TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TheInsane

What would you change in WWE today

Ok here is what I would do (some is the same as what I said in the thread "Set change for"):

* Change the intro song for both RAW and SD since both suck.

* Let one of the brands have Japan like corners. That is not three padded things for each rope but one large covering the whole corner. I believe ROH uses this as well.

* Dont use a ramp on either RAW or SD. It should be used only at PPV's to make them look more special.

* RAW is RED. Sure thats the way its always been and while I dont think they should move away totally from that color scheme I think something new is needed.

* Maybe place the shows logo in the middle of the ring or on the turnbuckles/turnbuckle.

* Smaller entrance. This is a part of not using the big ramps. I was always a fan of the small entrance ways where the face made sure to touch ever fans hands and the heel would do everything to avoid them/ignore them.

* Hire writers who know what wrestling is all about. Fire the Hollywood writers. I want people who knows the business to do this job.

* Unite the two tag divisions and make it exclusive to one show.

* Stop trying to push a crusierweight division. Dont get me wrong I love the crusiers but as long as Vince is the head of WWE they wont get a fair chance. The crusiers would pair up in teams instead to make (the now single) tag division stronger. I think Vince would feel better pushing his lightweights as tag teams anyway. Kidman/London worked well for instance.

* Stop trying to push a womens division. WWE fired most of its female wrestlers anyway.

* Fire most of the Divas. What change is Torrie, Stacy, Ashle, Candice and Michelle McCool doing anyway? Keep the ones whoa ctually are important in some aspect to the product like Melinda.

* Less PPV's during a year. I liked when they had 4 "interpromotional" PPV's and then had 4 PPV's for each brand during a year. I believe this was just after the seperation of RAW and SD.

* Let WarGames, Hell in a Cell or the Elimination Chamber be PPV regulars. Like that you knew that the WarGames match would be on the Fall Brawl PPV. Just like the Royal Rumble match would be on The Royal Rumble.

* Dont waste big gimmick matches on the tv shows. A few years ago they had so much cage and ladder matches on free tv they werent even special anymore. I understand them pushing the move to Friday Nights with a big gimmick match but otherwise dont use it to much on free tv.

* Dont ude the escape rules in a cage match. Cage matches are made for one reason so that no one will be able to escape from the oponent. And why would the one who runs away fastest win the match? That makes no sense at all.

* Stop the GM thing. They havent used it as much lately as before but it has still been done and nothing fun comes from it. There is just so many times you care about Bischoff making a handicap match between two heels and a face.

* less run ins and ref-bumps during big matches. They have become better at this but they often use ref-bumps when they arent even needed for the ending of the match.

* Boxing style intros for the wrestlers when its a title match.

* make use of a tale of the tape

* Try to introduce new commentary teams. JR and King are both pretty stale and boring and I dont like Cole and Coach. Josh is pretty good so make more use of him for example. He know pro-wrestling good as well.

* I want more distinct personalities. Right now they dont have to many different people with distinct and individual personalities. We have the narcissist thing done by Masters, Sylvan (I guess) and Conway. Then we have alot of "Im just here persons like OJ, Shelton etc. And then we have the "Im big and therefore dangerous" people like Tomko, Kane, Snitsky, Batista etc.

* Try to book in advance. Think long term and not short term.

A friend (Perkoff) told me this as well. Maybe its only fun because we both like Puroresu. He had a idea that they could use Funaki as a part of the american announce team but he would speak Japanese. he would only say things maybe 15 second during a match. Preferable when someone made a big power move or a lariat. It would be hilarious to hear someone scream "Lariatoooooo" or "Power bombuhhhhhhh". Take this with a grain of salt. Its just something I would think was fun.

I agree with a lot of what you said, but I'll add a few of my own:

- Make a "trade" where Jim Ross goes to Smackdown and Michael Cole goes to RAW. Granted, would probably never happen, but would freshen both shows a lot. I really think a JR/Tazz combo would be effective, though.

- Re-do RAW's set...it's basically been the same since 1999 or so...yeah, it's been changed a little here and there, but it's basically the same stale set. I'd get rid of the entrance ramp, like theInsane suggested. Keep the Titantron, move the announcers back down to ringside. Maybe change the lighting setup or something.

