TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TheInsane

What would you change in WWE today

Guest JMA
One team to add to your thing JMA...if just for a short while:

The Rockers (Shawn Michaels & Marty Jannetty)

...I'm sure WWE could bail Marty out if they wanted to.

Agreed.

-Wrestlers with different looks/attires. It gets boring to see half the roster having short hair and generic trunks/attire that doesn't look right on certain wrestlers. It's even worse when longer-haired wrestlers except HHH and HBK are told to cut their hair short (unless some needed it, like Christian, whose hair is thinning. HBK needs one, too.).

-Different characters. This could somewhat fall under "different looks/attires", but why do Rob Conway, Sylvain Grenier, and Doug Basham all have the same "sunglasses-wearing, cocky bastard" character? Next, we'll be seeing Damaja/Danny Basham with a similar character on Heat or Raw at this rate.

Gay characters (Heart Throbs as Billy & Chuck 2.0) and narcissist gimmicks ("The Reflection of Perfection" Mark Jindrak, who's gone, and Chris "The Masterpiece" Masters) need to go, too.

-No more bait-and-switch Raw/Smackdown previews. Even though none of us were looking forward to the Masterlock Challenge last week with HBK, at least do what's previewed for THAT show, WWE.

Guest JMA

- This is a small thing, but there are too many name puns in WWE today. Sure, you can justify a lot of them and there definitely should be some. However, things like "the Con-Way" aren't that good.

Guest JMA

The sad thing is that the whole "conman" gimmick would be great for Conway if they actually had him con people and had him stop acting gay. Why hasn't he been getting money off of his fellow wrestlers with crooked games and tricks? You could even have him refer to the audience as "marks" and not have it be a shoot comment.

The sad thing is that the whole "conman" gimmick would be great for Conway if they actually had him con people and had him stop acting gay. Why hasn't he been getting money off of his fellow wrestlers with crooked games and tricks? You could even have him refer to the audience as "marks" and not have it be a shoot comment.

Yes, that is exactly the direction I thought they'd go in with the gimmick originally. Rene Dupree could over hear him commenting to others in the locker room how he "conned" Dupree into the idea that he was a french sympathizer. You know, they could have fun with him the "conman" constantly pulling one over on others on the roster. Instead they make him Buff Bagwell II.

Another thing.... that interview that was just posted on wwe.com . Did anyone notice how much better Conway was on the mic and how the character was slightly more effective than on TV, probably because his lines weren't completely scripted for him?

I posted this elsewhere, but this would be how I'd cut the number down to 9 and set them up:

January - Royal Rumble

February - Nothing, giving them two months to set up Wrestlemania. No Way Out has never been a great PPV.

March - Wrestlemania

April - Backlash (RAW PPV)

May - Taboo Tuesday (since May seems like a slow month, put TT here to spice it up. This would be RAW's "Marquee" PPV, but I'd also think about making this a dual brand PPV)

June - Great American Bash (SD's "Marquee" PPV)

July - Nothing, giving two months of Summerslam buildup

August - Summerslam

September - Unforgiven (SD PPV)

October - Nothing, to set up Survivor Series

November - Survivor Series

December - Nothing, or perhaps a $20 "Best of" two or three hour show recapping the year's top angles and highlighting the best PPV/TV matches (uninterrupted by commercials like on the Year-End RAWs) of the year?

Guest Ransome
I posted this elsewhere, but this would be how I'd cut the number down to 9 and set them up:

January - Royal Rumble

February - Nothing, giving them two months to set up Wrestlemania.  No Way Out has never been a great PPV.

March - Wrestlemania

April - Backlash (RAW PPV)

May - Taboo Tuesday (since May seems like a slow month, put TT here to spice it up.  This would be RAW's "Marquee" PPV, but I'd also think about making this a dual brand PPV)

June - Great American Bash (SD's "Marquee" PPV)

July - Nothing, giving two months of Summerslam buildup

August - Summerslam

September - Unforgiven (SD PPV)

October - Nothing, to set up Survivor Series

November - Survivor Series

December - Nothing, or perhaps a $20 "Best of" two or three hour show recapping the year's top angles and highlighting the best PPV/TV matches (uninterrupted by commercials like on the Year-End RAWs) of the year?

