TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
keith6601

Family Guy Switched

Guest cosbywasmurdered
Yes, I suppose "Family Guy" isn't up to the wonderful animation standards of "South Park", the writing standards of Kevin Smith, or the family-friendliness of "The Simpsons".

Shit-fucking-Christ...what a bunch of goddamned hypocrites.

It's the Ren and Stimpy people who critized the animation. And Simpson's is more family friendly than Family Guy. Especially the older episodes.

Yes, I suppose "Family Guy" isn't up to the wonderful animation standards of "South Park", the writing standards of Kevin Smith, or the family-friendliness of "The Simpsons".

Shit-fucking-Christ...what a bunch of goddamned hypocrites.

It's the Ren and Stimpy people who critized the animation. And Simpson's is more family friendly than Family Guy. Especially the older episodes.

1) I don't remember "Ren and Stimpy" exactly being Akira either.

2) They didn't exactly criticize "Family Guy" for not being family friendly when they were making those alledged family friendly older episodes, now did they?

Family Guy wasn't on then.

**sigh**

You totally missed the point.

I'll rephrase:

If being family friendly is such a wonderful thing in the eyes of "the Simpsons" producers, then why has the family friendliness of "the Simpsons" declined in recent years?

Guest JMA

It's important to remember that The Simpsons wasn't exactly considered "family friendly" when it first came on. Then again, people had different standards back then--we've loosened up quite a lot as a society.

I can only imagine how pissed off people would be if South Park was on television in 1989.

There were some funny moments on Family Guy and I missed American Dad, but I did see the Simpsons. Just kill the show now, it's just bad. Can someone tell me what happened on American Dad? If I remember correctly, the animation/drawing on Ren and Stimpy wasn't exactly cutting edge either.

Well John K. (and many Spumco fanboys) have struck me as bitter old you-know-what's from time to time...

As for me, John K. lost whatever respect I had left for him with the Spike R&S's. So you got your babies back from Nickelodeon finally, you're primed to make this big comeback, so what do you do??? Make R&S the Unambiguously Gay Duo! Suuuuuuuuuubtle.

Actually as a whole, that show doesn't hold up (my tastes in television have changed a lot, though).... the 30-minute bathroom jokes don't cut it anymore. Rocko's Modern Life was better IMO.

As for Kevin Smith, I won't judge his work (I actually like some of it), but can you count him as an authority on quality when he said that Episode III (Revenge of the NOOOOOOOOOO!) totally made up for the other two Star Wars prequels?!!?

"South Park", while still funny, is no near as popular as it used to be.

Because it's become more involved in current events and has a different spin on things. Personally, I like South Park now more than I ever did before, and for the most part Trey and Matt annoy the crap out of me.

I do like how they parody (often truthfully) certain media darlings, where other shows don't have the guts to (don't want to risk them turning down a guest spot, do we?)

Well, as much as I enjoy "Family Guy", I will say that it's not perfect. It's biggest flaws are 1.) It rellies to heavily on pop-culture gags and "Hey remeber that time when" jokes. I get it guys, you were raised on 70's and 80's pop culture, now give it a rest! The other problem is 2.) Other than Brian, none of the characters are the least bit likeable. Some would disagree with me, or argue that it's the point of the show, but that's just my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.

If you don't like Stewie you don't have a soul. Or you're not as totally nuts as I am ;-)

If FG was a wrestling match, would I be correct in saying you'd call it a spotfest? That much is true sometimes, but I tend to like spotfests and otherwise as long as they entertain me.

As for

Many shows and writers have been openly critical of Family Guy. Most famously, three blatant potshots have been featured in The Simpsons: in one episode Family Guy was referred to as "crude, low-brow programming", another featured Peter Griffin included in a group of Homer Simpson clones, and in yet another episode, Bart Simpson was insulted when somebody called him a "family guy". Numerous writers associated with The Simpsons, such as Al Jean, David X. Cohen, Matt Selman, Tim Long and Joel Cohen have insulted the show during public appearances and in interviews. Executive producer Mike Reiss, however, has said that he enjoys Family Guy and that other Simpsons creators dislike the show because they believe it's inappropriate for their children.