- Run-ins need to be more realistic...no more having a guy's music and video come up when they run in during a match.

- No more (or very limited) backstage segments. Everything should happen in front of the crowd. Do interview segments at ringside. All angles should happen in the arena in front of the crowd. No more locker room angles that don't make any sense since (for instance) a camera man would have no reason to tape Teddy Long talking on his cell phone, etc.

- I don't think the tag titles should be unified, since both shows realistically need to still have tag matches to fill up shows...however, I would start packaging together midcarders who aren't doing much into teams. They are starting this with the apparent Viscera/Val Venis team, but there are a lot of other guys not doing much who would benefit from this. The New LOD on Smackdown is fine right now, since they have some credibility as two tough guys who have a reason to be together, but there should be a bunch of teams other than MNM trying to take the belts off them. Hurricane and Rosey have been booked so badly lately that they should lose the belts ASAP. I would band together two upper-midcard heels to get the belts off them (maybe Tomko and Conway, as hass been suggested), and then start having face teams come after them.

- Bring back King of the Ring...when booked properly, it can do a lot to elevate a midcarder into the upper card. Look back at what it did for guys like Kurt Angle, Owen Hart, and Triple H. Have it be a one night 8 man tournament like in the old days (qualifiers would still be on the tv shows).

- Get rid of having GMs, commisioners, presidents, etc. This is just a huge booking crutch that the writers need to get away from. Bischoff should either be promoted to "WWE President" or demoted to a manager position by Vince. Making him president (as has been suggested previously on this board), would limit his screen time a lot, and he could make appearances only to announce big title matches, render decisions, etc. Make him more impartial (like he was when he started as RAW's GM...making matches with the most appeal to benefit the show). No more GMs trying to screw over the faces just for the sake of being assholes...this isn't 1998 anymore. Teddy Long I think could stay as Smackdown GM for a while, but I still think WWE needs to get away from the whole figurehead driving the show mentality.

- Make title matches mean something. I like the idea of the boxing style announcements for title matches...they toyed around with this around 2001, doing it with Benoit vs Austin on RAW once. I think it would add a lot of importance to title matches, something that has been lost quite a bit.

- Bring back managers, valets. Guys like Tyson Tomko would have been instantly packaged with a heel mouth-piece back in the day. There aren't too many good managers out there anymore, but maybe they could start creating some in OVW and bringing them up slowly. Turn some of the "divas" into valets (and that doesn't mean they have to be dating the guy in the storyline or something).

- Give every guy on the show some kind of storyline or motivation. This was one thing Vince Russo was good at, despite his faults. Everyone from Steve Austin down to Gillberg had some kind of angle, feud, or storyline going.

- Bring stables/gangs back. Since Evolution is gone on RAW, there aren't any real groups going right now. The Cabinet is basically nothing on Smackdown at this point. I think we need to see one of the upper heels on one of the shows (Kurt Angle would be perfect, since they are moving him back into the main event picture) get together with two or three mid card heels and really establish themselves as a threat to the show. You could have the group dominate for a while, then finally have a group of faces band together, and have a big blowoff in a gimmick match (Wargames would be perfect if they can bring it back). And it would draw money, too.

- Give the fans what they want. Push guys who the crowd likes. There's no reason someone like RVD shouldn't be in the main event by now, based on the crowd reactions he gets. WWE tries to force feed guys to the fans, and it usually backfires on them. Guys like Austin and Rock got over because the crowd liked their natural personalities and started giving them massive pops, not because the announcers told us every five seconds that they were the "next big thing".

- Bring back Brock Lesnar. Accept the fact that he made a mistake and put WWE in a bad position when he left. I'm sorry, but WWE needs a big name to come in right now and spark things a bit, and Lesnar would be perfect...he has huge credibility, and is still young and can work. Opportunities like that don't come around too often.

Whew...that's about all I can think of right now. Essentially, and this ties into pretty much all my suggestions...WWE needs to re-invent itself again. They need to get out of the "1998 Monday Night Wars" mentality and into a "2005, we're the biggest wrestling promotion on the planet and we need to act like it" mentality.

