TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bradolson

XBox 360 at Amazon.com - No Bundles Needed

Why does anyone want the systems at launch when we know for a fact the PS3 will be buggy as hell, possibly with one that causes the discs to melt inside the system and that the Xbox360 will have some important part that has a 75% chance of bursting into flames if you leave it on too long.

I know I'm waiting almost a year or more for a new system, when they release the second run that won't break down in year one.

Eh, it just tells me you can't preorder it except through a third party, none of whom are listed. I'm still betting I'll have to go through Best Buy if I want to get it at launch. Still figuring out if I can afford it AND Christmas for the family though.

Not needed, my cousin just won one from mountain dew. And his place is the only place i play video games. The 360 will probably be too high tech for me, I have enough troubles playing a regular Xbox.

Guest MikeSC

What I don't get is why Microsoft hasn't announced an official release date yet. It comes out in two months. You might want to let people know a concrete date (the one I've heard bandied around most is 11/15).

Why does anyone want the systems at launch when we know for a fact the PS3 will be buggy as hell, possibly with one that causes the discs to melt inside the system and that the Xbox360 will have some important part that has a 75% chance of bursting into flames if you leave it on too long.

I know I'm waiting almost a year or more for a new system, when they release the second run that won't break down in year one.

Because I want it now. If it breaks I'll buy a new one.

I don't think I'm preordering. I'll wait at a store open 24 hours and get it on midnight like I did with Xbox 1.

What I don't get is why Microsoft hasn't announced an official release date yet. It comes out in two months. You might want to let people know a concrete date (the one I've heard bandied around most is 11/15).

Huh, I actually heard a rumor that Microsoft was going to promote a widespread pillaging by bringing it out the day after Thanksgiving, the busiest shopping day of the year. That would be a mess unless everybody did preorders or midnight lineups. A launch crowd + Christmas shoppers = disaster.

Huh, I actually heard a rumor that Microsoft was going to promote a widespread pillaging by bringing it out the day after Thanksgiving, the busiest shopping day of the year. That would be a mess unless everybody did preorders or midnight lineups. A launch crowd + Christmas shoppers = disaster.

A-fucking-men to that... I remember all of the shopping nightmare stories surrounding these game systems and they get worse and worse with every generation... though the PS2 craze was horrible, I think the XBox craze was even worse than that.

I had people praising me and shaking my hand last X-mas, as apparently Fort Erie was the only place in the area, on both sides of the border, that had PS2's.

We had people telling us that there had been parents leaving stores in tears, and actual fistfights breaking out in Best Buys.

And this was four years after PS2 came out. I can't even imagine the hub bub if 360 came out after Mid-November.

Most retailers are saying early Nov. I doubt they'd do it the Sunday after Thanksgiving.

I don't think there will be the shortage like PS2 had. The entire reason for launching early is to have as many units out there before PS3 hits. They're going to have tons of them ready for launch.

Is there an actual reason anyone would buy the 299 verison? I mean...stupid people, sure, but beyond that?

Not that I'd EVER pay that for a system, but still. 299 with basicly nothing, or 399 with a bunch of shit that will easily cost you MORE then a hundred bucks? Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

I had people praising me and shaking my hand last X-mas, as apparently Fort Erie was the only place in the area, on both sides of the border, that had PS2's.

We had people telling us that there had been parents leaving stores in tears, and actual fistfights breaking out in Best Buys.

Jesus H. Christ.

They're only video game systems.

Jesus H. Christ.

They're only video game systems.

Remember Cabbage Patch Dolls? Or Beanie Babies? People are wierd about things, especially when it's seen as "the next big thing in..."

Me, I got to Best Buy about 10 PM the night before the PS2 launched and they had 100 systems. That's it. They weren't even holding any back for display. I was like #37 in a line that stretched about 1/4 mile around the corner of the strip mall by the time they handed out the redeemable coupons, for which you had to come back at 9 AM to trade it in for a system.

I hope this time they just sell the systems at midnight. Seeing as how I don't get to sleep until 5 in the morning, that's still a lot of time to play Gun, Elder Scrolls, Perfect Dark, or whatever I can afford.

Waiting in line will be kind of fun.