Sounds like someone wants to protect their spot, huh? (Another wrestling link, people who don't want to pass the torch)

I guess that does explain the "Stewie, are there any plans to bring back Futurama?" followed by Stewie breaking his neck in the Family guy movie.

OMG~! Spoilers!!!

There were some funny moments on Family Guy and I missed American Dad, but I did see the Simpsons. Just kill the show now, it's just bad. Can someone tell me what happened on American Dad? If I remember correctly, the animation/drawing on Ren and Stimpy wasn't exactly cutting edge either.

Well John K. (and many Spumco fanboys) have struck me as bitter old you-know-what's from time to time...

As for me, John K. lost whatever respect I had left for him with the Spike R&S's. So you got your babies back from Nickelodeon finally, you're primed to make this big comeback, so what do you do??? Make R&S the Unambiguously Gay Duo! Suuuuuuuuuubtle.

Actually as a whole, that show doesn't hold up (my tastes in television have changed a lot, though).... the 30-minute bathroom jokes don't cut it anymore. Rocko's Modern Life was better IMO.

As for Kevin Smith, I won't judge his work (I actually like some of it), but can you count him as an authority on quality when he said that Episode III (Revenge of the NOOOOOOOOOO!) totally made up for the other two Star Wars prequels?!!?

Another word on Spumco, if I may...they also do seem to me to be one of those uber-anti-mainstream types (I seek alternatives to network crap as much as the next person, but some of these people just take it too far), so of course they'll lash out against anything on the networks or major cable channels. Probably doesn't help that they've struck out a lot there...R&S/Nick we all know about (yes it was underhanded in places, and the Games Era episodes sucked...but really didn't part of it come about because of Kricfalusi refusing to get along with Nick?). Their ill-conceived comeback on TNN/Spike just lowered the bar. Meanwhile, stuff like Ripping Friends didn't exactly set the world on fire, now did it? And what happened to the new Mighty Mouse (which John K. was a part of) and CBS probably wouldn't make their assessment of the network world any better.

Simpsons crew just want to protect their spot, like I said (didn't they lash out against Ren and Stimpy a lot when it was still hot, oddly enough? Anyway they are just like Undertaker...been around since 1990 and don't want to go away, and no one else will let them because it's a "legend"). Parker and Stone hate everyone, I guess. Kevin Smith I don't know.

To lighten the subject, do we know any animators who DO respect Seth?

And as for AmDad...I think I was one of the only ones who believed in that show from day one ;-)

To lighten the subject, do we know any animators who DO respect Seth?

The creators of "Aqua Teen Hunger Force" enjoy it, as do most of the Adult Swim guys. Seth even appeared on an "Aqua Teen" episode.

Simpsons crew just want to protect their spot, like I said (didn't they lash out against Ren and Stimpy a lot when it was still hot, oddly enough?

Marge: How many times can you laugh at that cat getting hit by the moon?

Bart: It's a _new_ episode.

Lisa: Not exactly...they pieced it together from old shows, but itcseems new to the trusting eyes of impressionable youth.

Bart: Really?

Lisa: Ren and Stimpy do it all the time.

Marge: Yes they do, and when was the last time you heard anyone talk about Ren and Stimpy?

Not the only time, I know, but one that immediately came to mind

Simpsons crew just want to protect their spot, like I said (didn't they lash out against Ren and Stimpy a lot when it was still hot, oddly enough?

Marge: How many times can you laugh at that cat getting hit by the moon?

Bart: It's a _new_ episode.

Lisa: Not exactly...they pieced it together from old shows, but itcseems new to the trusting eyes of impressionable youth.

Bart: Really?

Lisa: Ren and Stimpy do it all the time.

Marge: Yes they do, and when was the last time you heard anyone talk about Ren and Stimpy?

Not the only time, I know, but one that immediately came to mind

On the episode where Homer got a foster son, and Bart a foster dad, they were watching a scene from a mock R&S...only it was a dead ringer for the actual show (I think John K. was given credit for the characters in the closing credits)

Then there was the one with the animation Emmys clip...the nominations of which included a He-Man knockoff (eerily looking like Filmation's work)...and R&S (represented by a "episode not finished" (?) slide)