Grouped by big things and small things:

Big Things

-get rid of Big Show

-release Road Warrior Animal

-get rid of Stephanie McMahon

Small Things

-push the cruiserweight division

-give Spanky more airtime

I don't think they can get rid of the Big Show, can they? He's not a huge problem though really. And I hardly think Steph is ever going anywhere. Yeah Animal shouldn't be around anymore but him being around doesn't do great harm to the show. That said you are right about pushing cruisers more, CM.

What I think is needed is a variety of in ring styles. Not every match should be a boring middle of the ring affair with guys doing fucking headlocks and armbars. Look at a show like WM 17. You have the wild WWF main event style match in Rock/Austin, an over the top spotfest in TLC II (with some cruiser type overtones), you have a classic wrestling contest (Angle/Benoit), also a violent hardcore match (Raven/Show/Kane). All that is missing is a true cruiser type match.

Invader, it's funny what you said about pushing guys like RVD that are actually over instead of hyping someone as "The Next Big Thing" and then in the same breath insist they bring back Lesnar.

Call it fool's hope, but I do think RVD will get pushed when he gets back.

Honestly, the gimmick matches on TV annoy the shit out of me right now. It seems like for every feud, the pattern is straight match on PPV followed by two or three meaningless gimmick matches on Raw. Basically, it's like they just wrestle for the hell of it, and the wins and losses mean absolutely nothing.

People who previously held world titles SHOULD NOT hold undercard belts. I don't care how badly Jericho has been buried, he's a former undisputed champion, he should not be going after the IC title, ditto for Benoit and the US belt.

Invader, it's funny what you said about pushing guys like RVD that are actually over instead of hyping someone as "The Next Big Thing" and then in the same breath insist they bring back Lesnar.

Call it fool's hope, but I do think RVD will get pushed when he gets back.

Yeah, I know, I was being slightly ironic there. Lesnar would be over huge if he came back. I think, while Lesnar did get crammed down our throats upon his debut, he would have gotten over either way...I mean, it's not hard to get a reaction from the crowd when you can lift someone like Big Show on your shoulders, and wrestle like Kurt Angle at the same time...

Guest Biggles

Something needs to be done about the CW Division. They hired Juvi, Psychosis, and Super Crazy to come back... and they dont even wrestle cruiserweight matches. They attacked Paul London early on, but that led to nothing. Now they just come to the ring and attack random stars like Booker T and Christian.

The cruiserweight division could be strong and entertaining with guys like Paul London, the Mexicools, Billy Kidman, Akio, Spike Dudley, Funaki, and Jamie Noble, but all of them are either released, misused, or underappreciated.

* Boxing style intros for the wrestlers when its a title match.

Tale of the Tape or the KEN KENNEDY.....KEN-NE-DY. I know good ol JR would have fun going though the Tale of the Tape, finally having a reason to go through the weight, height, home town, and past football history hype.

- Bring back managers

Matt Hardy, Shelton Benjamin, and majority of the tag teams need managers.

* Dont waste big gimmick matches on the tv shows.

Jeff Hardy basically killed the ladder gimmick by having 5 matches in a row on Raw.

Get rid of the fourth wall

Um, what?

The fourth wall

The crowd used to be an interactive element that wrestlers would draw from, much like the crowd of a real sporting event. Nearly all interactivity between wrestlers and crowds seems to have ceased, though. In essence, WWE wrestling has moved behind a fourth wall, becoming not much different than a sitcom ('Taped in front of a live studio audience.") where wrestlers and other WWE characters only acknowledge other wrestlers/characters and ignore the audience.

That doesn't necessarily apply to just promos/"sketches" either, but also in matches. I remember a couple years back when Hogan was in-between WWE stints and would talk about how in his matches with newer wrestlers like Lesnar, the wrestlers would adamantly stick to the script, rather than realizing what the crowd liked and deviating to run with that instead.

Guest Coffey

Quit during "surprise" returns of old wrestlers. When someone that's going to make an impact shows up, that's cool. When you have people like Hogan, Foley & Piper showing up though...ewww.

Thanks for clarifying. I agree, the wrestlers sometimes really do not react to the crowds at all. If the fans are showing that they don't like how a match is going, the wrestlers should be professional enough to change the pace of the match.

