TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jonathon

Millar and Hitch's "Ultimates" Replacement...

Newsarama is reporting that none other than Jeph Loeb and Joe Maderuera will be taking over "ultimates 3" in the second quarter of 2k6.

I hate Mad's art with a passion. I would have liked to see JG Jones or even Finch do this title.

Total opposites for Millar and HItch, if you ask me. I thought Loeb was DC exclusive? I like Madureira's art but I think he's too manga for this title. Guess we'll have to see some artwork previews to really tell. It's a shame 'cause I was liking Hitch's art more and more each issue.

Guest JMA
Total opposites for Millar and HItch, if you ask me. I thought Loeb was DC exclusive? I like Madureira's art but I think he's too manga for this title. Guess we'll have to see some artwork previews to really tell. It's a shame 'cause I was liking Hitch's art more and more each issue.

He signed with Marvel. This whole situation is kind of funny when the current Superman/Batman arc has the two fighting characters based on the Ultimates. I haven't really been collecting it since I don't care for McGuinness' artwork.

A crappy xmen run during the 90's. He made "manga" a household word among mainstream comic nerds like me back in the day. I positively HATE his art.

If I had to pick a decent replacement team, I'd go with Grant Morrison (JLA, Authority, New XMen) and David (?) Finch (New Avengers).

I don't have a problem with manga-style, so Mads on this doesn't bother me, except for the fact that the schedule of the book, which is already tenuous (even with the bimonthly status), won't improve with him doing the artwork.

I'm actually more concerned about Loeb on this. Ever since Hush, I've grown to like him less and less, and I was never really that big of a fan of his to begin with.

Guest JMA

DC needs to sign Millar once he finishes up with Marvel. It's a known fact that he's more interested in writing DC characters than Marvel ones (he's said so himself). Unfortunately, there's some problems preventing this from happening.

This team is like a complete 180 from the original team.

Joe Mad's art is going to be difficult for some Ultimates fans to swallow I imagine. Loeb needs to pull something good out of his ass with this book after shitting the bed with Hush.

What is Joe Maderuera known for?

Drew Uncanny X-Men on and off from 1994-1998 and became uber famous for his manga-inspired artwork. Then he pissed away his fame and credibility away by going to Wildstorm and publishing Battlechasers, which came out once a year as Joe Mad proudly proclaimed that playing his Playstation and drawing anime characters for assorted magazines was more important than comics.

DC needs to sign Millar once he finishes up with Marvel. It's a known fact that he's more interested in writing DC characters than Marvel ones (he's said so himself). Unfortunately, there's some problems preventing this from happening.

Won't happen; DC doesn't want Millar since Millar won't come back unless he has total and complete control over the Superman franchise, which won't happen since Millar has stated that if he ever HAD control over the Superman franchise that he would erase the last twenty years from canon and plunge the franchise back into the shit era of the 1960s Superman.....

...why?

Why would Millar want to do that? If anything, he should just try to build off what Alan Moore was going with when he wrote Superman (makes the villains more dangerous and Superman more vulnerable).

I'm convinced Millar's on drugs now if this news is true.

...why? 

Why would Millar want to do that?  If anything, he should just try to build off what Alan Moore was going with when he wrote Superman (makes the villains more dangerous and Superman more vulnerable).

I'm convinced Millar's on drugs now if this news is true.

He's not on drugs so much as he's an egomaniac who thinks he can do whatever he wants, damn the people who have to buy the fucking book, and has a martyr complex that says he can't have anyone tell him "no" without having his creativity repressed...

Guest JMA
Why is he fascinated by the Silver Age Superman stories though?

From what I've read from him on Millarworld, he misses Superman being portrayed as "the best," so to speak. I tend to agree with him. I much prefer Superman being the first and best super-hero rather than being a whiny, one-note farmboy with powers. Few writers really get Superman today--I think Millar is one of the few who does (along with guys like Morrison, Busiek, ect). However, Millar doesn't want to tell the same kinds of stories that were done in the past, he basically wants to use the elements in a modern sense. That's the vibe I get from him, anyway. I think he WILL eventually get to write Superman (with Hitch) and it'll most likely do very well.

In a perfect world, Alan Moore would've had the job of rebooting Superman after Crisis. But that, obviously, isn't what happened.

Moore's Superman is fucking overrated. Byrne, for all of his sins, did the right thing about Superman and having read some of Moore's Supreme (AKA his Superman fanfiction Moore convinced Rob Liefeld to publish) he would have kept the same old bullshit that ruined Superman going.

As for Millar, he's publically said that he wants to make Superman outright be Jesus and God knows that given Millar did with Authority regarding religion plus the Authority version of Superman, he'd make Superman a walking punching bag complete with Batman shooting Superman in the eye with a Kryptonite bullet so he could stick his dick into Supes bleeding eye socket and skullfuck him for shits and giggles.

Guest JMA

I pretty much agree wholeheartedly with Alan Moore when it comes to Superman. In his own words:

"Superman himself seems to have been a bit lost for a number of years, it's not the character I remember. What made the character appealing to me has been stripped away in a tide of revisionism. Given that I was somebody who sort of helped bring in the trend of revisionism in comics, I've got to take some of the blame for that. But it seems to me that there might have been a case of the baby being thrown out with the bathwater with the original Superman."

"What it was with Superman was the incredible range of imagination on display with that original character. A lot of those concepts that were attached to Superman were wonderful. The idea of the Bottled City of Kandor, Krypto the Superdog, Bizarro, all of it. These are fantastic ideas, and it was that which kept me going back each month to Superman when I was ten. I wanted to find out more about this incredible world with all of these fascinating details."

Personally, I'd like to see a Superman that resembled Moore's version of Supreme--only with much better art (it's very inconsistent--a flaw of nineties era comics) and with some of the old concepts toned down a bit. I guarantee that Moore's Superman would not be full of self-doubt and constantly have to ask others for advice. His Superman would be both noble and confident. That's the way Superman SHOULD be, IMO.

That being said, there are some writers in the last few years who have written Superman very well. The important thing is for there to be someone who loves the character and doesn't want to change him writing the books. You can't just get someone who wants to mold the character in his own image.

"What it was with Superman was the incredible range of imagination on display with that original character. A lot of those concepts that were attached to Superman were wonderful. The idea of the Bottled City of Kandor, Krypto the Superdog, Bizarro, all of it. These are fantastic ideas, and it was that which kept me going back each month to Superman when I was ten. I wanted to find out more about this incredible world with all of these fascinating details."

Because comics should only appeal to ten year olds of the 1960s? Those characters he mentioned were ridicules ideas that just don't work here in 2005.

Guest Prodigy

some Joe Mad sketches:

cap1.jpg

hulk.jpg

You can found some more at http://www.joemadfan.com/. You can tell that Mad has toned his style down a bit, but it's still distinctively his art style. I think they look pretty good.

I'd rather see a more realistic style on this book, given the book's serious tone. It would be like having Jim Lee do the artwork for "Maus". The style contradicts what the book is supposed to be.