I don't think this would work. You have only two RAW-only pay-per-views in the whole year, yet they're in back to back months? Also, given that the 'Best Of' recap shows tend to be the lowest rated Raws of the entire year, I think a pay-per-view solely devoted to it would sell poorly; in theory, the only people that would normally buy such a PPV would be the diehards who order every PPV, but logic would dictate that they'd have already seen all the matches on the recap PPV anyway and wouldn't bother. Besides, as many others have said, WWE will sooner add more pay-per-views to their yearly calendar than subtract current ones.

-Wrestlers with different looks/attires.  It gets boring to see half the roster having short hair and generic trunks/attire that doesn't look right on certain wrestlers.  It's even worse when longer-haired wrestlers except HHH and HBK are told to cut their hair short (unless some needed it, like Christian, whose hair is thinning.  HBK needs one, too.).

-Different characters.  This could somewhat fall under "different looks/attires", but why do Rob Conway, Sylvain Grenier, and Doug Basham all have the same "sunglasses-wearing, cocky bastard" character?  Next, we'll be seeing Damaja/Danny Basham with a similar character on Heat or Raw at this rate.

I think these points are essential actually. They need to establish the individual wrestlers better. So many people just look like eachother. Sometimes small things is enough like with RVD. You instantly see his, as JR would say, unorthodox trunks. This + a definite individual style makes him stand out. But to many people just feel so bland.

The point is also an important one for the tag team division. At times it works when two strong individuals team up (I was a fan of the relationship between Benoit and Angle in their team for instance) but most of the time I want the two wrestlers to look the same. They might be trying to re-establish that with Cade and Murdoch, Hurricane and Rosey, The Heart Throbs, MNM, LOD 2005 etc. Even Venis and Viscera does have the same type of gimmick at least. Now whn I listed it I see that many teams in WWE do look alike and its a great thing. Alot better than the chance pairings of random superstars. A team needs to feel like a team.

RE: PPV changes ...

How about instead of a year-end review and Taboo Tuesday in it's current form, they steal two ideas from the old NWA and do a "Battle Bowl" tournament and a one night, four man "Iron Man" tournament? Hell, since there's not enough tag teams to do a TT version, do a Raw one and Smackdown one in the same night.

EDIT: ignore the fact that VKM thinks that any else's ideas suck, obviously.

I like Taboo Tuesday with one major exception. It should be on Sunday night like every other PPV. I have no problem with the concept itself, but nobody is going to order a wrestling PPV during the week anymore. They discovered this with Survivor Series back in the mid 90s.

Something I would change about a PPV...if the rosters were together, that is.

Survivor Series: I'd have the entire card be Survivor Series matches...except for the last match of the evening. That match would be special: the survivors of all the previous matches would compete in it, and the WWE Championship would be on the line. So...let's say there's 5 Survivor Series style matches...4 men per team. You could have anywhere from 4 to 20 men compete in this last match...a pinfall and submission only battle royal, to become the Champ.

Would make Survivor Series mean something, and give more of a purpose to the Survivor Series Rules matches (which I like)

Hmmm...that would be somewhat interesting...if someone like Triple H was champ, and he still had his "Evolution" group as his team. He'd try and make sure his whole team made it to the finals to help him win and keep his title. It would be more interesting then when they do those stupid battle royals on TV where someone's title is on the line. At least this would give the impression that it's somewhat fair, since the champ has teammates and all. Of course, the other scenario could be that the champion is eliminated in his survivor series match, and then it would be automatic that there'd be a new champion in the battle royal.

As far as Taboo Tuesday, I like the concept of fans voting, since it's something different. I assume last year's show got a decent buy rate, since they're apparently bringing it back this year?