Yes, the planned matches need to go. I know Cornette is all for that idea. A match has to be executed so that it can change if the crowd response is other than what they plan for. Sometimes matches are just totally un-harmonious with the audience. Spots should be planned but not every single thing that happens in the match. Improvise! Im sure its better than what they are currently doing. It will make it easier on the wrestlers as well. More freedom to act like what the situation calls for.

Guest JMA

- Get rid of the unbelievably stupid angles on both shows. This is is really the main thing that needs to be changed with WWE. They need to do away with the following: Jillian's "mole from hell", LOD 2K5, Simon Dean, and Viscera's "Sexual Chocolate Version Two" gimmick.

- End the brand split and cancel Smackdown!. The brand split (along with bad booking) has killed the tag division and limited the amount of feuds we could be seeing. It was created to give all the members of the surplus roster a chance to shine and give the illusion of competition. It's done neither of those things. Raw should be the WWE's main show, with Heat as their only secondary show. Heat would be like it was in the old days, with major stuff actually happening. It would give lower card wrestlers a chance to shine and we'd even see a few squash matches and try-outs for indy guys. Heat would be live, BTW.

- Fire or demote wrestlers who aren't pulling their weight. Since I'm ending the brand split, the roster will need to be trimmed down quite a bit. Wrestlers/personalities I'd fire are as follows: Viscera, Tomko, Heidenreich, Animal, Hardcore Holly, and Sylvain Grenier. Wrestlers/personalities I'd send to OVW: Jillian Hall (so people can forget the mole thing), Kane (so he can develop a new gimmick), Gene Snitsky, Rosey (after he and Hurricane lose the belts), and Todd Grisham (to learn how to be good). Wrestlers/personalities I'd send to Deep South Wrestling: Christy Hemme, Ashley (in about two months), Candice, and Maria.

- Repackage characters who have stale or bad gimmicks. There are lots of talented guys stuck with personas that are going nowhere. Val Venis, Hurricane, Kane, and Simon Dean are just a few of them. Val should be repackaged as Chief Morley and be OJ's replacement as JBL's Chief of Staff. Hurricane could become a crazy Scientologist, along with a deluded girlfriend Stacy Keibler (they can be together again since the brad split is over). I don't know what to do with Kane--Lord Humongous II, maybe? Simon Dean should just revert back to his Nova gimmick.

- Retire the women's division. At this point, Trish should just retire her title, having beaten everyone.

- Create a decent tag team division. You could have the following division: The Heart Throbs (Romeo and Antonio) w/ Mo' Green, The Big Show and Shelton Benjamin, Lance Cade and Trevor Murdoch, The Lords of the Ring (Nick Dinsmore and Rob Conway) w/ Torrie Wilson, The Shane Twins (Mike and Todd Shane) w/ Eric Bischoff, The Bourgeoisie (Kerwin White and Rene Dupree), MNM (Johnny Nitro and Joey Mercury) w/ Melina, FBI (Nunzio and Big Vito), The Mexicools (Super Crazy, Juventud, and Psicosis), Stevie Richards and Nova, The Thrillseeker (Johnny Jeter and Matt Capotelli), Team Toland (Chad and John Toland) w/ Teddy Long, and The Young Lions (Spanky and Paul London).

- No more authority figures for at least seven years. The authority figure premise has been done to death and needs to go away for a long time. Bischoff and Long can become managers.

- Revamp the announcers and prepare for the future. Raw should remain with the three person team for the time being, while heat should consist of Michael Cole and Tazz. Later on, Lawler would be replaced with Heyman and Lawler would become a trainer at OVW. Cole would move to a non-televised position backstage while Matthews would replace him on Heat. From there, WWE would need to start looking for replacements for Ross (who only has two years in him at best). There are some guys on the indy scene they could audition for this.

- Bring back managers and valets. Bring up Mo' Green and put him back with the Heart Throbs. Put Teddy Long with Chad and John Toland. Stick Torrie Wilson with Dinsmore and Conway. Keep Melina with MNM. Put Bischoff with the Shane Twins. As for the single guys: RVD could be given Heyman as a mouthpiece. Edge will have Lita as his valet until he dumps her. Trish could hook up with Christian again. Sharmell would stay with Booker. Helms would have Stacy. Victoria would rejoin the Damaja. Coach could join a non-JBL affiliated Orlando Jordan.

