makes absolutely no reference to anything that's ever happened on Justice League.

You mean when that Ice girl transformed herself in the same way Iceman used to in the cartoon?

Bingo.

AICN has a review of the Superman TAS home video movie.

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=23450

Apparently it makes absolutely no reference to anything that's ever happened on Justice League.

I thought it was supposed to take place before the Justice League series..

Guest ken adams

JLU used a ton of DC characters, but I never saw Firestorm.

Has anything ever been said by anyone on why he was never used?

Bird Boy, at WorldsFinestOnline, also reviewed the new direct to video Superman movie. He ripped it a new one and said Mystery of the Batwoman was better.

http://worldsfinestonline.com/WF/superman/...rainiacattacks/

Hey..I *liked* Mystery of the Batwoman...a little bit.

Me too, but it was never intended to have much dramatic weight to it. Liked the music, definitely. However, set beside Mask of the Phantasm and Subzero it really does fall quite short even as far as action scenes.

Any allegations that Tara Strong "ruined" Mercy has to do more with the writing than her, though.

"The once cold Brainiac is now expressing his emotions like Data in Star Trek, Lex is flailing his arms around like a six year old and Mercy is now a blonde who giggles like Marilyn Monroe."

"Jimmy Olson...is oogling the hundreds of images he took of Mercy Graves."

Definitely sounds like the writing and direction to me. Did somebody get a concussion and mix up Mercy with Harley?

Guest ken adams
JLU used a ton of DC characters, but I never saw Firestorm.

Has anything ever been said by anyone on why he was never used?

Found my own answer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Characters_ap...ould_not_appear

It says :

Firestorm, the Ronnie Raymond version, cannot appear as DC Comics did not allow the producers to include the classic version of Firestorm in the show; this is likely due to a new person (Jason Rusch) assuming the role of Firestorm in the comics, and DC Comics not wanting viewers to confuse two versions of the character introduced at the same time.

There was also an Aquaman embargo. Who knew? Shows you what a joke they thought that was when they created Devil Ray, ie Black Manta.

The link also mentions Spectre.

I knew about the Aquaman embargo. I believe that was because of the ill-fated Aquaman show they were planning. It would have been hard to do the Spectre, though. They would have had to come up with a threat that would warrant the need to introduce him. I was most disappointed in not seeing Black Adam make an appearance in the series.

Flash's Luthor--still better than the "Brainiac Attacks" Luthor.

Okay, I expected it to be bad...but holy crap, that was sad.

No kidding a few minutes in and I was really sick of hearing Luthor's voice. He sounded like a frat boy instead of a badass businessman that you don't fuck with. Like one review said he seem like he be better suited for the Richard Donner Superman films.

Same goes for Mercy and Brainiac.

You could always get used to the voices--I thought Mercy's voice was okay (it is Tara afterall), and it's not like Lance Henriksen and Powers Booth are amateurs. However, the new voices also signified an apparent change in all the characters' personality, *plus* the poor direction, *plus* the bad plot, *plus* the terrible dialogue. The folks involved could do better, but apparently they just didn't care.

I wouldn't even say this Luthor was like the Donner Luthor. He's more like Elmer Fudd without a speech impediment.

I'd say the biggest blame falls on writer Dwayne Capizzi, also responsible for TEH BATMAN, a series so bad it needed Dracula to make it worth watching.

Season 2 of "Justice League" is out today, and costs anywhere between $32 and $36, depending where you go. 26 episodes in non-anamorphic widescreen, 3 commentaries, and one 10-minute behind the scenes feature. The crew pretty much admits they didn't think much of the show's very first season, either.

As slow as these things are coming out, I doubt we'll be getting the 3 seasons of JLU anytime soon.

The final volume of Superman: the Animated Series also came out today, but I haven't picked it up yet.

I bought volume two today, and have immensely enjoyed it more than volume one. Some of my favorites so far have been "Twlight", "Hereafter", "Wild Card", and "A Better World". Volume two also features one of the best Batman/Joker fights that I have ever seen.

I almost bought Superman - TAS: Volume 3 today, but bought the 1978 motion picture instead. I haven't seen much of the Superman The Animated Series (except for World's Finest), but there's always next time.

"Wild Card" was the fucking shit.

"Will Green Lantern ever admit to his feelings? Will Hawkgirl ever stop sublimating her passions with that big honkin' mace? Will true love conquer all? Not on my show!"

"The suspense is killling me - of course, it's going to be the explosions that kill them."

Volume 3 of Superman: TAS includes the DCAU debuts of Supergirl, Aquaman, Kyle Rayner, the Legion of the Super-Heroes, as well as most of the better Darkseid episodes, and a couple of Batman team-ups.