Hmmm...that would be somewhat interesting...if someone like Triple H was champ, and he still had his "Evolution" group as his team. He'd try and make sure his whole team made it to the finals to help him win and keep his title. It would be more interesting then when they do those stupid battle royals on TV where someone's title is on the line. At least this would give the impression that it's somewhat fair, since the champ has teammates and all. Of course, the other scenario could be that the champion is eliminated in his survivor series match, and then it would be automatic that there'd be a new champion in the battle royal.

Well, there's also the thing I liked from the 1995 Survivor Series...one match the team would picked out of random people.

Guest clockworkraven
Something I would change about a PPV...if the rosters were together, that is.

Survivor Series: I'd have the entire card be Survivor Series matches...except for the last match of the evening.  That match would be special: the survivors of all the previous matches would compete in it, and the WWE Championship would be on the line.  So...let's say there's 5 Survivor Series style matches...4 men per team.  You could have anywhere from 4 to 20 men compete in this last match...a pinfall and submission only battle royal, to become the Champ.

Would make Survivor Series mean something, and give more of a purpose to the Survivor Series Rules matches (which I like)

That'd be interesting. I can see a situation where a big guy's the last man left in his team and other wrestlers who are in the battle royal would run in and try to get him eliminated so they have an easier time in the royal.

Well, there's also the thing I liked from the 1995 Survivor Series...one match the team would picked out of random people.

Yea, the WILD CARD match from 1995 was very entertaining for me as a mark. You had HBK, Bulldog, and Sid on the same team with the debuting Ahmed Johnson and it was fun to see how HBK/Ahmed aligned against Bulldog/Sid. Plus, Cornette and DiBiase weren't sure if they could trust each other.

Meanwhile, you had Razor Ramon as the only face on the other side along with Owen Hart & Yokozuna and Ramon's enemy Dean Douglas. I loved it when HBK gave Sid a Sweet Chin Music when Ramon moved out of the way, shrugged his shoulders, and then after Sid was eliminated he powerbombed HBK.

It was just an interesting match b/c of all the rivalries that had been going on for most of the year and were suddenly thrown into one match. You didn't know if teammates would turn on each other or stick together to 'survive' the match. Also, that match was incredibly well booked b/c it made Ahmed look like a monster (eliminating Owen & Yokozuna) and made HBK appear like a resilient S.O.B. after taking a powerbomb and Razor's Edge and kicking out of both.

Yea, the WILD CARD match from 1995 was very entertaining for me as a mark. You had HBK, Bulldog, and Sid on the same team with the debuting Ahmed Johnson and it was fun to see how HBK/Ahmed aligned against Bulldog/Sid. Plus, Cornette and DiBiase weren't sure if they could trust each other.

Meanwhile, you had Razor Ramon as the only face on the other side along with Owen Hart & Yokozuna and Ramon's enemy Dean Douglas. I loved it when HBK gave Sid a Sweet Chin Music when Ramon moved out of the way, shrugged his shoulders, and then after Sid was eliminated he powerbombed HBK.

It was just an interesting match b/c of all the rivalries that had been going on for most of the year and were suddenly thrown into one match. You didn't know if teammates would turn on each other or stick together to 'survive' the match. Also, that match was incredibly well booked b/c it made Ahmed look like a monster (eliminating Owen & Yokozuna) and made HBK appear like a resilient S.O.B. after taking a powerbomb and Razor's Edge and kicking out of both.

Right, that was a very entertaining match.

I'd love for them to do something like that again. ...maybe combine it with my idea, as one of the matches has the teams chosen at random to try and survive for the title.

...one team could be Cena, Benoit, Triple H and JBL. >=D

I guess I am just too old school but I kind of like having one world champion and tag team champions. One per show kind of kills it for me. I kind of liked it when UT was champ and had to defend Jeff Hardy on Raw and then the same week deal with Angle on Smackdown. Have a blowoff match of current champs Batista and Cena and one of the Super Heroes and LOD to crown one champ and have them defend on both shows. It keeps the product more fresh because if the champ loses to a Smackdown guy then he has to stay on Smackdown and the champ has to defend on both. It would mean more work for the champs and more ppv defenses, but no one said being champion would be easy.