- Reduce the number of PPV. With the brand split over, there will obviously be less PPVs. But I want to decrease the once a month thing. We can't go back to four PPVs a year again, but we can have less than twelve. The big four are the same: Summerslam, Survivor Series, Royal Rumble, and WrestleMania. I'd say we'd need four more to add, which would be King of the Ring, No Mercy, Bad Blood, and Backlash.

- Reduce the number of titles. The only titles in WWE should be the WWE title, the IC title, the Cruiseweight title, and the tag team titles. JBL could hold the non-sanctioned Million Dollar title (which he'll claim to have bought from DBiase).

- Less backstage segments. This one is pretty self-explanatory.

Guest Coffey

These threads always turn into whom people would fire. If WWE were smart, they wouldn't have to fire anyone because they could make fans care about anyone if booked correctly. With the right push, gimmick, etc. I believe anyone can make money. It takes a smart creative to get it done. So firing half the roster isn't the answer.

Guest JMA
These threads always turn into whom people would fire. If WWE were smart, they wouldn't have to fire anyone because they could make fans care about anyone if booked correctly. With the right push, gimmick, etc. I believe anyone can make money. It takes a smart creative to get it done. So firing half the roster isn't the answer.

The writers don't have the ability to make that work. They've constantly shown themselves to be bad at worst and mediocre at best.

Honestly, I wouldn't retire the women's division. I'd hire attractive female wrestlers, so the attractiveness is there, but the wrestling is there for wrestling fans, women (who can relate to personalities) and teen (or younger) girls to look up to. They did a good job of this with Lita (well, not the good wrestler part...) and she was making WWE money. Candace Michelle isn't by standing there and looking pretty.

Good ideas...here's a few of mine.

Occasional title changes on the house shows and live shows. Obviously I don't want a title changing hands on every show...but if you do it every once in a while it makes every show worth seeing. Especially when you have a title change on a house show...adds to that "Anything Can Happen" feel the product needs right now.

Do away with the CW division and introduce a Television title. Of course...it has to have the old rules in which the champ defends his title automatically every time he appears on TV. Have the TV champ go back and forth between the two brands, it gives the undercards on both shows a chance to shine. I'd also combine the tag titles and have the tag champs going between the two shows. What the hell...do the same with the World titles...keep the IC belt on RAW and the US belt on SD but have the other titles on either show.

- No more "we have nothing for you" firings. They could figure something out for half the people they said that to if they weren't so busy planning stupid soap opera stuff. If they still can't find something for that person, well then they need to hire new writers.

- Wake up to the fact that the hollywood writers aren't working. Not only are they not working, but they are one of the biggest problems in the WWE today. Maybe, with all his faults, Dusty Rhodes will atleast bring an old school mentality to the creative team...or his head will explode from the stupid questions they ask.

- Vince should actually help another wrestling fed get on it's feet so it can become competition. I know this will never happen, but it would be nice. Seeing as Vince created this monopoly that's put wrestling in a slump he should be the one that helps bring it back out of the slump. He's rich enough that he could help TNA get on their feet. Problem is he'd see it as them owing him something in return...like creative control or talent raiding whenever he wanted...so it would be sabotaged before it began. But if it did happen it would be a sort of good publicity for Vince. Everything comes full circle. His dad put so many territories out of business, so Vince helps one get on it's feet years later.

I'll write more later as I have to go now.

Guest JMA
Occasional title changes on the house shows and live shows.  Obviously I don't want a title changing hands on every show...but if you do it every once in a while it makes every show worth seeing.  Especially when you have a title change on a house show...adds to that "Anything Can Happen" feel the product needs right now.

I like the idea of titles changing on house shows myself. It would add some much needed realism. Also, I think it would be cool if WWE had the best house show matches available for download on their website.

Most of this has already been said but I will repeat it anyway.

Build up the titles.Even if everything else is going wrong you can try to make the title matches the most important.

Get rid of the womens/cruiser belts.Nobody cares about womens matches and the cw title will never be pushed so why have it.Nobody will miss either one.

