TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Fökai

News on SD! Friday debut...

From Da Meltz...

The 9/9 Smackdown show is scheduled to air from 9-10 p.m. due to the concert planned at 8 p.m. to benefit victims of Hurricane Katrina. It should be noted that benefit concerts notoriously go overtime, and many UPN stations have 10 p.m. newscasts.

The fund raising show for Hurricane Katrina victims has been announced for all six networks on 9/9, the same date as the planned debut of Friday Smackdown. It will be a one hour commercial free concert at 8 p.m. At this point we're awaiting word on what this will mean for the debut of Smackdown. It is possible it could air in a one hour format that night. 9-11 p.m. would be difficult because so many UPN affiliates run 10 p.m. newscasts.

Guest Frank_Nabbit

MNM vs LOD - 5 mins plus intros

Eddy/Rey - 12 mins + intros

Bastista/JBL - 8 mins + intros...

Throw in the backstage stuff and there's your hour

Plus Benoit/Jordan, and the Orton stuff. This wouldn't be so bad if they hadn't announced FOUR matches already, plus another segment.

With all those matches and so little time, the WWE might be forced to have a TV show that's actually focused almost entirely on wrestling rather than superfluous bullshit, that should be nice for a change. Though i suppose it's more likely every match will get zero time in order to fit in the usual bunch of sub-standard interviews and backstage segments instead.

Not sure if it's possible or not, but WWE may want to consider doing two TV tapings for SD in Atlanta on Tuesday for the next two weeks, and really do the "big show" they had lined up the week after instead. I say that since I dont think there is anyway they can do justice to 4 promoted matches (2 of which are heavy gimmick matches too) and a significant in ring segment, all in just one hour. Plus there is a significant chance the concert thing might cut into their hour too somewhat. They should just tape a solid hour show with a few notable matches, a promo by whoever, and backstage stuff to air on Friday, more as a vehicle to hard sell next week's show, and then stick to their plan for the "big" 2 hour show the week after in the right time of the night it was supposed to be scheduled originally.

If this concert is slated to start at 8PM...then Smackdown WILL TOTALLY be preempted her. Great way to start the systematic death of Smackdown...

So Smackdown will be pre-empted completely for several weeks in New York, Boston, Washington DC, San Fransisco among other smaller markets and the rest of the country that does get it will probably have it cut an hour short? YAY WWE!

Bleh..its not like you aren't going to get to watch it at all. It will air at some point..probably in a better time slot than 8pm on a friday..

--

My TIVO has

8PM Shelter from the Storm

9PM Friday Night Smackdown - (2005) 3 titles on the line, steel cage match, bull rope match, Orton vs The Undertaker

10PM Orioles @ Mariners

---

My guess is, Taker vs Orton doesn't happen (I dont even think it was announced as a match, but a confrontation). Im assuming the 3rd title match was going to be a US Title match? That probably wont happen..They can get those 3 big matches in an hour, so I wouldn't worry about it. It will probably make for a better show anyway if theres no filler.

Guest *KNK*
Couldn't they have had the concert during Everybody Hates Chris?  No one's going to miss it.

Reviewers are saying that EHC is one of the top 3-5 new shows this season, although sticking it on Thursday is going to have it canceled due to low ratings before the year is over..

Exactly and besides, the networks are all involved here, Friday is meaningless.

But yes, They should reschedule this benifit concert to please Wrestling Fans.

Guest wildpegasus

But what about the Canadian or other international fans? People aren't thinking about them with all this talk about switching the card up. Why should they have to suffer just because the show is going to be preempted in the States?

But what about the Canadian or other international fans? People aren't thinking about them with all this talk about switching the card up. Why should they have to suffer just because the show is going to be preempted in the States?

That's what you get for not living in the U.S. The world revolves around us.

Guest Ransome

For a SD that was only 1½ hours in America two years ago, here in Australia they just stuck Brock vs Kurt Angle from Summerslam 2003 onto the end of the episode. I imagine they'll fill the hour with either Summerslam matches or just recap clips this time also.

Who knows...they might end up doing something like a "clip show", like they do for Experience/Velocity etc. not showing the match in full, or at least cutting the longer ones short or something.

Maybe they could do Benoit vs. Jordan as another 20-second squash? then do the other matches to fill the rest of the hour (the Tag Title match could be 3 or 4 minutes?)

Maybe they could do Benoit vs. Jordan as another 20-second squash? then do the other matches to fill the rest of the hour (the Tag Title match could be 3 or 4 minutes?)

If they keep this up, Benoit is going to need OJ to trip getting in the ring so he can put the crossface on to beat the previous time..

Guest Brian

You guys only have to suffer through one hour of SmackDown instead of two.

Guest nokia

WWE.com has announced that the first hour of Friday Night Smackdown! will be available to view online at the website. The second hour featuring Rey vs. Eddie in a steel cage and JBL vs. Batista in a Texas Bull Rope match for the World Heavyweight Championship, will still air at 9 p.m. on UPN this Friday

Meltzer has speculated that a JBL title win could be possible, due to Batista not having to get pinned to lose the belt and WWE wanting to establish the new timeslot.

So, to establish the timeslot, they are thinking of putting the title back on a guy who everyone (almost all marks and over half the IWC) hated as champion?

I guess if you want to establish the timeslot as something to NOT watch on TV, then this is a great idea.

JBL gets heat...and not the bad kind of "get this guy off my TV 'cause he sucks so bad." It's the good kind of "I hate this guy and I want someone to beat him."

Batista is kind of stale right now...JBL winning the title would at least let Batista chase after the title again. The chase is more interesting then the reign for a face champion anyway.

Also...could someone explain to me why OJ is getting another US Title shot? Even in kayfabe terms, he doesn't deserve one...that much should be obvious. Is he just going to submit right away when the bell rings this time?

I hope that Meltzer is wrong in this case.

Cause the plan I would LOVE to see is Batista win, then the Network guy come out, say he's done something good for the network's view of Smackdown...and a re-hired Lesnar comes out and beats down Batista.

Also...could someone explain to me why OJ is getting another US Title shot? Even in kayfabe terms, he doesn't deserve one...that much should be obvious. Is he just going to submit right away when the bell rings this time?

Kafabe Explaination: Jor-Dan challenged Benoit, and Benoit, being the fighting competitor that he is, accepted.