TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lil' Bitch

Anybody get into DC's Elseworlds?

I've been out of the comic loops for years now so I don't know if they still make these or not, but the fact that DC had their own version of Marvel's What If was pretty cool. I had a comic called Speeding Bullets where Superman was Batman and another one where the JLA was in the future with Lex Luthor's brain in Metallo's body, I forgot the title though of it though.

What do you guys think? Any favorite particular stories? Spoilers coming up I guess so beware!

I only ever read one Elseworlds comic, but it was easily one of the best comics I'd ever read.

Basically, Earth was invaded by aliens. The aliens quickly realized that super-humans posed a huge threat to their invasion, so they decreed that anytime a super-human was seen, 10,000 people would be killed. Any time a super-human so much as made a fist, 50,000 would die. This leads to the people of Earth turning against the heros, and most of them retire/die.

The comic picks up about ten years after this occurs. Aliens are in controland everything is peachy, but then the heros obviously make their comeback. They gathered up as many heros as they could find (which was like, 7) and then the story continues in the second comic, which I never read.

There was just a lot of really interesting stuff going on. Like, the Flash is crippled. He has weird leg support things so he can walk, but he can't run. A number of no-super heros (like Robin) amade a last-stand against the aliens, but got slaughtered - Lex Luthor was there though, and not only did he survive, but his brain ended up in Metallo, and he changed his name to Metallex.

Best of all, there was only ONE hero who never, ever gave up. Fucking BATMAN. Since it's in the future, his gadgets are now much more intricate, and he's able to destroy an entire refinery by himself, without leaving any witnesses. The aliens can't even prove that Batman exists, so they don't kill anyone over it. Oh, and when they asked Batman to join their last stand, he told Superman to fuck off.

Not in those words, but close enough.

The story "Golden Age" was an Elseworlds tale, and was damn good. It took place in the late 1940s and showed a twisted version of what happened to the All-Star Squadron after WW2 was over.

I just recently read "JSA: The Liberty Files" TPB, which features an Elseworld's take on some of the JSA & Batman fighting during and after the Second World War. Good stuff.

John Byrne's "Superman/Batman: Generations" was interesting in a nostalgic kind of way, but the sequels were total crap.