Build up the tag divisions.I don't care if they have to put two jobbers together.The new age outlaws were popular and they were two low card guys.You don't know what you have until you try.

Keep the production guys.They are great.

Like already said,Have hell in a cell or elimination chamber be a once a year event but only a once a year event.

Have boxing like intros for the title matches.It will make them feel more special.

Less ppvs.It won't happen but the only ppv that anyone cares about is wrestlemania.They all seem the same because there are too many.

Bring back the survivor tag matches for the survivor series.Maybe 4 survivor tag matches and 2 title matches.I liked those.

Keep the 3 man announce team.

No backstage segments.I hate when you see two wrestlers talking in the lockerroom and its suppose to be secret.If its a secret then why is there a camera in the lockerroom for everyone to see you.

Maybe have a top 10 like wcw did in the early 90s.It will give some matches more of a purpose.

No ppv match packages during the ppv.It wastes too much time.

Last,Have different style of matches.Every match has the same moves and it makes it very boring very fast.Lets say you have an 8 match card.Here is a single brand ppv.

1.regular 8-10 minute match with 2 good workers to get the crowd into it.

2.a cruiser weight type match

3.a title match

4.a squash type match to introduce/build up someone new.

5.a brawl/no dq style match

6.another title match

7.a filler match so that the crowd is ready for the main event

8.world title match

I think they need to keep some wrestlers separate for an extended period of time. That also includes the tag matches which include random people who happen to be fueding or whatever. I honestly feel as though I've seen every possible combination of matches already and nothing seems new because of it.

I hate when you see two wrestlers talking in the lockerroom and its suppose to be secret.If its a secret then why is there a camera in the lockerroom for everyone to see you.

That's the whole fourth wall thing

Scripting is my biggest problem with WWE today--it makes the show seem overly manufactured and it makes it way too hard to get behind today's characters since the majority of their promos come off as if their voices aren't their own.

The backstage skits don't need to be done away with, but they do need to be revamped to seem more spontaneous...more realistic. I mentioned this a while back, but they'd benefit a lot from--rather than showing an entire segment where Teddy Long meets up with a UPN exec and discusses the direction of Smackdown--having a camera cut in in the middle of the meeting, filming things from...not necessarily a distance, but one that's not blatantly intrusive to the wrestlers so you won't have to work as hard to come up with an excuse to why they're there, why the wrestlers don't see them, etc. This along with less-scripted dialogue would add a lot of realism to the show IMO.

Also, there needs to be more focus on in ring competition. One thing I hate about WWE now is that a lot of these guys seemingly wrestle for no reason. You don't hear about money, about rewards...I can't even remember the last time I've heard that a win or a loss would bring someone a step closer/further from a shot at the title. Right now, it seems as if the only reason people even wrestle at all is to settle grudges, which seems kinda stupid when you think about it. They need to develop some kind of rankings system--maybe a point system, so that way they can keep fans updated on wrestlers' progress during control center-like segments on Raw and Smackdown--and have these be the deciding factor in who gets gets title shots. The more focus on actual ring competition, the less they'll have to worry about coming up with storylines for the non-main eventers, because they'll have a built in storyline right here. And they need to do away with that "guy attacks champion, gets a title shot" stuff they always run.

Other stuff...I'd definitely like to see the I-C Division built up again, since that was always my favorite belt when I was younger...same with the tag belts and other secondary titles.

They should definitely cut down on the amount of PPVs.

More variety in matches.

Guest JesusJuiced

re: The Forth Wall

It really needs to be eliminated in backstage segements. Of all the unrealistic aspects of WWE (and God, there's a lot of them), that wrestlers have private conversations with a camera man present just beggars belief. It'll be hard to work around but at least TNA and RoH have attempted to work around it with secret tapings.

re: The Forth Wall

It also needs to be eliminated in backstage segements. Of all the unrealistic aspects of WWE (and God, there's a lot of them), that wrestlers have private conversations with a camera man present just beggars belief. It'll be hard to work around but at least TNA and RoH have attempted to work around it with secret tapings.

In an E-Fed I had, we joked that they were a combination of floating camera bots hiding in places and ninja cameramen.