The only launch title I know I'll get is DOA4. I'll get Call of Duty 2 and Quake IV if they make launch. PD Zero is up in the air. It looks awful but I have a tiny bit of faith because it's Rare. Rare kinda sucks now, but they did GE and KI so they will forever get respect from me.

Really though the launch titles and games annouced for later look weak. There is nothing in the 360 lineup that I have to have. I only want one because it's new and I liked Xbox1.

Conspiracy Victim, I too had to do the coupon thing at a Target in my area when the PS2 launched. They had 30 systems for the launch, so me and a buddy showed up at 4 am, and got redeemable coupon #27. 8 am rolls around, an hour before the store opens, and theres easily 300 people in line. So, the door opens and these people bum rush the electronics department, most of them oblivious to the fact that theres no way in hell theyre getting a system because they dont have the little pink coupon.

I did manage to get my system through all the chaos, and get the joy of hearing a middle eastern guy yelling at the store manager in broken english about how the coupon deal was not fair and he was never shopping at Target ever again.

Im still debating on whether to try to brave the launch day crowds at Target, or wait a little while for new, bug free systems to be available.

Guest MikeSC

I'd have to imagine MS would have to hope for Christmas time to be the time to purchase the money maker --- games. I can't imagine they'd wait until after Thanksgiving to finally launch it.

They're not even clear on what is going to be launch and what isn't. It seems very disorganized. Hard to believe it's only a couple months away.

I hope my Dreambox converter works on 360. That pad looks awful for fighters. Triggers are lame.

If you live near a Gamecrazy they're just doing system pre-orders. They should be on their second shipment, so I recommand going there if you can and have you ever seen a parent or a kid whose looking for a new system during the holiday season....ITS FUCKING SCARY! After the DS came out I had a lot of people who were looking for one, I had the same people calling 3 times a day for day on end looking for one. I'd put people on a waiting list, meaning if one came in we'd call them and let them know one came in, THEY'D STILL CALL ME DAY IN AND DAY OUT and beg me to get them one. I had people trying to bribe me for one, I had grown parents whining that they couldn't get one cause I didn't have one it was insane. It'll be twice as worse for the 360.....I can't wait, I kinda find it fun to turn these people down, espically when their whining...yes i know i'm a son of a bitch.

I am torn. Get it now, and you have a better chance to hack into that puppy and do all kinda cool stuff with it before Microsoft finds out about it, OR get one when its cheaper and probably more stable....decisions decisions.

You get one now and wait till it's sold out everywhere, and then sell it on e-bay for a grand or more. When PS2 sold out at the first launch peeps were selling them on e-bay for 1500 dollars.

Ahem, ahem... Per IGN:

"TOKYO Sept. 15, 2005 Fueling global anticipation for the arrival of its powerful new video game and entertainment system, Microsoft Corp. today announced that Xbox 360 will arrive on store shelves Tuesday, Nov. 22 in North America, Friday, Dec. 2 in Europe, and Saturday, Dec. 10 in Japan. The announcement, made on the eve of Tokyo Game Show 2005, marked the first time that a game console will be launched in three territories in the same time frame. In preparation for what is expected to be massive worldwide demand for the new system, Microsoft also announced that Xbox 360 manufacturing is under way, with state-of-the-art facilities producing millions of units ultimately bound for frenzied gamers' homes from Osaka, Japan, to Oxford, England, and Orlando, Fla.

"This holiday season, gamers in Japan, Europe and North America pining to experience jaw-dropping high-definition graphics, unmatched online play and compelling digital entertainment features of Xbox 360 will finally have the chance," said Robbie Bach, chief Xbox officer for Microsoft. "Renowned development studios around the world are busy putting the finishing touches on their Xbox 360 games. We expect a strong portfolio of titles on launch day and through the holidays that will appeal to fans of every genre and gamers in every region, and with more than 200 games currently in development, continuous new additions to the library are on the way."

So, it's coming out right BEFORE Thanksgiving. Well, could be worse. Bach seems to be speaking corporateese for "We might have a pretty decent launch and some good stuff before Christmas. We're not completely sure yet." Assumming I can find someone who is willing to risk dismemberment by holding me a spot in line, I'll probably pick it up.